Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

I should have asked what the dome is being built of?
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Chocolate icing.

Bricks! Red clay fire bricks. Then the onion on the outside of the 12" pumice is made of concrete.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
        Chocolate icing.

Bricks! Red clay fire bricks. Then the onion on the outside of the 12" pumice is made of concrete.
        Haha, I meant the onion....
        Cant you make the onion out of brick?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          You will way too much thermal mass unless you have lots of wood to burn it will take ages to get hot, once hot it should stay there for a while.

At 50 or 55% the oven may not draw properly, its all about the draw.

Normal concrete outside of the insulation is fine.
          Well, I had planned refractory concrete but...

I figure the concrete with metal bar will be stronger than "unreinforced masonry" fire bricks and better able to withstand earthquakes and typhoons over the generations I hope this monster is making pizzas.

Comment

I figure the concrete with metal bar will be stronger than "unreinforced masonry" fire bricks and better able to withstand earthquakes and typhoons over the generations I hope this monster is making pizzas.
            True....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Knowing you I know you were asking about building it out of brick for a very good reason?

Comment

Gudday lancer
                I suppose you tend to have a bit of a pic in your mind of what something will look like. I kinda see you oven dome being tiled ... I suppose like the picture. It would be more easily tiled the say a 30 in oven would be. The curves on the surface is not as great suiting smoother tiled surface without having to go to really small tiles. An example that comes to mind is Gulfs oven. Yes he has used thin cut brick but they tiles none the less. They are the size of brick ends but follow the curve neatly and smoothly. Mine are 1/2 brick thickness and follow a tighter curve. I didn't want a smooth surface at all but a more rougher more look to accent the different colours and texture of the brick I used. I would thing something smoother would suit the style of your building better as it would enhance the curve of the "onion" were something like mine would not suit the tight lines and curves of your home.
                As for brick V concrete in a earthquake area I don't have the faintest idea which is more suitable.
                Anyway just some thoughts .... Hope something here brings some ideas for you to think on
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

It may be tiled in the long run Dave, and that was my initial plan, a mosaic. Now I'm not sure, maybe not the yellow as in the Portuguese onion dome pictured above but the colors of the Taj Mahal, a mix of off white and a very light grey. Or a mosaic. :dunno: Anyway, its down the line and I think I'll get a better sense of what will work when the dome is done.

An Aussie doing some beautiful mosaic work...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27gMB-Ioir0

As for bricks vs concrete, I was going with concrete but want to hear Brickie's idea as to making it out of brick. He usually has some fantastic idea which I never even imagined so I'll hold off deciding until then.

Comment

was going with concrete but want to hear Brickie's idea as to making it out of brick.
                    Concrete is the way to go, I forgot about cyclones and earthquakes....
                    I live in such a calm region that we only get the occasional heavy wind and not much else so I tend to forget about all the hazards.

If you go concrete you could cast a flue inside the onion skin at the same time, youll have to use refractory concrete as normal concrete will just spall off with the heat over time.
                    Last edited by brickie in oz; 08-03-2013, 10:01 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Sounds good Brickie. Yeah if you guys never hear from me again then its likely the Philippines plate subducted under some other plate.

So what's you guys thoughts, can I build regular concrete up to the top and then switch to refractory when it gets closer to the chimney?

Even better, maybe I can set fire brick into the regular concrete and touch up against the fire brick of the chimney with that? Glue it in with silicate...
                      Last edited by Lancer; 08-03-2013, 10:50 PM.

Comment

The refractory needs to be where most of the heat is, down low, although there is still a fair bit of heat that will come out of the top.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Sounds much simpler now than 3 flues and all the associated hassle. Good suggestion Allan.
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Yes, its a simplification and time saver. Brickie has my gratitude and definitely earned a beer or three if I ever get to meet him. :cheers:

Comment

I wonder how I messed this up?
                              Last edited by Lancer; 08-07-2013, 09:49 PM.

Comment

The time while we're waiting for the bricks is being put to good use, enjoying the scenery. I'm usually not so shaky on the camera, must have been an earthquake or something.

"Abby, how old are you?"

Last edited by Lancer; 08-07-2013, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X