Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Les
    replied
    Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

I would try and incorporate some lighting from the dome. Maybe use glass block as the plug and use it as a light pipe to shine light from the dome to the floor. Don't know if it is possible but that would be slick.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Breven
    replied

Bigger opening to the chimney. I have pretty good draw, but I know the opening is a little too small.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I would not build a house, I would maintain the barrel shape. The roof does serve one purpose, though, it is where I store the oven tools.

Leave a comment:

• kebwi
    replied

I haven't been using my oven very long yet, but I am somewhat perplexed by the challenge to store the numerous peels somewhere relatively nearby. I would give that some thought. Otherwise you have to fetch all these tools from the shed or basement all the time. I can't just leave mine outside, not in Seattle weather.

And learn how to properly pour concrete . Make a few practice "stepping stones" if you've never done any concrete before, as in my case.

Oh, here's a biggie: Place your floor bricks from the opening of the hearth back. If you place them starting from any other point in the oven, you risk having small triangles along the front edge of the floor. Wish I'd paid closer attention to that.

Leave a comment:

• echopark
    replied

More insulation under the floor (4" instead of 2" ceramic board), a slightly lower door (12" max), and a bigger opening to vent smoke to the flue.

Leave a comment:

• nissanneill
    replied

I'm pretty happy with mine, ie. height, size, shape, appearance and performance.
    The only thing that I might change is to use fired clay pavers rather than the expensive firebricks .

Neill

Leave a comment:

• If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Id make mine 200mm (8") higher so I dont have to stoop over to look into it.
    Id add more insulation on top, Id also like a bigger bench out front.
Working...
X