Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

These are sailors, it helps to use the common and accepted terminology, ie "courses" not "rings" or "chains".

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    Mee too...So, what is the correct term again.....?
    To be politically correct, would it be called a "vertically challenged" soldier course?
    Last edited by Gulf; 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    I stand corrected

Chip
    Mee too...So, what is the correct term again.....?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Just because they are bricklayers doesnt mean they know how to build an oven..
    Originally posted by Amac View Post
    Can't argue with a real brickie
    Wikipedia has a nice drawing I copied showing the 6 different bricklaying positions. Having said that this forum seems to have a convention using chipsters description. The tower of babel was never finished because the builders didn't understand each other - nothing will stop the tower of pizza
    I stand corrected

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Can't argue with a real brickie
    Wikipedia has a nice drawing I copied showing the 6 different bricklaying positions. Having said that this forum seems to have a convention using chipsters description. The tower of babel was never finished because the builders didn't understand each other - nothing will stop the tower of pizza
    Last edited by Amac; 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

A sailor is a brick laid vertically with the bed face showing, a soldier is a brick laid vertically with the stretcher face showing.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
    Wow, never thought about that mrchipster. Another reason why this thread is so great. What's the difference between a soldier and sailor brick? Is it full vs half brick?
    A soldier is a full brick upright as tall as it can be, A sailor is the thinnest a brick can be laid or half a soldier. A split is a half thickness brick.

Hope this helps.
    First is soldier example and second is sailor example half brick vertical and the last is a sailor laid flat.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jimkramer
    replied

Wow, never thought about that mrchipster. Another reason why this thread is so great. What's the difference between a soldier and sailor brick? Is it full vs half brick?

I have bitten the bullet and ordered my HF 10" saw as a result of this forum (and Les' inspiration). Still not sure if I'll go all in and get the FB board, too. I think it will definitely take my mind some time to come round to the $400 bucks for 4 sheets + shipping to NY. Would have been much easier and cheaper to build a wood fired toaster oven.

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

I have mentioned this on another post but this is the proper place for it.

I built my oven floor inside the dome and am happy with the configuration but I put down sailor bricks as my first chains, and there is a tendency for the peel to catch slightly in the mortar joint at floor level. If I were to build another oven, I would put down a split for the first brick chain and then the floor would meet the middle of a brick and have no where to catch.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
    I don't imagine I'll be doing too much cooking two days in a row, and if I do, I have lots of wood
    Jim,

Insulate well! I cooked pizza last night and from the remaining heat (380 deg) I cooked a chicken tonight. I would still be able to slow cook something tomorrow night but will probably opt for BBQ. The money spent on insulation will pay for itself over the years. (unless you are in tornado alley or the hurricane belt, where wood falls from the sky)

Leave a comment:

• jimkramer
    replied

Seems like using FB board instead of vermicrete was a common wish for #2 oven. If you went with vermicrete only...is the problem that it's hard to reach cooking temp, or that you can't cook on the second day without refiring? I don't imagine I'll be doing too much cooking two days in a row, and if I do, I have lots of wood. Still trying to swallow all that cash for FB board shipped to NY, but it hurts.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Puckncrazy1 View Post
    Well... not hire my mason buddy with no oven building experience to build an oven.
    Just because they are bricklayers doesnt mean they know how to build an oven..

Leave a comment:

• Puckncrazy1
    replied

Well... not hire my mason buddy with no oven building experience to build an oven.

Leave a comment:

• brung99
    replied

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    I have a 42' oven and its great but since building it my boys have move on and If were to build again would even consider going down to 30" why? a number of reasons
    A 30 inch should still cook 2 pizza at a time trust me a 42' can handle 3 to 4 x 12" in pizza at a time but I can't ...its too quik you sure to burn one. The time is in the pizza making not the cooking.
    Unless I cooking a small pig/lamb the 42' ovens overkill sometime 30" should give you a high enough wide enough entrance to handle a really big baking dish anyway.
    Anyway I'd never pull my oven down to build smaller however. the fornos the best design remember what ever you do..... insulate well as you can

Regards Dave
    Thanks for your input Dave. I love hearing others opinions on this issue as im still trying to figure out what would best suit me & my family.

Regards,
    Bruno

Leave a comment:

• Bacterium
    replied

Ahhh hey worst case with pizza..... If you find yourself in the middle of a cook up getting distracted with a beer/glass of red ......and your not keeping the fire on track"..

if the top is cooking quicker than the bottom, stick the peel over the top to shroud it to get the bottom over the line
    Or
    If the bottom is getting close and the top is looking a bit under done, stick the pizza on a tray or 2..... O well gets them over the line....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X