Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice

Hi All,

New to the forum, decided to post. Just finished building a new house and decided to install an outdoor BBQ/ kitchen area. I'll post my progress as I go, but for now I'm researching and collecting materials.

This is the second oven I'm making, the first was based off russell jervous book and a few other ideas.. So it was made with 'pressed reds' for dome and base with vermiculite cement insulation and render dome. It turned out well and has been utilized well, only problem was the insulation has cracked , but this doesn't affect the performance.

Anyway this time round I intend to rectify my errors and try to mitigate against the cracks. Watched all the vid's on YouTube, read the forums and have decided to spend a bit of extra $ and build with recommended materials, and hope for the best

So, this is what I'm planning, any suggestions or advise is welcome.

1100 internal dome, but this time have decided to use firebrick for base and dome. Two or three layers of Ceramic blanket and chicken wire then layer of vermiculite and cement, more chicken wire then two coats of render and wire finished off with waterproof sealant as the oven will be exposed to the elements.

I've posted another thread looking for suppliers and have now found what I'm looking for. So went to Morgan Thermal Ceramics at Beverly and found they have just about everything refractory. They got bricks for $4.40ea and also the 50mm floor tiles for about $15 each.their blankets they call superwool.

Not sure whether to use the bricks or the 50mm floor tile for the base?

They also sell the subfloor insulation, but they've got stuff called V1100 which is a vermiculite product (25mm thick) not the other FB? stuff others tend to recommend. Any suggestions?

The other thing is the mortar. I can get the 'poor mans mortar' or Thermal Ceramics also sell 20kg drum of 'Blackite mortar' for $60. I haven't heard of the stuff before but would be happy to use it if anyone knows anything about it and if it's suitable. This stuff comes wet, so no mixing just scoop it out and use it.

I want to keep the mortar to a minimum on this build.

For the waterproof layer, was thinking of using this stuff called 'emer-clad waterproof membrane, which I see another Pompeii builder used on YouTube

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Rob..

Re: Adelaide Build Quest, refractory advice

Hi Rob,

Have a look at this link for a dome calculator, should minimise mortar.

http://http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/dome-spreadsheet-calculator-18131.html

I also posted some suppliers to your other post.

Cheers

Craig
    Last edited by BOOMERS WFO; 10-13-2012, 12:18 AM. Reason: link correction
    "All I ask is the chance to prove that money can't make me happy"

Spike Milligan

"It is only impossible if you stop and think about it"
    The Pirate Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Robd View Post

1100 internal dome
      Thats a big dome, are you building in a restaurant?

Not sure whether to use the bricks or the 50mm floor tile for the base?
      I used the 50mm floor tiles on my current (second) oven and wouldnt use them again, next time Ill use a firebrick, the tiles crack with use.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

thanks for the tip. That's what i was afraid of. 50mm just seems a bit thin for the base, and I don't want to run the increased risk of damage to the floor.

Last oven I built had 1000 internal and is a good size, but when we're cooking for the entire family might as well be a restaurant, can be upwards of 20 people sometimes.

I just figure that by the time you've got a fire, and a pizza in there, that little bit extra room goes a long way.. Chuck in a roast on the side or whatever

Thanks for that link Craig, and yes I got your other post. Appreciate your help

Comment

Hi,

so, i've finally collected all the reqired materials and have managed to make a bit of progress since i first posted on here, the attachents show my progress to the hearth floor, its coming along nicely

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0437.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	292195

Name:	IMG_0434.JPG
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	292196

Name:	IMG_0428.JPG
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	292197

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	292198

Name:	IMG_0417.JPG
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	292199

Comment

more of the base

Name:	IMG_0416.JPG
Size:	233.9 KB
ID:	292200

Name:	IMG_0415.JPG
Size:	308.9 KB
ID:	292201

Name:	IMG_0414.JPG
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	292202

Name:	IMG_0411.JPG
Size:	250.7 KB
ID:	292203

Name:	IMG_0408.JPG
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	292204

Comment

finally started the dome.

Name:	IMG_0452.JPG
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	292205

Name:	IMG_0453.JPG
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	292206

Name:	IMG_0455.JPG
Size:	216.4 KB
ID:	292207

Name:	IMG_0456.JPG
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	292208

Comment

Rob, you can build that close to your property line? If so, that is awesome, I have to throw 5 ft away, unless it's a plant.
                Check out my pictures here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Rob,
                  go with the poor mans mortar as it is the best, cheapest, very easy to work and doesn't crack like some of those refractory mortars.
                  You are welcome to come and check my 40" Pompeii built in 07 and no cracks (except in the final render coating).
                  Why do you need to chicken wire between your vermiculite insulation layer and your final render layer?
                  I got all of my materials from Thermal Ceramics, Beverley and all works well. Only firebricks were from the old Adelaide abattoir boiler at $1 each

Neill
                  Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
                  Neill’s kitchen underway
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                    Rob, you can build that close to your property line? If so, that is awesome, I have to throw 5 ft away, unless it's a plant.
                    If it is too late now.. Just a BBQ so not an issue

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                      Rob,
                      go with the poor mans mortar as it is the best, cheapest, very easy to work and doesn't crack like some of those refractory mortars.
                      You are welcome to come and check my 40" Pompeii built in 07 and no cracks (except in the final render coating).
                      Why do you need to chicken wire between your vermiculite insulation layer and your final render layer?
                      I got all of my materials from Thermal Ceramics, Beverley and all works well. Only firebricks were from the old Adelaide abattoir boiler at $1 each

Neill
                      Hey Neil,

I went to Morgan Thermal but ended up getting basically everything from Frank at Avero Australia. He did a package deal for everything refractory. I've opted to use high heat mortar for the dome, already bought it so no turning back now.

I intend to use the chicken wire in the final layers of render,after the vermiculite. Just so it's that little bit stronger.

Rob

Comment

If it is too late now.. Just a BBQ so not an issue
                        Rob,
                        I think you'll find most councils in Australia require 1.5 m from the boundary fence for anything. If you have a difficult neighbour they could force you to tear it down. Having said that, mine is right on the boundary fence too, but I'm really careful to keep the smoke to a minimum (always maintain a flame) and provide my neighbours with occasional pizza and bread- no problems. When you start eliminating the water from your oven with the first fires it will be smokey.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          Rob,
                          I think you'll find most councils in Australia require 1.5 m from the boundary fence for anything.
                          That was 20 years ago, the BCA now says you can build on the boundary line as long as the construction has at least a half hour fire rating, ie, 110mm thick brickwork.

Ive seen timber framed units built with just 20mm thick cement sheet as the dividing fire rated material.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            That was 20 years ago, the BCA now says you can build on the boundary line as long as the construction has at least a half hour fire rating, ie, 110mm thick brickwork.

Ive seen timber framed units built with just 20mm thick cement sheet as the dividing fire rated material.
                            People often say that Queensland is 20 years behind the times. Here in Townsville the 1.5 m rule applies.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Its the Building Code of Australia so should be uniform as was the intent.

Please point me in the direction of the amendment.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X