Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Just wondering if it would be possible to mix 1 kg of flour/600 ml water in a standard Kitchen Aid mixer? I have only made 500 gr flour at a time in the past but would like to up this to 1 kg for the next batch of dough if possible...

TIA

Rossco
    / Rossco

Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

I know it can handle 750 g of flour. We have the smaller of the two KA mixers, but it looked like it still had some room for added capacity. It did rock a bit as the dough moved around the bowl, though.

Comment

I did 1kg with my KA Pro 600 with no problems.
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

Thanks - think I will give it a go this weekend...

Originally posted by Ken524 View Post
        I did 1kg with my KA Pro 600 with no problems.
        / Rossco

Comment

I agree with Ken. I have the standard Kitchen Aid Mixer. All I do is 1kg as I'm usually making a min of 6 dough balls. It will work it's way to the top of the dough hook but has never been a problem.

Good luck
          Dick

Comment

Thanks for confirming that Dick, Ken & papa...

My KA is sounding a big grumpy of late, making some very weird noises. Hopefully it doesn't drop dead after the 1 Kg exercise!!! Will be great to be able to make 1 Kg though as it's such a hassle making 2 batches every time.

Rossco
            Last edited by heliman; 11-27-2009, 04:14 PM.
            / Rossco

Comment

Rossco,
              get your self a decent mixer, one that will handle the load of dough mixing. With an oven ready and rearing to go, mixing dough is always going to be an issue, and with larger numbers of participants at the parties, larger or more batches will be required.
              Why break a basic household domestic mixer that id not really designed to work 'hard', yes it will just do the job but not continuously or for long.
              For around the same cost a new KM, you can get a good secondhand industrial mixer or a new Chinese one as I have.
              I mixed 3kg of dough yesterday and it was just a small ball in the bottom of the large bowl that will mix 10kg (the smallest one that I could find).
              Gee it takes the worry out of knocking the wife's Kenwood around and makes mixing dough that much simpler.
              The only thing that I would do if I bought another one, is get the 3 speed model rather than my 2 speed unit.

Neill
              Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
              Neill’s kitchen underway
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Other boys drool over cars; our guys drool over mixers...

I'm still waiting for one of you guys to have racing stripes painted on.

FYI: Listen to your motor. Straining is bad.
                "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Archena View Post
                  Other boys drool over cars; our guys drool over mixers...
                  That's really funny. My wife has a Bosch that she mixes her bread in. I have the KA Professional.

Joe
                  Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                    Rossco,
                    get your self a decent mixer...
                    Wow Neill - that one of yours looks fantastic.

Can you please let me know the brand etc so I can chase it up here. May keep the KA as a general purpose mixer as it still seems to do quite well for lighter stuff like cakes etc (not that I make them though).

Rossco
                    / Rossco

Comment

Racing stripes? Why not go ala Alton Brown with FLAMES!

Comment

Thus far I haven't even seen a flower power version...

That was not a suggestion!!!
                        "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
                        [/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by heliman View Post
                          Wow Neill - that one of yours looks fantastic.

Can you please let me know the brand etc so I can chase it up here. May keep the KA as a general purpose mixer as it still seems to do quite well for lighter stuff like cakes etc (not that I make them though).

Rossco
                          +1 ..My other half recently had to have her KA mixer repaired because she overworked it making pasta.. so a good industrial unit would be great.. One question though, is this a single phase or three phase unit?

Himzo.

Comment

Rossco,
                            the guy I bought mine from doesn't import them any more (I think he lost the distributorship really) so can't recommend him. He only dealt from a warehouse and I got mine from his home here in Adelaide.
                            I just did a Google search and came up with a 10l unit, looks good but a bit more expensive than mine but 3 speed and with a dough hook (I had to make my own as it was missing!.
                            Check out:

Commercial Mixer - B10K / 10-litre - geared drive :: Mixers :: Cater Price - Commercial food equipment factory seconds at UNBEATABLE PRICES

Himzo,
                            when I was looking for mine, I found a good but well used unit, single phase 3 speed but old at machinery warehouse. I got them to agree to a cash sale price of $350 but for one day but I bought the new one in preference. It needed a little love and tender care as it had an oil leak but all accessories were included.
                            Go have a look, it might still be there.
                            Cheers.

Neill
                            Last edited by nissanneill; 10-13-2009, 02:55 AM.
                            Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                            Neill’s kitchen underway
                            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                              Himzo,
                              when I was looking for mine, I found a good but well used unit, single phase 3 speed but old at machinery warehouse. I got them to agree to a cash sale price of $350 but for one day but I bought the new one in preference. It needed a little love and tender care as it had an oil leak but all accessories were included.
                              Go have a look, it might still be there.
                              Cheers.

Neill
                              Thanks Neil,

I won't be able to get there until Saturday, so hopeing it's still there, didn't seem to be on their web site. Otherwise I'll just have to see if I can find one on the net somewhere for a reasonable price.

Himzo.

Comment

Working...
                              X