Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by Sharkey View Post
    If you are looking for another reason to buy a vac sealer you should try Sous Vide cooking. This is the antitheses of wood fired oven cooking in that you cook slow in a precise, temperature controlled water bath. We have a Sunbeam Sous Vide that cost about $180.

The steaks, chicken etc that we have cooked have been amazing. Because it is temp controlled every mm of food is cooked exactly as required (rare, medium etc) and because it is vacuum sealed no moisture escapes at all.
    I enjoy the food from this style of cooking but have some issues about what volatile petro-chemicals are released from the plastic when heat is applied. The temps used in the process may not get to the point that makes things nasty but it depends on what you read I suppose.

I might stick to the natural flame generated heat processes until the jury comes back. Works for me and if you want slow cooked, the WFO does that to perfection. No plastic involved.

Just my humble opinion.
    Last edited by Greenman; 02-25-2014, 03:54 AM.
    Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Anyone know if the Caputo flour is also available in Brisbane somewhere? Hopefully for the same price you gents are getting it in Melbourne.

edit: ah I just read a few pages back that oasiscdm posted a contact number in QLD so will give that a try, thanks!

edit2: we really should be discussing the flour in its specific thread so it is easier for other people to find.
      Might make a post in there.

Link/updated in the thread:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/m...o-16349-6.html
      Last edited by applor; 02-25-2014, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I copied the info over to that thread. Might i suggest people occasionally lift out to the top of the Aussie thread

Ok have purchased a vacuum sealer and been sealing everything I can. Flour coffee bean, vegetables.you name it or gets sealed.

OVEN UPDATE

Nothing done since Xmas, a couple layers of render and obtained some bulllnose decorative arch bricks the same as my house, took me 4 weeks to obtain once I sourced them. Drive post every day I was at work. So close but but just couldn't get them to my place, proprietor had no clue. But have them now so I can finish hopefully between now and Easter.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

G'day Colin
          Just for interest KMart is selling a vac packer for $110 and roll of plastic for $30.
          Haven't seen it yet but the wife's rang me up to tell me we now own one. Great when she thinks its her idea
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Dave

How did you manage to so that seed.
            That's why
            I borrowed one from my uncle and have not stopped using it. I am sealing anything I can find. Hmmmmmmm haven't tried the missus yet . He had never used it other than when he first got it.

I have ordered one from Harvey Norman with a marinade feature lots of containers, roles a bit more expensive at 299 but asked for reduction they dropped to 225, last one in shop.

I now vacuum seal all meat. Leftovers, veges into serving sizes, sandwich meat. Pizza toppings, including cheese, and anything else, eg basil lasted 3 weeks and was still ok.

Dave get your bags online muchmuch cheaper.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Arrrrrghhhhhh two long weekends in a row and still no oven completion activity..

Other than cooking of course.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

From what I've heard, an oven isn't complete until it's fully cured and broken in (experienced) and it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing!

Comment

Mine is beyond cured. Now the problem is keeping water off it.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

G'day Colin

having fun playing with the Vac sealer. One small problem the wife has claimed procession of said Vac sealer and I have to ask permission to use it.
                    I thought that one through too ....still didn't turn out exactly as planned

Regards Dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave - While the special ones think they are in control then you are still in the position of significant influence. The secret of having your 'idea' adopted is to allow the one in control to think it was their idea.

Worked for me for a lifetime - on and off the job!
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Dave,

What they say "Possession is nine tenths ownership" so better get the vacuum sealer back or go buy you another one........
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

and I have to ask permission to use it....
                          True. True....

Comment

Oasiscdm - when you say "twisted" brick... what do you mean? I am looking to do a semicircle arch with a flared vent area. Looking at inner arch of 19" wide, 12" high and my reveal at 1", so the inside of my vent arch (dimensions just outside of the inner arch) would be 21" wide and 13"high and the outside opening of the flared arch would be 24.5" wide and 14.75" high. I was looking at doing 21 arch bricks. Using the numbers from the angelizer, I would mark one end of the brick with those dimensions and the other end of the brick with the dimensions for a 21 brick arch that is the smaller size. Then I would taper the brick from front to back, while making the arch brick shape. Is that a twisted brick?

On your top bricks (post #623 pg 63) in pics #2,3,4,&5 that you see on the oven side of the vent opening.... do they maintain the L cut in the back to form the heat break like the lower course ones? Are they mortared to the inner arch or are they "self supporting" as part of an arch that doesn't touch the inner arch?

Are there additional photos/info you can share? You mentioned that you and John shared alot of info about the semicircle flared arch.
                            Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas View Post
                              Oasiscdm - when you say "twisted" brick... what do you mean? I am looking to do a semicircle arch with a flared vent area. Looking at inner arch of 19" wide, 12" high and my reveal at 1", so the inside of my vent arch (dimensions just outside of the inner arch) would be 21" wide and 13"high and the outside opening of the flared arch would be 24.5" wide and 14.75" high. I was looking at doing 21 arch bricks. Using the numbers from the angelizer, I would mark one end of the brick with those dimensions and the other end of the brick with the dimensions for a 21 brick arch that is the smaller size. Then I would taper the brick from front to back, while making the arch brick shape. Is that a twisted brick?

On your top bricks (post #623 pg 63) in pics #2,3,4,&5 that you see on the oven side of the vent opening.... do they maintain the L cut in the back to form the heat break like the lower course ones? Are they mortared to the inner arch or are they "self supporting" as part of an arch that doesn't touch the inner arch?

Are there additional photos/info you can share? You mentioned that you and John shared alot of info about the semicircle flared arch.
                              Thanks a bunch!
                              Hi Texas

John and my arch differ slightly from what you describe, as the top/front of the vent landing is lower at the front than the rear. The twisted brick as I refer relates to the inner face of the landing arches. To achieve correct alignment of the face the bottom face needs to be ground at one end of the brick, and the top of the other end. You will see this when you lay them out. You only do this until the flue gallery. My situation was a little different to John's as I was using arch bricks 75/51 75/65. John layed his inner arch against oven arch but cut angle at the rear so that minimal brick was touching dome, whereas mine were rebated around dome entry arch [L you refer] with maximum reveal as I wanted maximum entry area as I feel it looks better than narrow reveals.

I have loaded every photo I took onto this thread so sorry no other shots. The rebated bricks at the rear of the landing are all rebated including the top bricks. I layed ceramic tape around the outside of the dome arch, to insulate between landing and dome, and will also insulate the face with ceramic rope poked up in the gap. Yes I should have done this before now, so will have some cleaning of soot to do. I will then seal with hi temp silicon. The landing does not connect in any way to the dome it is separated by about 1cm top and front of entry arch.

Also note my reveal is not 1inch but is 3inch the rebate is 30mm.

I have included the photo john shared re twisted brick. Hope you don't mind john. The lower bricks in landing all need this done to align the face it is quite fiddly but worth it. The shape looks like its twisted.

Hope this helps.
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-22-2014, 04:59 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin. Thanks. Very helpful.

Comment

Working...
                                X