Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Gudday
    Good to here from you again.
    I have some friends in New Zealand from Wellington and they recon the aftershocks are worse than the big one as it keeps you on edge all the time.
    How about some pics of the lime cooker in action that would be interesting.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Will do! The plan is to move along on the oven now. We have the limestone for making quicklime, the pumice, the bricks, the silicate, the red clay, the portland...and lastly 3 cubics of sand is on order. What am I forgetting? Metal bar for the onion, but that's no problem getting. Anything else?

Until then here's some pics of our first adventure after the 7.2, a trip to Tagbilaran. All back ways now through the hills due to bridges out.

Pass a fair amount of stuff that is damaged.

Got jungle?

Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013, 10:01 PM.

Comment

A tad rough and some spots not overly graded.

Some spots were quite nice.

Rice

Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013, 10:02 PM.

Comment

This fell. When one looks at broken posts it usually becomes evident why they broke. Sometimes there is no metal bar, other times its the thin bar normally used in block walls and a much thicker bar is called for.

I look not only at the destruction but at the amount of work and danger that will go into the removal. People don't just have to rebuild...they have to take apart and remove.

Don't know what this was. Observation tower? Lots of weight up high. That's something I was very conscious of in my buildings.

Comment

Lightweight, traditional buildings fared very well.

If this guy fell off he got right back on.

ICM Mall in Tag

Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Ran into an old gf and her new bf. They seem good together. When I dated her she had hair.

Christmas time is coming, the Malls are getting ready, the kids are definitely ready.

No, you're supposed to eat that. :facepalm:

Comment

Driving around Tag one sees destruction here and there. Each one a story no doubt, the Malls could be fixed, I saw no post or tie beam damage in the areas we were allowed. The third floor of ICM department store is one, they have most of the stuff on the 1st floor hallway and a guard on the escalator making sure nobody goes up. Places like this...did people live there? Do they have the means to repair?

On the way out of town we spotted this. Not a lot of damage until one takes a good look and then its everywhere.

One cute thing, there are lots of kids directing traffic with signs and waving colored flags for no discernible reason. Most seem to have no purpose but in another case there is a kids network. We saw one sign that said STOP in a kid's hands who was frantic to get our attention so we stopped. Along comes a big truck on a narrow blind curve. Had we gone things would have been too tight.

That's it! Something a bit more on topic coming soon.
                Last edited by Lancer; 11-03-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Took a bunch of pics of the lime kiln construction which I'll add in when everything is done. That way there's only one pic upload which I'm ashamed to admit the wife helps me with. I have the tech skills of a pebble.

So the platform with beach gravel was in last week. Today Sho and I set the bricks on it. There's a place underneath for air to enter the kiln, which is in the shape of a chimney, made of the bricks. The air enters from below and will feed oxygen through a steel grate on which will sit 14" of coconut coal. The grate is about an inch thick so the bricks which support it had to be buried an inch deeper. With that done we could build up the bricks on the side and then across the gate while keeping all level, forming a rectangular trough. Above the grate is the first burn chamber which is 14" deep and that's where the first coconut coal will be packed. That's how high the bricks are now, and when I took the pics to come. When we pack in the coco coal then we'll raise the chimney and add 14" of limestone. Then 6" of coco coal and 12" limestone, and then 6" cc and 12" lime. At that point we'll be 70" high. Now we'll wrap it in tie wire and pack red clay into any large cracks between the bricks. Then we'll light a fire under it and tend it through the night. When it cools we hope to have the first batch of quicklime. Tomorrow is off, there's a typhoon coming. Might last out the week.

That said, this is the current project. When the rain goes we'll be back at it. No more great epochs of time between info in this thread.

Pics to come.
                  Last edited by Lancer; 11-05-2013, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Gudday Lancer
                    You have probably not got communications as I write this,but everyone around the world must be thinking about that massive storm that hitting the Philippines.
                    Typhoon Loanda is the biggest typhoon recorded with winds of 195 miles a hour.
                    Gusts of 235 miles an hour. I really pray that you and yours are in a safe place.
                    They are saying that it is fast moving so I'm hoping it does move away quickly for your sake and the rest of the Philippines.
                    Your in our thoughts
                    Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

Hey Lancer

This looks like a super storm and I hope you and yours as well as the rest of the community cope well with this one. Just saw the prediction map for where it is heading and looks like Vietnam is in the track as well.

All the best in this difficult time and I hope your faith sustains you.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Hi Lancer

I agree with the others I saw the typhoon on the news tonight. I pray that you and your family all remain safe and the same to all those experiencing this devastating storm.
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Lancer,

Our thoughts are with you from the other side of the world. I looked at the storm track and saw the Bohol was not in the direct path of the typhoon. Let's us know you are okay.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for your prayers and thoughts guys. Bohol missed the worst of it, particularly south Bohol. North Bohol where the quake hit got worse than we did once again. Leyte was hard hit and that's where our power comes from in the form of geothermal. So all the steel towers were knocked out plus some other damage. Been over two weeks with no flow of electrons.

Had an emergency solar generator set and a 1200w 12v-110v inverter so I set that up. It ran a TV and DVD player and a 12v fan so the kids could watch Barney. Am in the process of wiring a couple 12v pumps I had stored against the day when the catamaran project was building. Even now that there's power I want to see what those little pumps can do. The water tank for this building is maybe 30' up. The pumps develop 80 lbs of pressure... :dunno:

I've heard that the power will be shifted around from place to place because there isn't enough to go around, and that this is our turn, but we'll see.

Thanks again guys!

Comment

Good to hear from you again, many of us were worried about you.
                              Chip

Comment

Gudday
                                That would be the best news, great to hear your OK
                                Regards dave
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once

My Build
                                My Door

Comment

Working...
                                X