Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My indispensible tool (a variation on a FB theme)

Cool! I like that.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
    [/CENTER]

Comment

• Indispensable tools sitting idle?

Anyone out there have a usable indispensable tool that is sitting idle? I am still getting requests to make these from my original offer (there is a dozen or so of them floating around out there) but unfortunately I have moved away from all my wonderful toys to make such things. If available just respond here and perhaps people can connect that way.

Thanks,
      Jim

Comment

This is a beautiful oven and a great tool!! Would you make me one Jim?
        Link to my build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
        https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Oh sorry...just realized that you're out of that "business"...anyone have one that they can part with?
          Thanks in advance,
          Paul
          Link to my build

Link to my pictures

Comment

mIRASSOU,
            Did you ever locate one of these, I am on the hunt.
            Ed

Comment

Jim, how did you manage those fine rounded cuts of your firebricks in the first post?
              Let's keep it metric

Comment

I did thanks and used it for my oven, then passed it on to another member
                Link to my build

Link to my pictures

Comment

Originally posted by ugnsnisse View Post
                  Jim, how did you manage those fine rounded cuts of your firebricks in the first post?
                  My trusty Harbor Freight tools wet saw (and that was the old version). I had never used a wet saw before this project and found it to be amazingly easy to shape the bricks to nearly anything that was required. Largely because it is very difficult for you to cut yourself even when working very close to the blade. So just push in and turn the brick and you can follow any line you scribe on it (use a permanent marker anything else will quickly be washed away).
                  Have a great project.
                  Jim

Comment

This site has so much good information but different variations on how to do things. So far I don't see any wrong directions... I do have a question regarding the indispensable tool.
                    I understand the tool holds the brick, keeps the brick in the arc, and maintains the correct distance, but is the right angle piece of metal at the end of the bar, used also to hold the brick at a downward angle as the rows get mortared up?
                    Thank you.

Comment

Yes, the right angle and the post being centered on the brick both aid in the proper placement of the brick. The individual courses of brick have increasingly steeper slopes and the tool allows you to achieve the proper angle easily.
                      Chip

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by downward angle. But the end of the IT hold the brick a the "correct" angle (assuming your holder is at a 90 degree angle)that so the face of the brick in perpendicular to the slope of the IT( which is should also be the slope from the center of the dome to the dome wall. Then you fill the back side of the brick gap with mortar or brick shims with mortar. It is important that the center of the IT rod is the center of your brick face.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thank you both for the replies! My choice of words were incorrect... Yes I actually meant "correct" angle not downward angle. Thank you for the picture.
                          I can see this being very useful for rounded dome types, how do you adjust it for flatter tops of domes since the distance is shorter on top than the sides?

Comment

Originally posted by checker1965 View Post
                            Thank you both for the replies! My choice of words were incorrect... Yes I actually meant "correct" angle not downward angle. Thank you for the picture.
                            I can see this being very useful for rounded dome types, how do you adjust it for flatter tops of domes since the distance is shorter on top than the sides?
                            Some people have used a lazy Susan or a hinge that is offset from the center. Others have used small adjustments of the IT using a turnbuckle to make it shorter on each layer to lower the dome.

Still others have made wood templates to guide placement and angulation of the dome bricks.

I made a standard dome and am very happy with the results.
                            Chip

Comment

Originally posted by checker1965 View Post
                              Some people have used a lazy Susan or a hinge that is offset from the center. Others have used small adjustments of the IT using a turnbuckle to make it shorter on each layer to lower the dome.

Still others have made wood templates to guide placement and angular ion of the dome bricks.

I made a standard dome and am very happy with the results.

Remember to keep close to the 63% door to dome height if you decide to lower the dome.
                              Chip

Comment

Thank you sir!

Ray

Comment

Working...
                                X