Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dome final layer.... under a pavilion. Waterproof? Recipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome final layer.... under a pavilion. Waterproof? Recipe?

After about 5-6 inches perlite 8:1 ratio. Can I use a stucco mix for final layer? I plan to put tile on outside. What is your recommendation?

This pizza oven will be under a pavilion ( however its still in progress as well. So It will be exposed to a few showers etc. )

Should I reinforce final layer with stainless needles? pic attached.

Click image for larger version

Name:	needles.jpeg
Views:	254
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	442822

Name:	stuffff.jpeg
Views:	353
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	442821

Those steel fibres, if they are the ones I'm familiar with , are not stainless. They are also not suitable for a final layer, they are intended for reinforcing a thick slab. You need much finer fibres that won't stick out at the surface. I find the short 19mm AR (alkaline Resistant) fibreglass fibres as used by the concrete countertop manufacturers suitable and easy to work with, but no doubt there are other solutions. Not sure if the Quickcrete Stucco you have contains fibres. Some of them do, it should say on the pack, I can't read it.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I used QUIKWALL which a finish layer stucco with added fiberglass fibers. It resists cracking much better than regular stucco and would make a fine base for tile.
      My 32" homebrew cast oven by the sea

Comment

Thanks David + CoastalPizza

Going to get some AR fibers + QUICKWALL. On my way to finish this project.

Always appreciate the help.

For anyone reading this thread in the future.... From Google

What is AR fiberglass?
        Alkali Resistant (AR) Glass Fiber is glass fiber with added zirconium oxide to help resist attack from alkalinity. This is an important element of these fibers, as concrete is a very alkaline environment. Normal fiberglass (e-glass) degrades in concrete due to the aggressive alkaline environment.

Comment

Looks like QUICKWALL has AR fibers already. See attached pic. Little hard to read, but says on package.

Name:	stucco.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	442828

Comment

Originally posted by stevef22 View Post
            Thanks David + CoastalPizza

Going to get some AR fibers + QUICKWALL. On my way to finish this project.

Always appreciate the help.

For anyone reading this thread in the future.... From Google

What is AR fiberglass?
            Alkali Resistant (AR) Glass Fiber is glass fiber with added zirconium oxide to help resist attack from alkalinity. This is an important element of these fibers, as concrete is a very alkaline environment. Normal fiberglass (e-glass) degrades in concrete due to the aggressive alkaline environment.
            Just to add, be careful where you access the AR fibres. Those sold on EBay may give you a cheaper price, but probably because they contain a very low zirconium (expensive) coating. I only buy from a reputable supplier.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Got it thank you David.

Comment

Working...
              X