No announcement yet.

new build in werribee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been harping lately about where salvage/used fire bricks came from and what process they were used in. Just trying to keep folks safe from bricks involved with bad chemical or heavy metals processes that may have contaminated the bricks.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Hi Russell

Hadn't thought of that. Might make some enquiries from the guy I purchased this lot from. The hearth tiles are new, only the dome is used firebricks. My last oven I also used, used bricks i bought from Brickie-in Oz, if you remember.

Everyone that has eaten from that oven is still with us!!!!! but I do get your point and will make some enquiries. They look ok surface wise. Maybe a light sanding before laying would remove any possible contaminants.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        Re: new build in werribee

2 times 1.5" ceramic fiber blanket and 2-3" of perlcrete and 1/2-3/4" strucco. Drilled into concrete hearth about an inch from the dome or as close as I could because the screws would be covered the the CF and percrete. and on the sides at mortar joints. The screws are not set to hold the world just enough to add tension to the rebar wire to hold the CF and something for the chicken wire to fasten to.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/3...tml#post154110

PS that piece of SS for a thermal break looks very familiar...........
        Hello again!, I noticed in this thread you talked about a piece of "SS"...What is "SS"? Where can I get it? and is there a thread somewhere that you know of that talks more about installing it? Sorry for all the questions...Thanks, again. Zoo

Comment

• Originally posted by zoolander View Post
          ...I noticed in this thread you talked about a piece of "SS"...What is "SS"?...
          That would be stainless steel. Often, a piece of stainless steel square tubing is placed between the main hearth bricks and the bricks covering the area under the outer arch / vent area. Since stainless steel has fairly low thermal conductivity (see below) and since the tubing is filled with air (even lower thermal conductivity), it acts as a thermal break - see the pictures in the linked thread. That is also why SS is a good material for fire tools.

Thermal conductivity, k
          Copper 401
          Aluminum 205
          Brass 109
          Iron 70
          Carbon Steel 54
          Stainless Steel 17
          I have returned to the Forum, too many good builds going on to stay away. I have rebuilt my photo links and build documentation for anyone who is interested

Comment

• Coastal Pizza already answered the SS question. But a good place to look for a piece of stainless steel tubing is a metal surplus or fab shop for cut offs. The thinner wall the better, you could even use channel as well. You only need a couple feet.
            Russell

Comment

• Originally posted by CoastalPizza View Post

That would be stainless steel. Often, a piece of stainless steel square tubing is placed between the main hearth bricks and the bricks covering the area under the outer arch / vent area. Since stainless steel has fairly low thermal conductivity (see below) and since the tubing is filled with air (even lower thermal conductivity), it acts as a thermal break - see the pictures in the linked thread. That is also why SS is a good material for fire tools.

Thanks for the help to both you and Utah....would either of you, or anyone else, have a good suggestion for buying chimney pieces? Stainless steel is still the recommended material correct? I didn't know if there is a good source to pick a chimney system up at that I haven't found yet....Zoo

Comment

• I would check your local classifieds or Craigslist for used double all SS vent. If you go retail then most big box stores, ie HD or Menards carry it. I have also seen some on Ebay or online stores.
                Russell

Comment

• {"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\t Views:\t3 Size:\t1.1 KB ID:\t412583","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"412583","data-size":"icon"} Cool!, Thanks.....I saw this on C-List and was wondering if I could use this as I will be doing a brick chimney on the exterior??

It's hard to tell from the pics as they are uploaded in a microscopic size but it is a SS Chimney liner kit....
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by zoolander; 04-23-2019, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X