Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied
    Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

I have an inch of vermiculite board from a fireplace that I picked up cheap on ebay then 4 inches of vermicrete on top, then of course the fire brick.. I feel thats plenty and never had a heat retention problem, I baked a pulled pork the other night,, took it out in the morning at 300 degrees,,, I left the door on and the next morning was still over 200..

The 81" oven build on the forum now has a light built in,, check it out http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/37/8...html#post86732

As far as glass for a door or light window
    Strength and Durability
    NeoCeram? can take the heat. Continuous temperatures up to 1470? F (700? C) can be withstood because this ceramic has an extremely low thermal coefficient of expansion. It doesn't run or swell at high temperatures the way normal glass does.
    Neoceram there prices are fairly reasonable too...

the only change I think I would make is now that I have discovered the soapstone, I might put in one solid no seam piece for the floor...

As well as definitely making my vent opening larger... Like all builders/creators we will always have something we would do different I think...

Do It Yourself Soapstone : Slabs Sinks Countertops Soapstone Self Installation

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

For those who wished they had more insulation beneath the floor, you wish you had more than what the pompeii plans recommend?

Leave a comment:

• scottz
    replied

I guess the only other thing I would change is perhaps adding more insulation, although the oven cooks everything fantastic and the way it should, it does have a small amount of heat loss through the top of the oven...not really enough to worry me though. But seeing all those pics of you guys in snow affected areas cooking and not having any snow melt is amazing! But this maybe just the oven still curing and getting moisture out. But I too love my oven, my most fav toy at the moment...and I have had at least 8 people wanting to build one after seeing mine!!

Scott

Leave a comment:

• olddude
    replied

anyone know how hot it gets

being and electrician and a bit on the ADD side
    was wondering how to light the dome

so first off lets use a 36" dome can some one tell me how hot it gets
    was looking into furance's and they come with lights at 1400 deg so that would mean it might be pos.

getting close to building my dome just thought it would be cool to have

if not i'll put and outlet at the arch

or i could put a bracket for a arm light that you can remove when firing

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by olddude View Post
    as for a light in the oven why can't you put an oven
    light in side the newer ovens self clean at 900 deg

how hot does the fire get ?
    My IR thermometer only goes to 968 deg. The dome goes off scale with no problem.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• olddude
    replied

as for a light in the oven why can't you put an oven
    light in side the newer ovens self clean at 900 deg

how hot does the fire get ?

Leave a comment:

• SteveP
    replied

I wouldn't have built my work surface so deep. I'm 5'9" and have problems placing wood where I want them in the oven. I could nitpick, but I'm pretty happy with the overall build.

Leave a comment:

• jcg31
    replied

much much more insulation in the floor
    Jim

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    Glass itself can take high heat.
    Most can - one will melt at 900 deg. All I am saying is that it would be very cool to have an internal light. Someone will do it on this forum, I am sure of that.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Glass itself can take high heat. The method by which it is annealed is what is important, and in some (most) glass, the cooling process introduces very high internal stresses. Google "Prince Rupert's drops".

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I have solid glass block and considered putting one in the smoke chamber, but could not find technical data to support their ability not to explode into shrapnel and kill me, so I moved to plan B.
    Thats funny. There is some glass (from what I googled), that can go to over 4200 deg. If I ever build another one, I will dig a lot deeper. Shinning a light from the entry way works, but it has nothing on flipping a switch and having the inside of the oven covered in light.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• splatgirl
    replied

I would have made my foundation slab the same size as my stand and hearth slab. My enclosure is clad in Hardi-panel which is only ~3/8" thick, so I have about 6"-8" of foundation slab sticking out all around which I dislike the look of. To get the roof drainage beyond the slab, this also means that I ended up with a deeper roof overhang than I would have liked.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

I agree with Neil2, I would have built it sooner.. I might have spent more time thinking about how to get an inner door to swing open in the entry rather than to always have to remove it, and an outer swinging door. I’d have more insulation under the floor, 2.5 inches rather than the two in currently have.

I really need to do a heat saturation of the dome again and see what the data says relative to this. In an early test I had just under 100F on the underside of the oven's support slab 12 hours after soaking the oven and running 850F on the oven floor. I'm betting at this point that these temps would be lower due to the drying out of the concrete since this first test.. I'll get back to you all on this..

I’m so happy with the 43 inch dome, it would be nice to have a second smaller oven for slow roasting, I'm doing a lot of this..

I love the oven!

I’m entertaining doing a series of “Pizza and a movie night” for the patio.. Parents on one side of the patio and kids on the other.
    Chris
    Last edited by SCChris; 04-05-2010, 06:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Neil2
    replied

I would have built mine years earlier.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I have solid glass block and considered putting one in the smoke chamber, but could not find technical data to support their ability not to explode into shrapnel and kill me, so I moved to plan B.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X