Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camo's new 36" build Brisbane

Gudday camo
    Plenty of time to remove that mortar with the dome still open. Wire brush on your angle grinder perhaps.
    You have still got the teardrop shape check out "Oven on wheels " in the other oven types section page 12 . Mike had the same problem but filled it in to regain round . Best position on the whole oven to have a bit of different brickwork. Once you close the dome the only way to see it is to get on you back and slide your head in to see the brick above.

Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by Camori View Post
      Cheers Brendan, bit of an optical illusion I think. I don't think it would be possible to use a band saw as these fire bricks are big and heavy. I'm using a cheap saw I picked up at Bunnings for $50, last one, no box etc I think they were going for $100 anyway most of the cuts are straight only on the long ones along the brick was I able to make two or three cuts and round it up a bit. But yes I was happy how it turned out.
      G'day Camo,

Im looking at getting one of these saw's myself, can you tell me were you able to cut all your bricks with the one blade?
      My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

Hi Wayne, the saw I'm using is a Skil 3220 metal cutting drop saw. I actually found someone in Bunnings that knew what he was talking about and recommended this one over all the rest for cutting bricks as he said the motor wouldn't burn out. Anyway for $50 I thought I couldn't go wrong. All I can say is it hasn't missed a beat (touch wood) especially with all the dust. I am using a stone cutting abraisive blade (wet cutting) They go for about $18 ea and I'm on my third. Before I cut, I soak the brick in a bucket of water until it stops fizzing and then as I am cutting I pour some water onto the blade with a small watering can. It works and keeps the dust down.
        Cheers
        Camo

Comment

I actually found someone in Bunnings that knew what he was talking about
          Thats an oxymoron, there is no one in bunnies that knows what they are talking about.

and recommended this one over all the rest for cutting bricks as he said the motor wouldn't burn out.
          How did he reach this conclusion, did he run extensive tests on all the brands on display?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

No He was just quite informative

Comment

7th course finished !!!

Comment

Gudday camo
                Was interested in your use of a metal cut off saw to cut your bricks so I visited bunnings to have a look. Also checked out super cheap auto as well.
                Checked out the brick saw hire $75 for 4 hrs $110 for the day.
                Checked out the tile cutters $200 and 65 mm cut ... A bit to small I'd think.
                2 sizes available for the metal cut of saw. An 800 watt with a 150 mm cut .
                A 350 mm cut with a 1800 watt motor a ....real monster.
                I didn't check out if brick blades were available for the larger but the 150 mm cut were. The cheaply saw was only $69 .
                I recon it should be able to cut 200 odd bricks for an oven before expiring of brick dust ingestion. If you get some more work out of it...bonus.
                Recon it's a winner for a bloke to build one oven with ....a pro tool it isn't but your not making your living off it.

Regards Dave
                Ps I didn't ask for advice it was evening and only the shelf packers were about.
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave, the saw is a 2000W using a 355mm blade. It has been great and doing the job. It is a much cheaper option for me than buying or hiring a brick saw.

Comment

8th course done. As you can see by the photos below and the stuff up I made by turning the bricks on the door arch I now have a "teardrop" hole to close. The dimensions are 160mm wide by 250 long. So now what are my options ??
                    Really the only thing I can do is shape a couple of bricks putting them at the pointy end and make a 160 dia circle to close or ............
                    Any other suggestions ????
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	8th course 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	293300

Name:	8th course 004.jpg
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	293301

Name:	8th course 005.jpg
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	293302

Comment

Hi CaM

I Would Cut Brick Narrow End To Reform The Circle As You Have Said Or You could Use A Castable Plug If You Aren't Phased By How It Looks From Outside Of The OVen Not That IWould Stick My Head In.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-12-2013, 07:08 PM.
                      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

I also had a bit of "asymmetry" when I completed my bridge over the arch. My teardrop was not quite as elongated as yours but with a few "fancy cuts" I was able to bring it pretty close to round before closing it off.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of this, but if I remember correctly, I cut a cardboard template to provide the shape I needed to bring me back to round. By carefully trimming some bricks I created a crescent moon shaped "semi course" that fit my template and got me pretty close.

I made my "adjustment" on the 8th or 9th course of a 42" build, so I think my "semi course" was made in 2 or 3 pieces. Looks like you could do it with one.

Or you could go with the semi circular/egg shaped closure. There is nothing wrong with that and there is no rule that says all your courses have to be the same thickness. That is, you can cut your bricks to 1/2 thickness if that gives you a little more flexibility to size your keystone or final slug. You could even size it to fit a whole brick (rounded on the edges of course), but that takes some work. Believe me I know, I used a 10" diameter slug to close off my dome and it took almost 3 hours of shaping and trimming to get it right.

I'm sure you'll figure it out. It's pretty hard to get your head inside to look at it once your build is done anyway so I wouldn't worry about the aesthetics too much. "Out of sight out of mind" as they say. Make sure you post some pictures of your solution...you know we all love the pictures...especially closing the dome...it's a great feeling when it's done.

Good Luck
                        Regards,
                        AT
                        Last edited by ATK406; 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

How do you get a teardrop shape using a jig that is fixed in the middle of the oven is what Id like to know?
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Well I decided to bring back the opening to a circle and here are the results. Looks way out of place but as the missus says "who the hell is going to know if they don't put their head inside." I suppose the thing more important is the food we are going to pull out of it. Anyway I can see the finish of the dome which is a huge relief . Will close this afternoon and celebrate with a bottle of bubbly or something

Comment

Nice work. If you don't mind my saying so it looks a bit like an Easter egg...perfect! You'll be glad when it's done.

You know there's alot of truth to your wife's comment. I even went through the effort to inscribe something into the keystone plug for posterity. I used a burned out old dremel bit and allowed the carbon from the steel to blacken the lettering so it could be seen....Don't you know it can only be seen after the dome clears at about 800F....and nobody's going to put their head into that inferno. The rest of the time the dome is pitch black. Oh well at least I took a picture.

Enjoy your "closing ceremony" and a well deserved drink.

AT
                              Last edited by ATK406; 03-19-2013, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks AT for the encouragement - Yes the dome is now closed That was some job Now to move onto the entrance and chimney

Comment

Working...
                                X