• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    g'day
    We have also got snow in SE QLD. Best falls in 30 years. 8 cm
    When asked how did they measure the snow fall... They used a plastic ruler.
    They don't get snow that often... So... They did the best they could.
    Stantorpe had an influx of day visitors and the hotels were booked out
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied
    Something I did not expect to see here in Bathurst.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Bathurst Build 100cm ish

G'day
    Low temps and low humidity have the advantage of drying that wood out.
    They already have a few "splits" in them... That's great.
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Way to go. There is a lot of good wood around if you look for it and are prepared to keep it for a year or so to season.

Nice pickup.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

I forget that not everyone has access to their own wood, looks like a nice jag - all the better that it was free

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Our second load of free wood, courtesy of the local electric company. Almost entirely eucalyptus with a bit of soft wood thrown in. Looking good for next season.

Leave a comment:

• Steady
    replied

Looking good Rosemary

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

one week on and we are trying out the taller chimney. I was amazed how well it held the heat. Even though it is still losing moisture like crazy. We can't wait for tonights pizza.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Then we moved onto Roast chook the next night smokey goodness. Oh wow I've cooked a mean chook before but this was amazing.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Mmmmmm Pizza finally

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hi rosemary

Are brings memories. Dying and tempering remember to temper oven by creating grinning fires fast great up, slow heat up, for on for off. Retained heat high tell low temp.

I did this for about 2 months even one dried. Too this date I have zero cracking and oven now heat to temp and clears very very quickly. Can get roaring fire happening and cleared in an hour.

Well done liking forward to more photos

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

So the rain comes and goes and I'm half way up the side with the vermicrete/perlcrete. Totally weird stuff to work with. I have ended up with some jumbo boxes wrapped around the outside as rough formwork, it holds this layer in place without compacting it and means I have an even thickness. We are planning on smoothing the rough bits out after then rendering and then a final coat of ??? Something???? Not sure yet. That stuff you are using Colin looks great. I had though to use some stuff called Qpebble but they have changed the colour range and I can't see green or blue as the right colour.
    I'll post some more photos soon.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

arrgh. raining its pouring, six days straight rain forecasted, two down four to go, and the long weekend and friends visiting

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

I put another coolish fire in yesterday and the dome partially cleared. I kept that going for about four hours. But today it might rain, slight chance, a teeny bit this afternoon. But I have a plan. I have a spare chimney cap and I am going to place that on the top of the blanket and if it does sprinkle some rain on us I'll wrap the tarp around the oven and the chimney cap should let that very hot air/steam escape with out melting too much of the tarp, or letting too much of the blanket get damp. Last time I fired it up hot, it was 100C+ coming out of the join in the blanket, which definitely would have melted the tarp.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

funny thing. I thought that when you cleared the dome and then it cooled down it would get all sooty again, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X