Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Thanks Greenman, that's good news. I'll toss a piece in the pool. Have to take the Rottweiler swimming anyway, he's not had much exercise in the last few.

Comment

Floats! :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
        Drill a series of holes, insert some dry sticks, add water, wait.
        The sticks will expand and crack the rocks.
        If the limestone is very dense this technique won't really work well....but not a bad suggestion, very early technique.

Lancer, I don't know if you can get Feathers and Wedges where you are, but you can make your own if need be....3/4" ( 19 mm?) re-bar or round steel stock for the wedges and steel shims (or round stock cut in half ) for the feathers will work. Here is a sequence using F/W splitting some granite I used for chimney cap supports....

Click image for larger version

Name:	splitting1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	295234

Name:	splitting 2.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	295235

Name:	splitting3.jpg
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	295236

Name:	spiltting4.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	295237

Name:	splitting7.jpg
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	295238

Name:	splitting9.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	295239

F/W work on the same principle as the method Brickie described, but the shear forces are much,much greater. I split stone with them regularly and describe how on my blog...pm me if you want the link. It is still employed by stone quarries around the world..and it's a blast to do too.
        Last edited by stonecutter; 06-06-2013, 04:55 AM.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

always learning something new.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Yes, such stuff would be next to impossible to find here. Been thinking about the process of making lime from limestone and the answer may be there. If I dig a hole under the limestone stone and set a fire under it and let it burn for a while, then simply by pouring water on it might make the thing fall apart. From what I've read it might just come apart practically explosively. The smaller chunks could then be heated better when we fire the bricks, then slaked.

Stonecutter, thanks for the info. My uncle built a house on a hill in Switzerland and told me a story. There was a huge boulder just in the middle of the property and various people tried this and that and could not break it up. So they brought in this old Italian stone mason who inspected the entire stone, drove a wedge or two and whacked it hard once and the thing fell to pieces.

Comment

I discovered recently that there is a rock splitting chemical available. You mix up the chemical just like you would mortar and pour it into a series of holes drilled in the rock. It expands over several hours and cracks the rock.

Here is an example Expando Non Explosive Rock Breaking , but there are lots of them available.

I wish I knew about this a few years ago - it would have been useful on my build.
              Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Another is called Dexpan. I didn't suggest chemicals because they might be hard to get. But dex would bust up that stone...check out the videos on YouTube
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Wonderful stuff. I'm sure anything that useful would never be found here.

Comment

Probably because labor is Pennies on the dollar compared to the cost of the material.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Valid point. :b:

Comment

So inset into the big round table I'm going to set 7" thick of pumice all refractory mortared together and on top of that somewhat uneven surface I'll put a coating of refractory mortar which the floor bricks will set on, yes? The dome bricks could also set on the pumice/mortar too and that would improve insulation, right?

Have to make sure the pumice is well mortared together and all mortared to the table. Thoughts?

Comment

If you are
                          Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                          So inset into the big round table
                          which I take it to mean that you have a depression in the concrete slab to take the pumice, then I wouldnt make the pumice into a concrete as you will lose the insulating properties.
                          I would just put it in there loose but tightly packed then smooth the top off with mortar.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Will do Brickie. Question is, with the pumice loose packed will it provide a strong base for the dome bricks? Alternately I could end the depression under the dome (start the concrete lip there) but then I lose insulation, yes? Perhaps I'll just mortar the pumice together under the dome.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                              Question is, with the pumice loose packed will it provide a strong base for the dome bricks?
                              Cant see why not, its not likely its going to move around under the oven.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You obviously don't live in the ring of fire.

Comment

Working...
                                X