Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Thanks for that Gulf - yes that was the one I had in mind - just lost track of it ploughing through everything in here so apologies for not attributing. I have one of those things somewhere - impulse buy, god alone knows where it is, I never found a use for it before. I'll root around and try an find it. I guess you have to move it around during the construction of a row?
    Amac
    Link to my WFO build

Comment

No problem, I can't keep up with all the info on this site either

I just set the level up in the back of the oven directly across from the arch. If it is set back far enough, the laser will shine on each side of the arch. I only had a couple of completed rows done at the time so that allowed me to set it up just out side of the dome with a clear line of sight. I used the dome guage to set a brick on each side of the arch and used that reference point to set the height of the laser level. I worked my entry in first and then came back and filled in the remainder after I had cleared the arch. I didn't have to move it around much, I just raised it up every row by adding another brick for it to set on.

Hope this helps.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Refab of my IT. The angle iron width should be no more than 2", otherwise it will interfere with adjacent bricks. Also, the throat of the clamp was too deep in the original configuration. Mounting the second angle iron corrects the problem of the clamp. I like the steel of this IT but i think a wooden IT will perform just as well now that i am laying brick. The tool does not need much strength, it is more of measuring tool than anything.

Tracy
        Texman Kitchen
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

version 3.0
          added relief strips on top and bottom to correct the rounded corner of the angle iron and make removal from brick easier and get the rod centered in brick. moved the clamp. I think this one is good.
          Texman
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Total rookie question as I'm getting ready to build one out at my property.
            When you place the brick with this tool, how long does it have to stay clamped before you can move on to the next brick?
            Capt. Paul
            Granite Falls WA, USA.
            Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Originally posted by man7sell View Post
              When you place the brick with this tool, how long does it have to stay clamped before you can move on to the next brick?
              That depends on several variables, How wet is your mortar, What type of mortar are you using, are you pre-cutting your bricks for a very thin joint, and what chain you are on. the steeper = longer. I was able to let it set for about 1 - 2 minutes per brick because of my magnetic two tool IT setup.

Chip
              Chip

Comment

I found I could remove it as soon - a minute or so - as I was ready to lay a new brick. You still need to be careful not to move the brick you just laid - so make sure you build the tool so it will not disturb the brick while you are removing it. look at jcg31s design where he covers this point.
                Amac
                Link to my WFO build

Comment

Jim,

Thanks for your IT design, built mine from your plans. Do have a question. How to you fasten a nut to your armored carpenter pencil holder for the IT? The holder I bought which looks just like the one in your IT pictures is aluminum and thin wall. Is the nut epoxied on?

Russell
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell,

The glue I used can be found here Pasco Fix

It is amazing stuff the sticks practically anything to anything, metal to glass, metal to metal, acrylic to glass and fingers to most anything I have used this with (need to be careful about that). It also has a great filler product that works with the glue that has saved so many projects for me over the years. a couple drops will do you so don't be alarmed at the price. Once you have this stuff in the house you won't be able to do without.

Good luck with your Build!

Jim

Comment

thank you...your tool design is my basis for my IT with a small few mods to utilize what materials i could scrounge up. Will look around for the superglue on steroids.

Russell
                      Russell

Comment

Depends on the mortar, I was using the good stuff from James, with that it was seconds. If you are using a home brew or thinner mortar it could take minutes.

Originally posted by man7sell View Post

Comment

man7sell,

Taking a break from laying a course with home brew so I thought I would check the forum. My current experience, is I lay a brick the move to the opposite side and by time I butter the mortar set the brick in with a rubber mallet I can move the IT over to this brick for final alignment and the previous one holds fine.

It does depend on mortar consistency, how long you soak the brick and temp. But like the other WFOs say, just be careful not to disturb the previous brick. It is about 95 degrees right now with moderate humidity. I am mixing small batches of home brew (3-4) bricks worth and it works for me but I am not the fastest brick layer in the world.
                          Russell

Comment

OK, let me know if I am off base here: Can I simplify the IT design to a really long clamp that is attached to the hinge in the center of the oven? Why not?

Comment

A tad bit of precision, consistency and speed would be lost if don't have some sort of stops in place to make certain each brick can be quickly placed in the clamp and held the same way,each time. But you're right, all this thing is is a modified clamp.

I also used the compass head with permanent (sharpee) marker quite a bit for marking the bricks particularly for the union between dome and entry way and on the floor edge cuts, the stand head was also very useful for the final courses.

OvenCamHiRes (the entry way view looking back into the dome) will give you a look at some of those cuts on the entry, which in my novice state I couldn't have done without dry placing and marking the brick first.

Have a great build!
                              Jim
                              Last edited by jcg31; 07-22-2012, 08:03 AM.

Comment

wow that ovencam is awesome well done. What did you use to take that (Off subject sorry, well not really)
                                Capt. Paul
                                Granite Falls WA, USA.
                                Oven In Granite Falls

Comment

Working...
                                X