• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cobblerdave
    replied
    Re: Bathurst Build 100cm ish

Originally posted by madKW View Post
    Hi all I have got the stand finished and put into place .Put a layer of empty beer bottles down and covered with a saw dust and clay slip mix .Pix to come I hope
    cheers
    Gudday madKW
    No thread? No pics? Didnt happen .... Time to start showing us your progress.
    The northern part of our planet is now to cold for homebrew to set... Our great southern land is either to hot to venture outdoors or cyclonic. Your It.
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• madKW
    replied

Hi all I have got the stand finished and put into place .Put a layer of empty beer bottles down and covered with a saw dust and clay slip mix .Pix to come I hope
    cheers

Leave a comment:

• madKW
    replied

Hi Rosemary that would be great . No I havent started a new thread yet .I need to set some time aside to do that
    cheers
    Marty

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Hi Marty, yeah I did but they are used. I'll on you my phone number so we can chat about them if you like. Have you started a thread yet for your build?

Leave a comment:

• madKW
    replied

Hi all put down the decomposed granite a week ago and started the timber stand last weekend ,with a bit of luck I may finish it next week end .Then it onto the insulating layer of glass bottles , then sand then bricks and fire bricks .Rosemary did you get your fire bricks locally?
    cheers for now
    Marty

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Big smiles here. Just levelled the floor and ran the peels over it and it works. Oh so much better than we thought it would. Might need to do a tiny bit of grinding in one spot. But much better than we thought it would be. Very pleased as some of the yes are a bit warped. The clay sand mix is very fluffy needed the dust mask again. Next to slide in the cardboard and mortar up the soldiers.

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Hey Dave, thanks for that. Yep the same bricks as in the dome are under the tiles.we are looking these bricks and leveling their surface by using a poor mans mortar brushed into the cracks then hosed down. Can't do too much else atm as it has been so stinking hot. 40 plus degrees most days here and very smokey due to the fires in the blue mountains. Came up with a good way of mixing the dry mortar. In a plastic paint bucket. The kind you save left over paint in. Just measure it out shake it up then mix as much as you need for the job at hand. The rest stays nice and dry.
    Last edited by SpottedFrog; 01-16-2014, 12:34 PM. Reason: Wasn't finished

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Gudday Rosemary
    if you taking photos on an I phone or tablet.....hold it landscape not portrait way up, button on the right, the pics will come out right.
    great progress by the way.
    Your using a layer of brick to increase the thermal mass under those firebrick tiles?
    Regards Dave

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Floor almost cut but not leveled

Leave a comment:

• madKW
    replied

Thanks Dave
    You may well be wright because I cant find any info on the net of anyone ever attempting the pot idea. I thought of the idea when I saw a terracotta tandori oven ,but thats not a pizza oven and its not 750mm+ in diameter !!!.And I cant find a pot that size for under $350 so I think its a none starter . I will make myself a sand castle and go from there.
    I was give a bag of dry bentonite clay and I made some test bricks 2/1 3/1 4/1 ,they cracked badly a crumbled very easily,even with straw in some . I was at the local gravel/sand supplier on Sat and he had some Brickies clay and said it can be used for Pizza ovens, so I got a bag and made the same test bricks .The results were VERY good very hard no crumbling and very little shrinkage.so that looks promising
    Cheers for now
    Marty

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Originally posted by madKW View Post
    Hi Rosemary
    My plane was/is to leave the pot as the liner of the oven ,I believe they will handle the high temps.I made a SMALL prototype out of a 200mm ish pot ,I cut an opening it with an angle grinder covered it with straight cob about 50mm or so then added another layer with straw in it .I let it dry out for a couple of weeks then I lit a fire in it ,I kept it burning for 4 hours with no problem.The cob went a bit crumbly but that is easy fixed with a few more test bricks.I will see if I can post a photo or two
    cheers for now
    Marty
    Gudday Marty
    My uncle used to use use a pot cut in half and stacked on itself in the blacksmiths hearth he used as a mini kiln . I'd pump the bellows and he would be always warn me not to go to hard as the pots would explode if pushed to hard. He only used them once , and never fired them a second time.
    I have not known anyone to use one to date, and report success .
    Myself I'd do my research carefully, I'll be wrong of course, but a straight clay dome is a lot more common and usable
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• madKW
    replied

Hi Rosemary
    My plane was/is to leave the pot as the liner of the oven ,I believe they will handle the high temps.I made a SMALL prototype out of a 200mm ish pot ,I cut an opening it with an angle grinder covered it with straight cob about 50mm or so then added another layer with straw in it .I let it dry out for a couple of weeks then I lit a fire in it ,I kept it burning for 4 hours with no problem.The cob went a bit crumbly but that is easy fixed with a few more test bricks.I will see if I can post a photo or two
    cheers for now
    Marty

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Hi Marty,
    how would you get the pot out if you could find one big enough? You could try the styrofoam box method then you don't need as much sand.

Leave a comment:

• madKW
    replied

Hi Rosemary I will check out the alternative build section ,I have been playing with the idea of using a LARGE terracotta pot upside down and then cobing over that .But I am having a few problems finding one with an internal measurement of 750mm +.So I think it my be the tried true method of a sand dome .I will keep looking till i start the stand then I will have to decide one way or another.I got the railway sleepers down and fixed in place today so tomorrow I will dig out ready for the decomposed granite to go in next week end .
    cheers for now
    Marty

Leave a comment:

• SpottedFrog
    replied

Hi Marty nice to see someone else from around here building from scratch. Check out the alternative build section if you haven't already. It is a great forum isn't it. Are you using the better homes plan. That is where I started off. There are a few local suppliers. Don't forget insulation under the hearth and on top of the dome. Unless all you want is huge fire the a few pizzas.
    Rosemary

Leave a comment:

Working...
X