X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Saftey Issues

Originally posted by angel123 View Post
    Thanks for all the useful safety measures..I would like to follow them strictly....And whatever precaution we take Product defects and failure are obviously happens accidently..
    Spam spam spam spam.........
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The Spam Museum is just down the road from me in Austin, Minnesota.

SPAM > SPAM? Museum

We take our SPAM seriously here...

Chip
      Chip

Comment

When you say that this ceramic fibre (blanket) is dangerous.. can you explain how ?

Comment

Any inhaled fibres would be a health issue like asbestos, probably worse as there is no warnings on the blanket and the air fills with fibres when its handled.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by building angel View Post
            When you say that this ceramic fibre (blanket) is dangerous.. can you explain how ?
            Ceramic fibre blanket is a class 2 carcinogen. Tests on rats have produced tumors, but so far there have been no recorded cases linking the product to cancer in humans, but as cancers can take many years to show up there is still a cloud over its use. The stuff is banned in Germany, its replacement uses a water soluble fibre and is much more expensive. Being water soluble could actually be a problem for a WFO in that the water elimination process might dissolve some of the fibres. I prefer to leave the stuff alone and use double the thickness of vermiculite instead which is at least safe. Be careful if you use blanket. Wear a good respirator when cutting and handling it. I work as an art teacher in a school in Australia and we are not meant to have any ceramic fibre where children could inhale some. eg around the seal of pottery kiln doors.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Ceramic fibre blanket is only dangerous when it has been fired and the binders have burnt out from the product. This only happens in the higher ranges of temperatures, which will never happen in a WFO. Yes, wear protection, but the sky is not going to fall down.

Comment

So when the air is full of sparkling tiny fibres theres no problem?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
                  Ceramic fibre blanket is only dangerous when it has been fired and the binders have burnt out from the product. This only happens in the higher ranges of temperatures, which will never happen in a WFO. Yes, wear protection, but the sky is not going to fall down.
                  Can't agree, it is the fibres that are the problem and although they are held within the binder, on bending and handling, loose fibres will still become airborne, particularly when cutting the blanket.

Comment

Yes, agree on both parts, but as it has been mentioned, NO human cases of cancer have been detected, only rats that have ingested the product have had issues.
                    I have been in the refractory industry for 30 years, and have never heard of anyone having any dramas.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the oven man View Post
                      Yes, agree on both parts, but as it has been mentioned, NO human cases of cancer have been detected, only rats that have ingested the product have had issues.
                      I have been in the refractory industry for 30 years, and have never heard of anyone having any dramas.
                      Yes, it could be safe, but as cancers often take a long time to develop after exposure to carcinogens we might be in a waiting game. My Dad was a medical officer during one of the Maralinga nuclear tests. He died of cancer, probably as a result of exposure, 24 years after. You should have been given the MSDS on the stuff, here it is if you want to check it out.
                      Also, it is not the ingestion that is the problem it is inhalation. It's when it gets into your lungs not your stomach that is the worry.I work in a school and we are not allowed to let children have any contact with it.

FIBERFRAX? CERAMIC FIBER PRODUCTS
                      Last edited by david s; 02-10-2012, 02:11 AM. Reason: Clarification of ingestion

Comment

On the topic of ceramic fibre blankets ... I'm about to insulate my dome that has unfortunatley cracked during curing. I've patched the cracks from the outside, but i'm concerned that if further cracks develop, exposing the ceramic fibre blanket to the cooking chamber could it be a safety issue when cooking?

Thanks

Comment

Yeah, I'd be concerned too. The fibres are considered dangerous if inhaled. I think they're ok if ingested. If you've sealed the cracks from the outside then there should be no way they can get out, but with expansion and contraction going on there could be some abrasive action going on where the blanket contacts the dome.

Comment

Safety issue with power tools!

LEAVE GUARDS IN PLACE! THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!

I had 8 stitches across the top of my left index finger last summer, and 6 across the top of my left thumb--a different time!

Both times from using a 1mm thick cutting wheel on an angle grinder that broke while cutting metal. Guard removed to get a slightly deeper cut! (In my hand unfortunately)

It is so quick that you do not even feel it until you look at the blood all over your hand and feel a burning sensation ---then you say " Oh s--t!" and it's too late! Time to get some stitches again! BTW the throbbing reoccurs when your hands get cold!

"Beginners usually do not get hurt as often"---they read safety instructions!
                            It is once you start feeling too comfortable with the job you are doing that you get overconfident! A lot of pros can show off their scars and missing parts!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                              Safety issue with power tools!

LEAVE GUARDS IN PLACE! THEY ARE THERE FOR A REASON!

I had 8 stitches across the top of my left index finger last summer, and 6 across the top of my left thumb--a different time!

Both times from using a 1mm thick cutting wheel on an angle grinder that broke while cutting metal. Guard removed to get a slightly deeper cut! (In my hand unfortunately)

It is so quick that you do not even feel it until you look at the blood all over your hand and feel a burning sensation ---then you say " Oh s--t!" and it's too late! Time to get some stitches again! BTW the throbbing reoccurs when your hands get cold!

"Beginners usually do not get hurt as often"---they read safety instructions!
                              It is once you start feeling too comfortable with the job you are doing that you get overconfident! A lot of pros can show off their scars and missing parts!
                              I feel your pain. Last summer while working on my outdoor kitchen, I had such a cutting wheel break in half. One half flew across the yard, the other half lodged itself firmly in my face. Fortunately they were able to glue the 1.5" gash back together. Still have a scar, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.
                              Lesson learned? Don't buy cheap azz cutting wheels and always wear a proper face shield.

Comment

My wheel was not cheap, the technique of use was faulty!

The wound excavated meat a bit and mixed glove together--so vigorous cleaning was necessary, so my finger has the "face lift" appearance from drawing baggy skin taunt!

Yep! Safety no laughing matter, stupidity is!

Comment

Working...
                                X