No announcement yet.

new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it happened, I finally finished my oven on Saturday [had to clean the decorative arch bricks].
    I will post the progress photos leading to finish and the surrounds at some point but here is the finished oven.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

• G'day
      The decretive tile came out pretty good in the end. The curved brick was worth the effort as well.
      Regards dave
      Last edited by cobblerdave; 03-13-2016, 01:49 PM.
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

• Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
        G'day
        The decretive tile came out pretty good in the end. The curved brick was worth the effort as well.
        Regards dave
        Hi Dave has been a while

Yeah I got disheartened on that decorative finish after many attempts with different pavers each time in the kiln it would disintegrate into myriads of pieces so I gave up. I ended up using a bluestone tile 30mm thick and did my etchings of the symbols grinded the middle for the centre piece which I had fire about 18 months ago. I diecided then to give up on the Glaze and firing and used a ceramic high temp enamel paint and external sealer.

I think it came up a treat.

As you can see I have completed most of the outdoor area but wont post photo's until finished. Still have stone bench tops, shoji screens above fence and planters to finish.

Then

That's it folks.

Changes

I would change one or two things eg. more insulation and the landing hearth I would have done what Karangi Dude did and have one thick piece of stone. Having the drop leaf down the front has not worked well with the heat. A thicker piece of stone would have been a much better option.

Will be starting Oven 2 later this year when we move - If they [owners corporation] let me build it.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-13-2016, 08:37 PM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

• HI All

Got some more done recently. Have now finished bulk of outdoor area that I can do while I wait for windows and stone. Grass trees in, ordered windows, stone bench tops, just need to get some soil for planters, some plants, pick up windows and stone and install and its all done. I will post photos once it is all finished [including progress photos. Then tidy up this thread.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

• Not much activity on site lately... Thought once certain fixes made people would be back. Doesn't seem to be the case.

Have ordered my shoji windows, stone tops decorative screen finished planters plant some plants. Once installed am done.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

• Hi

I was honoured to have the pleasure of Russell [Utahbeehiver] dropping in when he visited Melbourne recently. It was great meeting the man [and his lovely partner] that has in my humble opinion built the best oven on this site. That copper finish is simply astonishing. Russell is also the only one to see my finished project. I will post photos when I get some time to post.

Again Russell it was a privilege meeting the man himself and I hope to visit you in the future. and I owe you dinner. Thanks and say hi to J.

Cheers Colin

Comment

• Get out of that dismal Melbourne winter (from an ex Melbournian)
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• I agree especially when you want to do stuff outside. On the positive side lived in Brisabne for nearly 4 years hated the lack of distinct seasons, even if in Melbourne they are all in one day LOL
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

• Colin
                    So the Hebel stayed up. Didn't see any further discussion re relative strength of Hebel. I have a Firebox next to a Fireplace constructed with Hebel. I am thinking over doing the same build that you did for 39"/40" oven. Of course my fear is the whole thing could come down on some poor unsuspecting G kid. Doesn't bare thinking about. After your initial hesitation you seem to have not looked back.

Comment

• I happen to see Colin and the oven about a month ago. His oven base is very solid and he is planning on building a second oven using the same hebel material. Also, Alex (eastern Europe area) did his build out a similar material called yutong. There have been a handful of other southern hemi builders who have use Hebel for their bases and I have not seen or heard any negative feedback.
                      Russell
                      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Hey Russell i have had a good troll through some of those. I think the obvious conclusion seems to be this......it, the Hebel is so light in weight, therefore it must be low in strength. Anyway I am slave to mine now. I brought the house and i need to make do with what i have possibly. This Forum impresses me. I see Colin was very impressed with your build. I must look that up now.
                        BTW i have been to your wonderful state. I skied about four years ago at Deer Valley, Canyon, Park City and Snowbird(skiing was sensational here). Spent a day in Salt Lake City as well.
                        Cheers Dave

Comment

• Dave,

I am partial to Snowbird since I have been on their instructor staff close to 25 years. I teach both snowboarding and skiing so it keeps me young and active for an old guy.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Russell
                            Woops Checked my list of places skied and it was Brighton not Snowbird. I know Snowbird is in the same area. We were staying in Park City so skied mostly in that area. A couple of our pommie mates ventured down to Alta.
                            Cheers Dave

Comment

• Hey daveskis

Sorry guys have been absent work is killing me slowly.

The hebel is fine I used 150mm thick blocks, next oven I wont use as thick blocks as it is unnecessary. I have seen another build here elsewhere [on this forum] using 75m blocks it all works. Strength is not an issue they build houses with this stuff.

Hey Russell was great meeting in person. Hopefully one day I will get to Utah.

Still have to post my finishing photos backyard is now completely completed Russell. I will take some photos and post soon. As I said work is killing me. bloody NDIS federal government should be shot drawn and quartered.

It is also cheaper not reo no having to fill. I will admit I painted mine inside and out [outside is a render finish this is a necessity.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

• Trying a new flour between now and when we move to new place. {yep need to build a new oven arrrrrgh]. No point in buying 25 kg of Caputo. Even going to try fresh yeast. So stay tuned that will be interesting as I do not know how to prepare. I am trying different pizzeria flour from Italy as I could buy it in 5 kg amounts.

Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X