Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Checking the internal temp of meat?

Originally posted by Mitchamus View Post

The temperature of anything is always what the probe says, regardless of altitude. They never need re-calibrating.
    If you are at sea level and your thermometer reads 114 F in boiling water, you might need to adjust your thinking.

What needs re-calibrating is your mental scale for 'temp vs done-ness' at altitude, especially if you are aiming for rare.

and since 'done-ness' is subjective... we could be here a long time
    Very True, can't argue with that! Hll, I like raw oysters
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      If you are at sea level and your thermometer reads 114 F in boiling water, you might need to adjust your thinking.
      what I meant was - you don't need to re-calibrate it for altitude.... which I'm pretty sure you knew
      -------------------------------------------
      My 2nd Build:
      Is here

Comment

I like raw oysters [/QUOTE]

It's strange that raw oysters have entered this discussion. They are also reputed to increase the elevation of your tool, with or without wires and batteries.
        Last edited by david s; 01-21-2014, 10:47 PM.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
          I like raw oysters :

It's strange that raw oysters have entered this discussion. They are also reputed to increase the elevation of your tool, with or without wires and batteries.
          Chitlins, though cooked well done, are too
          Last edited by Gulf; 01-21-2014, 11:20 PM.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

what I meant was - you don't need to re-calibrate it for altitude.... which I'm pretty sure you knew
            No, you're overestimating my simple "redneck" IQ .

Comment

Whutt

Whutt

I feel another "sand vrs. marbles" exchange developing here
              Let me re-phrase my answer.
              What Mitchamus said: you don't have to re-calibrate a thermometer for altitude. If it is right at sea level it will be right at altitude.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                Let me re-phrase my answer.
                What Mitchamus said: you don't have to re-calibrate a thermometer for altitude. If it is right at sea level it will be right at altitude.
                What I said
                No matter what the device, digital or manual, you may have to test the tool for your elevation and adjust your "readings" accordingly. Here is one site that has a chart . (Sorry it is in fahernheit) If it ain't close, you may want to return it or throw it a way.
                I'm very sorry that I wasn't clear. I did not say anything about "recalibrating for altitude". But, if you know the boiling point of water for your "elevation" (altitude) you can "test" your thermometer. I live close enough to sea level to use 212 F. Denver Bronco tailgaiters would use 202 degrees. I don't have any of the digital probes. But the manual probe that I use the most is about 2 degrees low. When probing for internal temperature, I take that into consideration.

Comment

What I said

I'm very sorry that I wasn't clear. I did not say anything about "recalibrating for altitude". But, if you know the boiling point of water for your "elevation" (altitude) you can "test" your thermometer. I live close enough to sea level to use 212 F. Denver Bronco tailgaiters would use 202 degrees. I don't have any of the digital probes. But the manual probe that I use the most is about 2 degrees low. When probing for internal temperature, I take that into consideration.
                  That's the trouble with the English language, it's never clear. I really did read your post as suggesting that you need to adjust the thermometer for altitude.
                  Apologies. I'll shut up now.

Comment

Working...
                  X