X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oasiscdm
    replied
    Re: Bathurst Build 100cm ish

latest attempt been using fired Pavers . Cannot find a fire brick tile which I know works in a kiln. Not sure what to do now. Thinking of somehow if a glaze can be fired at less than 1000deg c could achieve this in the oven. By having fire directly on the covered piece I am trying to make. Seems over 1200x it just destroys the paver. Even if it has previously been fired at that temp

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

latest attempt been using fired Pavers . Cannot find a fire brick tile which I know works in a kiln. Not sure what to do now. Thinking of somehow if a glaze can be fired at less than 1000deg c could achieve this in the oven. By having fire directly on the covered piece I am trying to make. Seems over 1200x it just destroys the paver.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

latest attempt been using fired Pavers . Cannot find a fire brick tile

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Or you could try using the stuff that people paint on plates and bowls that is usually fired at a lower temp and should work and last for eternity

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

You could try earthen ware glazes but they tend to be more muted colours. You are in SA?? Try finding a pottery supply place and ask if they have any kilnware furniature?? You might be able to use that.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

I used stoneware underglaze paints and glazes. My fire brick are pretty heavy they came out of a furnace. What happened to yours they need to be really dry before firing otherwise they might crack or explode.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

W hat glaze did you use, what did it need to be fired at.
    My decorative keystone on front arch disintegrated again inthe kiln.

Looks like take 3 need to find a 400 x 400 fire brick tile/slab . Pavers even kiln fired are not coping.

Or

A glaze that fires at a lower temp.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Not at this stage but who knows if it turns out to be a nice symmetrical plug maybe some kind of flame star??? We'll just have to wait and see.

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Rosemary

Cool seeing the idea taken further.

maybe one day someone will turn the inside of an oven into a work of glazed art.

My second oven might need to up the ante lol can't wait for the reveal photo's. Doing anything with plug?
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-27-2014, 04:10 AM.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Ahh they are underglaze paints. You paint them on then use a clear glaze. Some have an upper limit of say 1150 but most go to 1200. Pretty arn't they and yes it was an Escher drawing.
    Last edited by SpottedFrog; 11-21-2014, 02:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by SpottedFrog View Post
    Don't fret Dave I'm a potter from way back. These were fired to 1200?C, so they will stay the distance. I wonder how many people have made that mistake though? He he he.
    Rosemary,
    Now I'm really interested. How did you achieve such bright colours with stoneware glazes?

Dave

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Don't fret Dave I'm a potter from way back. These were fired to 1200•C, so they will stay the distance. I wonder how many people have made that mistake though? He he he.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Originally posted by SpottedFrog View Post
    Finally it worked, one for the back inside of the dome and one for each side of the entrance
    Nice one. A little help from M C Escher by the look of it. If you used normal paint, either acrylic or oil, I would doubt whether it will last too long.Probably really need to paint it with glazes and fire it for a permanent solution.

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

G'day
    There fantastic!
    How did you do them? The colours are great, there heatproof I take it
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Finally it worked, one for the back inside of the dome and one for each side of the entrance

Leave a comment:

Working...
X