Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    The whole table is going to be refractory cement
    The "table" or slab only needs to be normal everyday concrete with insulation on top of it.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

So the 2' 2" distance from wall to oven doesn't cause anyone concern? (I hope)
      Hi lancer.

Love the setting and pictures and your idea for the oven.

I am no expert but 2 foot walls that sounds like over over
      kill to me.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

After a couple of days off for fiesta Sho is once again chipping holes for the posts. It was also fiesta in the city so the folks from the Sony repair shop closed up and went, so no camera yet.

Once the holes are chipped the post foundations and post metal bar set and the posts poured it will be time for the table on which the oven sits. The whole table is going to be refractory cement and 7" perlite under the brick.

The refractory cement mix, see what you guys think...

1 Portland cement
        1 red clay
        1 stucco mix (can't find lime)
        3 sand

Thoughts?
        That is going to be a very rich mix, and you will need more sand so it doesn't get shrink cracking as it dries.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Whats in the stucco mix?
        Usually modern stucco mix is portland based, with fine sand and polymers.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Hey guys

If its for the base of the oven eg. Hearth/table. Where are the stones? Lancer should you not be putting the oven on a reinforced concrete base.
          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Whats in the stucco mix?

Make your own lime, you told us they are shipping lime out just metres from your home.

Its dead simple to make, just dont splash it in your eyes......
            Burn the line in a fire then follow this vid. AKA slaking.

The fire drives out the carbon in the lime, when you reuse the slaked lime the lime adsorbes the carbon from the atmosphere and reconstitutes back into limestone, neat huh?
            I assumed lime was in the stucco but it didn't actually say on the bag.

Yes this was my original plan and I think I'll go back to it. Also because of your vids and others I found after viewing it I now know more about the process. :b:

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
              Gudday brickie
              That was triple scarey ... But a few goggles later I found a 40 sec u tube with two New Zealanders cooking thier lime in a 44 gal drum in the back blocks of "Whokilledamoocowe". The processs sounds scarey still but approached with a bit of knowledge and pre-planing should be do-able.
              Regards Dave
              Can you put a link to that vid please cobblerdave? Looked a bit but didn't find that one.

Comment

The "table" or slab only needs to be normal everyday concrete with insulation on top of it.
                Yeah I realize I'm being overly cautious...remember my insulation is lava rocks, not the best even though there's 7 inches of it under the brick.

Question brickie. I plan to have 5" of refractory cement over the brick of the dome, then 12" of perlite lava rocks then 5 more inches of refractory cement. In your opinion does this outer layer have to be refractory cement or can it be normal stuff? Edit: Its that last 5" on the outside that gets the metal bar, far from the fire and holding the whole structure together. On doing calculations there's no way I can bring the floor up to the midpoint of the onion. That means the walls will have to tip out and the inside of the dome will be a bit high. To compensate I think I'll not go 63% on the door height but maybe 50% to 55%, bring that heat down a ways.

Thoughts guys?
                Last edited by Lancer; 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                  Hi lancer.

Love the setting and pictures and your idea for the oven.

I am no expert but 2 foot walls that sounds like over over
                  kill to me.
                  Me too oasiscdm, but with perlite I have to add thickness to compensate for it not being the best insulator. I think I can handle 2' walls after thinking about it particularly as I haven't much choice.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                    That is going to be a very rich mix, and you will need more sand so it doesn't get shrink cracking as it dries.

Usually modern stucco mix is portland based, with fine sand and polymers.
                    Add more sand, say 4 parts? I have a pretty good sized diesel mixer...

Thanks for the warning on modern stucco mix stonecutter, I did not know that. So with this knowledge and what brickie said I'm going to fire my own limestone. :b:

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                      Hey guys

If its for the base of the oven eg. Hearth/table. Where are the stones? Lancer should you not be putting the oven on a reinforced concrete base.
                      My plan is to put the oven on refractory cement but sure it should be concrete of course, good point. I read somewhere that rounded river stones are good to use. What would you suggest oasiscdm?

Comment

Is that anywhere near Whykickamoocow?
                        Gudday
                        No the tough side of town closest to Kickatinalong...

Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Slaking Lime - YouTube
                          ► 0:40► 0:40
                          www.youtube.com/w...
                          Oct 29, 2007
                          Hopefully that's it

Regards dave
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Yes, I searched 'slaked lime' as you suggested and came up with some great vids, like this one. I now know all I need to about this process. :b: <--- I'm so used to a thumbs up that I just can't stop, sorry guys.

Lime Slake - YouTube

Thank you cobblerdave.

Comment

Question brickie. I plan to have 5" of refractory cement over the brick of the dome,
                              You will way too much thermal mass unless you have lots of wood to burn it will take ages to get hot, once hot it should stay there for a while.

then 12" of perlite lava rocks then 5 more inches of refractory cement. In your opinion does this outer layer have to be refractory cement or can it be normal stuff? Edit: Its that last 5" on the outside that gets the metal bar, far from the fire and holding the whole structure together. On doing calculations there's no way I can bring the floor up to the midpoint of the onion. That means the walls will have to tip out and the inside of the dome will be a bit high. To compensate I think I'll not go 63% on the door height but maybe 50% to 55%, bring that heat down a ways.

Thoughts guys?
                              At 50 or 55% the oven may not draw properly, its all about the draw.

Normal concrete outside of the insulation is fine.
                              Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

What do you suggest? I could just put a couple of inches over the brick, or something else... How thick is the refractory cement over your brick dome brickie?

Normal concrete. :b:

Comment

Working...
                                X