Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: new build in werribee

Thanks for that i agree with gulf.
    Ever seen pics of Italian pizza oven in Japanese setting....?

just had a thought, black and grey granite render with the stainless steel face, will blend in with the lantern and bowl. I think it's the winner
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Well after a 37 deg day, base is ready to pour. This thing is going no where, old man reckons it'll support almost anything. Any how pouring tomorrow.
      Cheers Colin

Comment

Well pad has been poured and all worked out quite well. I was just tonight trying to work out what the cooking floor height needs to be and found a thread talking about this. having read that thread about the 8" cantilevered hearth being overkill. I will point out that the pad in photos below is 360mm deep at pier depth. So i guess it ain't going anywhere in a hurry. I constructed it just like a house slab.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Well i had 30 hebel blocks 600x200x150 and 2 x 2.7mx75mmx600mm hebel panels delivered today. To be used for the oven stand and hearth base.

In the photos i posted of the concrete pad i poured on Monday as you can see it is cantilevered. I know the oven can weigh a tonne the Hebel stand will weigh approx 475kg.

The cantilever is 120mm @ 150mm thick with the reinforcing you can see in the photos reo mesh and 16mm reo.

my question is for all the experienced builders out there will the cantilevered pad support the weight. I know i am questioning myself here but would appreciate any feedback anyone can offer.

Cheers Colin
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm
            Well i had 30 hebel blocks 600x200x150 and 2 x 2.7mx75mmx600mm hebel panels delivered today. To be used for the oven stand and hearth base.

In the photos i posted of the concrete pad i poured on Monday as you can see it is cantilevered. I know the oven can weigh a tonne the Hebel stand will weigh approx 475kg.

The cantilever is 120mm @ 150mm thick with the reinforcing you can see in the photos reo mesh and 16mm reo.

my question is for all the experienced builders out there will the cantilevered pad support the weight. I know i am questioning myself here but would appreciate any feedback anyone can offer.

Cheers Colin
            Colin,
            you could probably put a tram on that slab, very thick and with heavy reo. You are almost doing the opposite by using Hebel for the supporting slab. I presume you are using the "Power Panel" which has 4mm steel reinforcing. Hebel is not particularly strong. I think you should consider cantilevering the supporting slab too, by placing the piers under the inner walls. a heavy load over a wide span with weak Hebel is courting problems IMO.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks David much appreciated. Re hebel I had the same concerns initially and havent taken this direction lightly. I have read cobblerdave thread and following camori build both used hebel. under their ovens. I have also spoken to hebel professionals and have been assured that with appropriate support under the panels all will be ok. I am using 150 mm wide blocks immediately under the oven position, with concealed lintels to support about 150 mm cantilevered hebel panel. The pad I built, its outer edges sit directly under the firebrick ring of the oven so the hebel blocks will be taking most of the weight.

My main concern for me is this damp course simply just sitting in the slab my small brain is wrestling with this the mere fact the Damp Course is not attached to the pad in any way with blocks on top. I'm scared the bloody thing will slip off. ;-) ANy brick layers out there that can put my punny mind at rest are appreciated :-)
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 12-19-2012, 02:39 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday
                Just to clear up any confusion....that's a hebel layer for insulation over a 100 mm slab of steel re-enforced slab on a base of core filled cement block. That's what I used
                Hebel It's not at all structural ....if I was to build a house the roof would be supported by a frame and the hebel would be the veneer a highly insulating veneer perhaps but definitely not to hold the house up.
                I have played with this stuff for years you can cut it carve it and make some really cool stuff with it . But to use it to support 200 odd bricks of a wfo oven I'd be careful. I'd consider perhaps adding at least a 25 mm sheet of compressed cement sheet with a central support colum.
                Hey I'll be wrong if someone has a better idea but again hebels great .....but not as the only support.

Regards Dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave

I will give it some more consideration, based on your and davids feedback. I am sure I have seen a couple of builds on the forum that have used hebel for the oven base. Think I need to go find them. Thx again dave
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Hey Dave I just checked out camori build, he is using Hebel panel and blocks to support his oven. I can see what you mean by central column to support the panel. I was also going to incorporate angle line lintels to further support the panels. I couldn't really see in his pics if he supported his panel with other the central column.

Cheers Colin again thx am now thinking a little more about this.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Also Dave thx for clearing up your build, my mistake, I was thinking of another but cannot remember who.
                      Cheers Colin
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi all

With Xmas and New year out of the way I was able to get stuck in to the base for the WFO. So I thought i should post some update photos of my build.

Cheers Colin
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Here are some more photos. I am supporting the hebel panel oven base with the metal lintel pictured [immediately under the the internal arch] and will also support the front of the panel with a hebel block supported by a lighter lintel. Over hang at the front will be around 150-200mm to get the 1600 - 1700 depth needed but this will only be supporting the very front of the arch.

Just not sure whether to have the hebel block across the front [of the base] vertical cut to 100mm or horizontal.

Cheers
                          Colin
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-09-2013, 05:15 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

I have a general question but am not sure if anyone can answer this due to my choice of using hebel panel [well supported] as the top of my base structure.

Oven builders out there seem to use vermicrete 75-125mm then insulating brick 75mm then fire brick up to 75mm for there base as per FB plans.

Since i am using the Hebel Panel 75mm, i intend using 50mm calsil baord with 65mm Fire Brick tiles on top of this. From CSR specifiers Hebel Panel has insulating properties so i am wondering if i need more than the calsil and firebrick, takingthis into consideration. My intention is to be able to cook over at least 2-3 days once the oven is fired.

Can anyone out there assist me here, as usual your ideas and input are more than welcomed as the assistance i find given on this site is invaluable. As they say more heads are better than one.
                            Cheers Colin
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 01-14-2013, 02:56 AM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday
                              65 mm firebrick ......heaps of thermal mass . With 50 cal sil and the hebel to keep the heat from leaking away ......I think you will be right.
                              On thermal mass the down side is the amount of wood and fire time to get the mass fully saturated can be considerable more. With a well insulated oven ( and door) if you find yourself with not enough temp a short fire will bring a cooling oven back to temp. I have cooked pizza on fri night closed the oven up till Sunday arvo temps are sub 100c a short fire and we are back to 120 150s and roasts and bread rolls..
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thx Dave very fast response that's what I love about this site. Took your advice and supported the Hebel Panel more than I was originally. Actually allowed me to use some metal I have had hanging around for about 10years. Always thought it might come in handy. Point proven don't throw stuff away that you feel might come in handy in the future.

Cheers Colin
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X