FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: FINALLY!!! - Start Of Building My Oven

If that were my stand I would be sending it back the fabricator and getting diagonals welded on, especially as you are planning to move it around in a vehicle or trailer. Ovens are heavy.
    I think your 3" floor should be fine. My first oven had a 3" firebrick floor and it fired fine.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David

That's one of the reasons i sent it back. I felt it needed to be streghntened more.

Can i lay my ceramic board directly over the top?
      Will Mortar stick onto ceramic board?

Thanks
      Regards

Comment

I've been looking for Ceramic Blanket and it just struck me now that I'm not sure how much I need.
        My oven dimenions again is a inner diameter of 24" and my dome is 3" thick. The ceramic blanket comes in rolls of 7Meters (Length) X 610MM (Breadth) X 50mm (Thickness). Would it be possible to wrap it around the oven more than once?

Thanks
        Regards

Comment

Can i lay my ceramic board directly over the top?
          Over the top of those thin cross slats? I wouldn't. Insulation has tremendous compressive strength, if you spread the load around, but a thin blade like cross bar will push right into (through?) it.
          My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Point Taken.

So I would guess I have 2 options.

1) Place a 3-5mm metal sheeting over the slats and place the FB ontop

2) Add a thin layer of concrete ontop of the slats and FB ontop.

What about the oven floor and dome; can I smear mortar directly over the FB and let the floor and dome sit directly ontop?

Thanks
            Regards
            OM

Comment

Hi Guys

Please help with these questions.

1) Which will work best. Add a 3mm metal sheet ontop of the slat or cover with a thin layer +-1" of concrete.

2) How much Ceramic Blanket would i need?

3) Does mortar stick directly onto Cermaic Board or do i have to put something else over it before i add the mortar?

Thanks again, much appreciated for all your assistance.

Regards
              OM

Comment

If it were mine I'd go with the first option. 1" of concrete is likely to crack.
                Don't know the area of your dome. Calculate it by 4x 3.142 x r x r then halve it because you have a hemisphere.
                Yes the mortar will stick to the insulating board.

Comment

Hi Guys

I've finally completed the mould design of my vent (took me over a month going back and forth with different ideas) and upon completion just realised that I may have errored in my design.

My final design was a boxed vent, 16" in length, 9" in breadth and 7" in height. The mould was designed such that it curves exactly the same shape as the oven. What I forgot to keep in mind is the vent is now slanting at a 45 degree angle above the entrance (sorry, I aint too good in maths so the degree is just an estimate).

I hope this example makes sense but if I were to lift my head as far back as possible looking towards the sky while keeping my back as straight as possible is the same direction my vent is facing.

Should I have any concerns or can I go straight ahead and start casting it.

Sorry guys, can't take a photo, phone camera has no flash and its pitch black outside.

Thanks
                  Regards
                  OM

Comment

Hi Guys

My words do no justice like that of a picture. It does tell a thousand words.
                    I've managed to take a box and slant it in a similar way as the vent will be slanting in my oven.

Hope it makes better sense than my description.

Thanks
                    Regards
                    OM

Comment

Sorry, I don't really understand your explanation. Maybe you can place it on the oven and take another photo., or just do it, we're all experimenting.

Comment

Ok, I'll try and grab a better picture tomorrow when there's better lighting.

I was also thinking of just going ahead and using it since theoretically speaking, it is directly above the entrance and should still draw the smoke although the flue pipe and vent will be slanted.

The other option is modify my current mould so its straight; just dreading doing that but worst comes to worst, I may have to.

Comment

Hi David

I've taken a photo of how the vent will look over the entrance of my oven.

A friend held the box in place while i took the photo. Excuse the voids in the casted dome pieces, will be sorting those out when assembling the oven.

Let me know what your think.

Thanks
                          Regards
                          OM

Comment

Just put it on and see how it works.

Comment

Yep, thought I'd just go ahead with it.

Thanks

Comment

Hi David

I'm busy trying to locate firebrick and so far most of the suppliers seem to have the same type. The thickness of the bricks are 3" with a alumina content of 35%. I'm a bit worried that the brick is too thick and maybe we should go slightly thinner.

My dome cast pieces are 3" thick so do you think i should stick with the 3" brick to keep a balance?
                                I should be able to get my hands on 2" thick bricks if I look hard enough but my concern on the other hand was if my bricks are thinner than the dome, then it would heat up faster and uneven heating wont be good.
                                Then again, the next question is total heat up time for the oven, thicker bricks = longer heat up time

Sorry i have all these thoughts running through my head and I'm so confused right now, please point me the right directions.
                                Thanks
                                Regards
                                OM

Comment

Working...
                                X