Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storing wooden logs under dome

Hey guys,

I saw that many of you store the wooden logs under the dome, in the 'foundation' so to say. Typically, this foundation has only 1 opening at the front, under the dome. Do you need to add other ventilation holes along the foundation if you want to put 'fresh' undried logs in there as well?

This is a problem. In my design, in order to save on both materials and labour, I use two concrete block piers, with the supporting slab cantilevered over them. As serendipity often does, this also provides a storage area that keeps the wood dry, but also allows the breeze through as it’s open at both the front and the back. If the stand is built as a U shape the wood stays damp far longer.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I think it takes something like 6 months of dry storage to season wood prior to burning, so the relatively small area under the oven might not be the best place to keep green wood. I split and stack my wood out of the rain where the air can get to it, and only store under the oven wood that is ready to burn. I can usually pack at least 2 months of underneath (assuming one firing a week) and find it very convenient to have the wood close at hand and ready to use.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

As JR notes above, the time it takes to dry wood is normally far longer than you would want to store it under your oven. And as David also noted, without a fairly open storage area, drying will take even longer. I think you always want to be storing wood near (or underneath) your oven that is dry and ready to be used. I put a cart system under the wings of my stand so I could store a little more wood that would be a little easier to access. Gulf did a similar roll-out wood storage under his oven...but in both our cases, we are storing wood that is "ready to go". I don't think it's realistic to think the storage under the oven is made for seasoning wood...you need to think about a much larger, covered area for your main wood seasoning & storage.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

As SablesSprings and JRPizza says, the wood volume under the typical oven means your wood won't be there that long, best to dry in another stack somewhere and transfer the dry wood to your stash under the oven.
          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Thank you guys, incredible how much of a help this forum is for a newbie wanting to build his own oven

Comment

Here's mine, It's 6'x6' with a divider across the middle of the back. The hearth on mine is insulated, I've checked the temp under the slab several times and it's never read more than 137 degree F..
              The empty bin at the front, I haven't filled back up yet because I'm waiting to get me some white oak.
              The back bin is just extra dry storage
              The long bin by the log spliter is my bulk storage. The log splitter I built from stuff I had, only had to buy the pump.

It kinda sucks too. All this wood is from a pecan tree I cut down in my yard and I'm fixing to trash it as soon as I can get out to get me some more white oak.
              I have tried Red Oak, White Oak and Pecan. White oak is by far the best and hottest burning. Red Oak does ok but not as good as White Oak. Pecan sucks, it makes about half the heat as white oak and don't like the way it burns. I only use well dried, cured wood, no green.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by BenKeith; 02-23-2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

BenKeith , that's one stout looking splitter! I have a hand pump model from HF and although it is slow it sure beats swinging a splitting maul.
                I need to build a door for my my storage area so I can keep the critters out!
                My build thread

Comment

Yea, it's way over built but that's what I had. Right now it's 35 tons, and built for 50 tons if I wanted to buy a 6" cylinder. The pump is a 22 gpm 3,200 psi on a 12 hp motor so with that 4" cylinder it's fast. It splits 24" dia. white oak like nothing. Made it stationary like that so I don't have worry about everybody wanting to borrow it. One of the benefits of having done hydraulic work for 20 years.
                  Last edited by BenKeith; 02-24-2021, 05:37 AM.

Comment

That is just awesome - I'm so jealous!
                    My build thread

Comment

Working...
                    X