Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

I have relocated to temporary housing in California and left my oven and all my tools behind for the time being. I also am not getting to my Private Messages on a routine basis so for those who have waited for a reply, my apologies. I will remake the offer to create tools for those who would like them once I am settled.

Thanks,
    Jim

Comment

I used a 'poor-mans' version of the universal tool. It consisted of two items:
      - A wooden stick with a notch at one end. The distance from the deep
      end of the notch to the other end was equal to the inside radius of my
      oven (21 inches giving me a 42 inch inside diameter)
      - An old 1/4 inch drill bit. I already had a masonry bit on hand that made
      1/4 inch holes. I located the center of my hearch and drilled a hole about
      1 1/2 inches deep. I stuck the drill bit in, leaving the rest of it sticking out.

I then seated the notch end of the wood stick around the drill bit. I used this as a gauge while setting each brick. Easy for the lower courses. I used Sairset for most of my hot-face bedding mortar - Sairset takes a good hard set in just a minute or so and brick did not slip. I didn't have to provide any support until by last 4 - 5 rings - and I just used whatever sticks were available.
      I used part of a ripped bag of some refractory castable to cap the dome, using a plastic garbage can lid as a form inside (pressed up from below with a number of sticks).

Comment

All brick-placement tools are "poor-man's" tools. It's not like you can pick one up at Lowe's with a name-brand stamped on it. Mine was wood too. The really cool ones on FB are welded. Would that I could...

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
        Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

An even poorer 'poor-man's' version would be using just a length of string.
          George

My 34" WFO build

Weber 22-OTG / Ugly Drum Smoker / 34" WFO

Comment

True, the poorness of such a tool is a slippery rope. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

WFO Webpage: http://keithwiley.com/brickPizzaOven.shtml
            Thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ttle-7878.html

Comment

Or a Dogloo... Click image for larger version

Name:	whistle.gif
Views:	3
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	279733
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
              [/CENTER]

Comment

Speaking of string...

I have another adaptation that I am contemplating prior to starting my oven. I would like to cut my bricks so that they fit as close as possible (within reason) to optimal shape. I believe attaching a string to the center of rotation (hub/hinge) of the Indispensible Tool (IT) will allow me to determine the exact angle of cut for each side of the brick by drawing the string taught to the far bottom (outside) corner of the brick and allow me to draw (snap if i use chalk on the string) a line from the inside edge to outside edge in perfect alignment with the true line of the previous chain.<P>
                <P>
                I also noticed that when a rectangular brick is clamped in the Indispensible Tool as a dry fit the interior edge of the brick is in contact with the lower chain at the inside of the oven. The back is elevated slightly, most people are building their ovens by filling that gap with mortar. If one would use the same snap string to just contact the interior edge of the previous chain and snap a chalk line along the brick being held by the Indispensible Tool a perfect angle for the bottom of the brick would be marked.<P>
                Chip

Comment

Remember, that the abrasive wet stream from your saw will blast off most line materials, including pencil and certainly chalkline. You will have to line it up and cut by faith, or go over your line with a marker.
                  My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Your brick is 4.5" in that direction, you will need to make 2 passes unless you have a saw that will cut that deep. That is a lot of cutting for each brick, to gain what exactly?
                    Eric

Comment

Thanks for the great pictures with their added annotations & lines. One picture is really worth a 1k words.
                      When I built my oven this past fall I found a source for #1 Arch firebrick (in the Albany, NY area). I used those for all of my rings and only had to 'pad' the ring-to-ring joints a tiny bit on two rings, minimizing the amount of mortar required. I feel that I have an extremely strong dome. It supported my jumping up and down on the crown.

...Glad the neighbors didn't see or hear me grinning ear to ear shouting with glee while performing these gymnastics. Otherwise I would probably be on medications in a nice soothing place without access to matches, sharp objects but allowed visitors every other Friday...

Comment

Originally posted by dmun View Post
                        Remember, that the abrasive wet stream from your saw will blast off most line materials, including pencil and certainly chalkline. You will have to line it up and cut by faith, or go over your line with a marker.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	shrug.gif
Views:	6
Size:	622 Bytes
ID:	280278 He could score it with a glass cutter after snapping the chalk lines.

Originally posted by eprante
                        Your brick is 4.5" in that direction, you will need to make 2 passes unless you have a saw that will cut that deep. That is a lot of cutting for each brick, to gain what exactly?
                        Less dependence on mortar would be my guess. The more precise, the more the arch is doing the work instead of the mortar.

Mind you, I doubt the qualitative difference would show up before 10 -15 years at the earliest (excepting the entry arch which would show much more quickly).
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

This is the site that I will be building my pizza oven on. I will be pouring a 5” pad on top of the existing concrete, because it has too much of a pitch. This is the tool that I built this morning, the turnbuckle is so I can lower the dome. Pictures below

Huck
                          Last edited by morrishuckeba; 04-16-2010, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Just the thought of seeing someone jumping up and down on their dome brings a wide smile to my mug, and just shows how truly nuts those of us that build these things are. We labor to design, assemble the components, build the dome, cure the completed structure and still feel the need to do EXTREME testing.... I would give good money to see that test on film.
                            Last edited by mrchipster; 04-21-2010, 07:52 AM. Reason: typo and spelling
                            Chip

Comment

Here is another tool, kinda like Huck's. Had some help and not ready to to use it yet, but became hooked on building one ever since i started reading the forums. Click image for larger version

Name:	tool 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	280652

Name:	tool 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	280653

Name:	tool 3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	280654
                              Texman Kitchen
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Your tool looks great it should work fine. I am in the process of poring my foundation. I hope to get started next week on the base

Comment

Working...
                                X