Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    Re: new build in werribee

Ok weekend work photo's. Began the shiralite laying 40mm using Liteceeper's method. Works a treat......
    Nice job
    Last edited by Alomran; 05-08-2017, 01:46 AM.

Comment

• Thx alomran
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

• OH this has been excellent reading.
        I'm in the planning stage of my corner build oven, and am working on the base at the moment.
        I'm either going to use a steel frame from square tube or hebel. I need to keep the total weight down, hence not besser blocks.
        I see you use 150mm wide hebel blocks, would you think that they would take a supended slab vs a powerpanel hearth?

Comment

• Be very careful if doing a corner build and doing an igloo style as it's quite difficult to finish the oven at the sides and the back with limited space. An enclosure style is easier if you have walls to work against.
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by smeltitdeltit View Post
            OH this has been excellent reading.
            I'm in the planning stage of my corner build oven, and am working on the base at the moment.
            I'm either going to use a steel frame from square tube or hebel. I need to keep the total weight down, hence not besser blocks.
            I see you use 150mm wide hebel blocks, would you think that they would take a supended slab vs a powerpanel hearth?
            Hey Mate I wouldn't hesitate using Hebel. Although in my build I wanted extra height so I put an extra layer of Hebel. Therefore also strengthening the under floor. Don't be too worried about access to the Igloo during building. By the time you get to top of the dome you will have all sorts of scaffolding in place.
            And my advice, as I have said before. Don't be too concerned with all the advice on here.......although very helpful, you will increase your expertise by just getting started. Then you too will be an expert after a short time.

Comment

• Originally posted by daveskis View Post

Hey Mate I wouldn't hesitate using Hebel. Although in my build I wanted extra height so I put an extra layer of Hebel. Therefore also strengthening the under floor. Don't be too worried about access to the Igloo during building. By the time you get to top of the dome you will have all sorts of scaffolding in place.
              And my advice, as I have said before. Don't be too concerned with all the advice on here.......although very helpful, you will increase your expertise by just getting started. Then you too will be an expert after a short time.
              Cheers!
              I'm probably going to stick with a steel base, but a Hebel hearth.

What sort of spacing for the supports for the Hebel Hearth are people using? Someone suggested 200mm centres, is that overkill? That would make on my 1500x1500 corner build, Id have 6 lintels?

Comment

• I used Hebel power panel (steel reinforced) for my mobile oven and attribute its failure to other structural problems with the oven. In a stationary location and with a layer of insulation between it and the floor (I only had 1" of 10:1 vermicrete) it may be a different story. But I've since rebuilt the oven using a reinforced concrete base instead. Details here #1

Comment

• Originally posted by david s View Post
                  I used Hebel power panel (steel reinforced) for my mobile oven and attribute its failure to other structural problems with the oven. In a stationary location and with a layer of insulation between it and the floor (I only had 1" of 10:1 vermicrete) it may be a different story. But I've since rebuilt the oven using a reinforced concrete base instead. Details here #1
                  OK, thanks.
                  From other threads, yours was on a trailer, and you hit a speed bump?

Do you know what the spacing you had on the supports for the hearth?

I see Hebel make powerpanels that people seem to use as well as a powerfloor panel, I'm wondering why the powerpanel is being used over the powerfloor?

Edit: Sorry didn't see the link in your post. From the pics, were you using flat iron supports at a spacing of about 400mm?

I'm planing on rectangle tube and 200mm centres on my hearth base. Im chasing weight as its on a re-enforced low level deck (I know there are a lot of concerns with that in itself but thats another topic)
                  Last edited by smeltitdeltit; 09-04-2017, 06:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by smeltitdeltit View Post

OK, thanks.
                    From other threads, yours was on a trailer, and you hit a speed bump?

Do you know what the spacing you had on the supports for the hearth?

I see Hebel make powerpanels that people seem to use as well as a powerfloor panel, I'm wondering why the powerpanel is being used over the powerfloor?

Edit: Sorry didn't see the link in your post. From the pics, were you using flat iron supports at a spacing of about 400mm?

