Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof

I am an architect in Chicago that just finished a 36" pompei. Since the FB forums were so helpful to me during design and construction, I wanted to reciprocate. Unfortunately, my work cycle limited my work to two bursts - one last fall and one this summer.

I've summarized my construction in five pdfs attached to this thread. Since the basic construction of the dome is covered elsewhere, I've tried to focus on the stuff I experimented with - the GFRC shells and the copper shingle roof. Both were successful.

The idea behind the design was to keep the bulk of the oven to a minimum so that it would not overwhelm an urban back yard. Materials were chosen to outlast me. My wife was unbelievably supportive and let me over spend.

Please note that I am not advocating for any techniques. Most will think I went overboard and they may be correct. I chalk it up to R&D.
    Attached Files

Re: Pompei with GFRC Shell and Metal Roof

Great Job and thanks for posting your build. That is something to be very proud of. I actually thought about a copper clad dome, but had no idea how to do it. You have raised the bar again on this forum. Cheers!
    Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

OMG!!!! That is the craziest thing ever. Beautiful, and incredibly imaginative.

Lately, I have taken to bitching about how much work I have left on my oven. After looking at what you did with your enclosure, I think I am getting off easy.

Please post some more pictures once that copper gets a verdigris patina!
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I took the liberty of posting a screenshot of the finished product so people could see what the kudos are about without having to download all the PDFs.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	291398
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Fantastic larryk - you're a credit to your profession - as well as a craftsman of some skill. I too considered a copper cladding, but didn't feel I could carry it off. As DJ says the inevitable verdigris finish will only add to the character.
          What gauge copper was it?
          Amac
          Link to my WFO build

Comment

Amac - I used 16 oz copper (weight per sf) which translates to .021" thickness. Twenty oz copper would work well, too, but would be even more expensive.

Thanks for the kind words.

LarryK

Comment

LarryK,

That is something you should be very proud of. If I had the skills to do this I would thug your design and do this to my oven. I am very jealous of the cladding.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Russell -

I think the hurdle with the copper shingles is more cost vs. difficulty. Start with a full row of 45-degree half diamonds on the bottom. Then template the angle of the next full shingle course and mirror it to make a full shingle. Every shingle on that course will be the same. Then repeat up the dome. Shingles will get taller and skinnier as you go up the dome. Each dome is likely to be unique.

The only tools you really need for the shingles are a 12-inch Malco folding tool and a good pair of tin snips.

Use the folding tool to make two flanges that fold UNDER on the bottom and two flanges that fold OVER on top. Nest the bottom flanges of the upper shingle in the top flanges of the lower shingle course. Attach the top flanges with two hand made cleats.

Like building the dome itself, it only gets tricky at the junctions with the flue/chimney. You can template these odd ball shingles, too. Gotta make a cricket on the back of the chimney. You'll probably need a metal brake for that.

Only caution is that it takes time. Lots of time.

Larry

Comment

Really nice work. I love the look!

Comment

Larry,

I think my $ budget won't allow what you did. Regardless, that is a gorgeous dome cover.
                    Russell

Comment

A very innovative idea!,
                      And to think that I flinched at the $price$ of a copper door
                      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

WOW looks great!

Comment

Larry,

Your copper shingles still intrigue me, been on the hunt. Almost have given up but have a line on some surplus copper shingles which may work. What was the dimension of the daimond shape largest shingle? The shingles I found are 9"x15" retangles not sure of the gauge. Toying with the idea whether to spring for the $$.
                          Russell

Comment

Larry,

Thanks for all you info. I found some 16oz 110 copper 3'x8' sheets at a freight damage store and picked them up so I am committed to following your lead. If you were to do over again, what would you do different to make the installation better?
                            Russell

Comment

Was that at NPS? What a store. Check U of U surplus for odd items too.

Derk

Comment

Working...
                              X