Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lill Dave
    replied
    Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Hi Chris
    I'm just finishing my second oven a 36 in pompeii, Insluation is the main thing Iincreased.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

.. Ping, just bringing this back to the front. I think it's a helpfull thread for newbies and fun for us with WFOs to see where others go with this thread. I may be a bit presumptuous however.

Chris
    Last edited by SCChris; 08-05-2011, 07:53 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lill Dave
    replied

Originally posted by Neil2 View Post
    I would have built mine years earlier.
    I'll give you a big noshit on that one

Leave a comment:

• Lill Dave
    replied

For sure the floor insulation would be at least 2" plus inches thick and ceramic and right under the cooking surface.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

how big posey? these things eat a lot of wood. My 60"er takes 2 good hours to warm-up and a lot of wood.....but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Love the extra floor space and can easily do a whole pig, lamb, whatever.

For a commercial application, 60" is good size and you can do a lot of bread in it as well...probably 20 lbs. I haven't mustard-up the courage to do 20 lbs yet.

Mine is a low-dome 60"s. I like the lower dome for pizza, but I think it browns the top crust of bread faster than I like. Of course I have nothing to compare it to, so I don't really know how a perfect dome would cook.

I cook a dozen loaves of French bread no problem....maybe 4 - 5 kilos. Jay will tell you that you can't get a proper artisan crust without a 16 lb load...Hope I didn't mis-quote you Jay. Will have to let you know when I get some more courage...wasn't that the lion's line in wizard of Oz?....Courage.

Leave a comment:

• jposey
    replied

If i had the chance, i will make my oven way bigger and i will increase the heat temperature. Nice thread here. Thanks for posting.

Leave a comment:

• tusr18a
    replied

I would have increased the thickness of my inner arch. It is only about 1.5 inches thick. I have already managed to hit it with a log causing the arch bricks to release. I reset the mortar. However, after a few firings, the bricks are already loose again. I made it so thin because I needed room for the flue to pass through the arch. When I was looking at the photos of arch designs in the Pompeii instructions, I could have sworn that I was cutting the arch bricks just like in the Pompeii photos. Oh well. Live and learn.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
    One more item..
    Champfer the inside of the entry to minimize chipping when tending the fire and cleaning the oven out. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch would keep chipping of this edge to a minimum.

Chris
    This is definitely a problem, I thought I was the only one. My next oven will have a pre-cast angle iron entry way with a hinged door (with my name on it...haha). I am hitting that edge, all the time, with my peel. When a chip of fire-brick comes flying-off, it breaks my heart.

Leave a comment:

• Paul in Rockwall TX
    replied

I'd have invested in a good brick saw. I did everything with an angle grinder or chisel, and some of my stuff was less than neat. I covered it with mortar. works great and nobody notices, but I do. If I ever build another (I hope not), I'd pay more attention to the angles.

Leave a comment:

• jammyweb
    replied

I'd pay more attention to the door/chimney area. But for those new to brickwork - that is the hardest bit - so I opted to keep it simple. You don't get such a good seal on the door or neat chimney - but it still cooks good.

James

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

George, at some point I may take a grinder but to date it's no big deal. I just figured since it was on my mind, I'd pass it along to the next generation.
    Les, :-)

Chris

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Won't be as neat and precise but I guess you can take an angle grinder to round off or bevel the edges.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by SCChris View Post
    One more item..
    Champfer the inside of the entry to minimize chipping when tending the fire and cleaning the oven out. Just a 1/4 to 1/2 inch would keep chipping of this edge to a minimum.

Chris
    Great point. I just noticed this weekend that I had a chip. Don't remember doing it - most likely too much wine.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

^^^ Funny you mention this, I'm actually going to retrofit angle irons on both sides of the inner entry sometime soon as the bottom corners are starting to chip from the use of oven tools and roasting pans.

Leave a comment:

• SCChris
    replied

One more item..

Chris
    Last edited by SCChris; 04-25-2011, 10:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X