I'm planing on rectangle tube and 200mm centres on my hearth base. Im chasing weight as its on a re-enforced low level deck (I know there are a lot of concerns with that in itself but thats another topic)
                    Yes, it was on a trailer and I hit a speed bump.
                    spacings are 300 mm centres and the steel frame was made from 50 x 50 x 4 mm gal angle with centre supports 50 x 4 mm galv flat bar. The strength of the frame was fine and I've retained it for the rebuild.
                    The first stand I made for one of my ovens was made with rolled hollow section, but I felt it had too much flex and now build them with the 4 mm thick angle. The strength and stiffness of the stand is dependent on the size and weight of your oven, (mine weighs 250 kg.) Adding diagonals to the stand will strengthen it heaps.

Comment

• Originally posted by david s View Post

Yes, it was on a trailer and I hit a speed bump.
                      spacings are 300 mm centres and the steel frame was made from 50 x 50 x 4 mm gal angle with centre supports 50 x 4 mm galv flat bar. The strength of the frame was fine and I've retained it for the rebuild.
                      The first stand I made for one of my ovens was made with rolled hollow section, but I felt it had too much flex and now build them with the 4 mm thick angle. The strength and stiffness of the stand is dependent on the size and weight of your oven, (mine weighs 250 kg.) Adding diagonals to the stand will strengthen it heaps.
                      Thanks for that.
                      My oven will be somewhere closer to 1500kg plus the stand itself I'm calculating.
                      Was planning on the the uprights to be from 50x50x3 RHS and the base for the hearth to be 100x50x3 rectangle. Centre supports the same rectangle and have 6 of them with approx 190mm spacing. Diagonals on each of the 5 main uprights , and 11 uprights total ( it's a corner build, 1500x1500)
                      Interestig that you think the angle iron is better than the same gauge RHS?
                      Whilst it's a lot heavier, it won't be dealing with speed bumps!

Comment

• [QUOTE
                        Interestig that you think the angle iron is better than the same gauge RHS?
                        /QUOTE]

The RHS I used was only 30 mm square and 1.6 thick.
                        The Galv angle I replaced it with is 50 x 50 x 4 mm. Way stronger.

Comment

• Hi All

It has been a while but I have been busy due to my front yard being destroyed due to major storm water plumbing blockage. lost my big native gum tree and whole front yard destroyed to realign the pipe work. Have spent the last six months re doing the landscape and am now nearly finished. just one last project out there and I can get out into the back yard and oven mk2.

I will post some front yard pics shortly. during this time I actually have been re employed back into the same roll I previously had but with a different organisation. feels great to be back at work but less time to do the yard. Hopefully it wont take 2 years of weekends like the last oven took as I have all the tools I am hoping to use no mortar in this one and rely on gravity. so cutting will need to be super accurate.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

• Gday Colin,

Has taken me a few days but have read most of your posts.

I was looking for the answer on whether or not cutting the tapered bricks on the cutting jig had any effect? I have similar tapered bricks and am thinking about building a jig, but it seems to me that the front to back taper of the brick will effect the cutting angles.
                            Or at the least the bricks would have to be cut in half and then tapered cutting from each side of the blade as they wouldn't be able to be flipped like i think it was in MrChipsters jig.

Edit: disregard, figured it out. Needs to be done in 4 cuts.
                            Cheers
                            Shane
                            Last edited by shanesmith80; 03-04-2018, 01:48 AM.

Comment

• Hi Shane sorry for not getting back to you. i have not been on site for a while. Wow you read the whole thing, impressive.

Not sure where you get 4 cuts from. i cut each brick thrice. I worked out the size of my oven by experimenting with various different tapered bricks so it formed the dome arch size i wanted photos in thread. So no cutting. I then constructed [or a mate did] a compound mitre brick saw tray. So only needed to set up each brick, then, if i remember, it needed cutting once, then put on other side cut again rotated and then cut again on other side. for 3 cuts.

guessing you have finished your oven by now
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

• Hi All

In my first build, I imported my flue system [Superpro] from the states. Since the same system is now around $1200 [previously $550] imported.
                                In my search for an insulated flue system for my next oven, I stumbled on this.

https://www.timelessclassicwoodstoves.com/

They have 1m double insulated flue, 250mm double insulated flue, joined makes it 1250mm long, weld a plate to base of short length to create an adaptor plate, a double to single skin joiner and anti downdraught flue for $600 delivered.

They are based in Adelaide. Will be ordering shortly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	58a_110x110@2x.jpg Views:	1 Size:	7.5 KB ID:	405177
                                Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-01-2018, 12:47 AM.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X