Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
    Progress pics...

The metal bar is far from the heat.
    You will have to explain the bars as they dont make any sense sorry.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

In the posts and concrete table there is metal bar. In the plan there is 8" of pumice between the fire brick and the table. I was going to make the table refractory but got talked out of it because it shouldn't get hot. Well, any time we pour cement here there's bar in it. Poured floors sitting on the ground get bar, the sides and floor of the pool got bar... There's 12" of pumice between the fire brick and outer dome wall which will form the onion shape. That too gets bar as it won't get hot either.

Comment

Gary can't figure out how to eat the oven.
        But, I bet he figures out how to get some bits that come out of it...
        Chip

Comment

He may collect a goodies toll for us to use the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            You will have to explain the bars as they dont make any sense sorry.
            To further explain the bar on the sides, the floor is 5" thick. Above that is an 8" wall around the circumference, so 14" sides to this point, more added later to form the onion dome. Within the wall will be 8" of pumice insulation. The oven occurs above that.

Comment

OK, makes sense now, I just couldnt work out the basket shaped reo?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That's good.

Have a plan to leave a 1" center hole in the table to drain the "basket" during construction or anytime it gets wet. There will be a slight incline up from the hole to the circumference wall in all directions. It will be covered by pumice but water could pass under it or through it over time. I don't guess that water under the pumice will be the end of the world. In fact I consider the 8" of base insulation and 12+ inches on the sides to be a great feature for clearing water away from the center of the oven. This should shed water no problem, allowing for an earlier restart of high temps. Less water to slowly cook out of the system. Right?

Last edited by Lancer; 07-06-2013, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Less water to slowly cook out of the system. Right?
                  Yes and no.
                  Im guessing its humid where you live, so just the atmospheric moisture alone will get into the oven, if its say 60% humidity then the oven will be damp, warm damp, so you wont feel it with your hand.

The drain hole is a good idea and one that every oven should incorporate.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Yes but the salt air will add flavor.

Going to add "Sahara cement" to the outside 5" of concrete and either find or have made a decorative chimney cap which sheds water. Going to try to avoid putting this (hopefully) beautiful onion dome under a roof.

I figure after I put out a good idea might as well ruin whatever rep I gained from it. :doh:

Comment

Going to try to avoid putting this (hopefully) beautiful onion dome under a roof.
                      Built correctly and painted with acrylic paint it shouldnt need a roof.
                      I would however devise a way to keep the weather out of the oven opening, either orientate the oven correctly of have some sort of weather proofing either permanent or temporary in place.

Where did you lose cred?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Good idea!

Comment

Here's an Irish "Cob oven". When they form the decorations on the front they make some pattern that pleases them. I could do something like with sand and cement and make a pattern that sheds water to the sides and covers the floor a bit.

How to make a cob oven or clay oven Part three - YouTube

Comment

The first oven they show in the "cob oven" vid looks remarably like a refractory cement cast dome.
                            Its on youtube, it must be true....?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Lets see, straw, clay, yeah, its a wfo! Btw the igloos Eskimos make also qualify.
                              Last edited by Lancer; 07-07-2013, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Floor is poured and next is the 8" walls. Ordered 300 brick, don't know how many I'll actually need. Planning a cooking area with multiple brick rocket stoves so I'll likely order 200 more in the coming days. At 23 cents a piece its doable. Also ordered 10 (cement bag sized) bags of clay and 4 of silicate. Likely I'll get more silicate to glue the rocket stoves together.

Comment

Working...
                                X