Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Lancer's Philippine Build, Close to Australia Anyhoo...

Hey Lancer

I would be cleaning off all that mortar off in the inside of the oven, unless of course you like mortar in your food, I had very little mortar on the inside of mine but what there was isn't there anymore. Easier to do out as you go than once cured and the oven getting higher.

I know it's to late but based on smoke flow I would have gone deeper than 4" on the vent opening. I knocked mine down and made mine 9" flared, Gianni and I did ours pretty much the same time discussing this a fair bit. At 4" fits not give the smoke enough depth to exit. So far I have no smoke stains on the front arch whatsoever so it draws telly well.

Looking good though .
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-05-2014, 03:43 PM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
      I know it's to late but based on smoke flow I would have gone deeper than 4" on the vent opening. I knocked mine down and made mine 9" flared, Gianni and I did ours pretty much the same time discussing this a fair bit. At 4" fits not give the smoke enough depth to exit. So far I have no smoke stains on the front arch whatsoever so it draws telly well.

Looking good though .
      But the throat is 16" wide.....I think he will be just fine with that 4"x16" opening.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Hey Lancer

I would be cleaning off all that mortar off in the inside of the oven, unless of course you like mortar in your food, I had very little mortar on the inside of mine but what there was isn't there anymore. Easier to do out as you go than once cured and the oven getting higher.

Looking good though .
        I bought a wire brush for the drill yesterday and plan on using it tomorrow to catch up on the mess.

I still have an option regarding the chimney. Remember there are 3 arches so there could be (2) 4" by 16" entrances. That means the center arch would be within the chimney.

Think I should do this oasis? It would double the size.

stonecutter, is there any downside to a chimney if its too large?

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
          I bought a wire brush for the drill yesterday and plan on using it tomorrow to catch up on the mess.

I still have an option regarding the chimney. Remember there are 3 arches so there could be (2) 4" by 16" entrances. That means the center arch would be within the chimney.

Think I should do this oasis? It would double the size.

stonecutter, is there any downside to a chimney if its too large?
          What size flue are you thinking?
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I was thinking an 8x8 flue but its built straight up off the top of the dome, could be 12x12.

Comment

Not even close to oversized. Good to go.

Edit: Is your diameter 54"? If so, 12x12 would be what I would use.
              Last edited by stonecutter; 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

So Stone, if I understand you're saying go with the double 4"x16" openings into the chimney and a 12" flue. I can do that easily at this stage.

Everyone agree that's the way to go?

Sho's out there working, I'm heading out to keep him company and think this over.

Comment

Lancer

I'm glad I didn't stick to 4" vent depth and widened it. Smoke goes straight up the flue if fire is reasonable in the beginning.

I see the issue being lighting the fire in the front entry [to get it going] the smoke tends to flow very quickly so with only 4" depth [regardless of width] you will struggle until fire is well established.

If the smoke passes the vent its only option is out the FRONT.

that's why I spent so much time meticulously tapering my vent from rectangle to the 8" round flue so provide a smooth flow. I burnt some wood and paper the other night not realising it was wet and the smoke was more than normal but still went up the flue. With 4" depth I doubt this will happen.

Too get an idea check Octoforno or my build thread to see how we accomplished our vents

I would hate to see the onion dome with smoke stains out front.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

That is quite a nice chimney Oasis! The way the entrance is built if I was smoke I'd want to go up it.

Been thinking about the arch in the center of the chimney and though its in the way its not all bad. I could take a piece of newspaper and reach up and set in on the arch and fire it. That heat would have to go up, starting the draw. Then I light up the wood below it in the entrance and hope it follows the lead.

Thank you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                      Not even close to oversized. Good to go.

Edit: Is your diameter 54"? If so, 12x12 would be what I would use.
                      Yes Stone, 54" and I'll take your good advice, thanks again.

Comment

Just put in an order for 200 additional brick. Whatever is left over will go into the rocket stoves.

Likely we'll run out in a week or so. At that point while waiting for the brick we'll start on the onion. Figure I'll take one sheet of plywood and using a compressed black plastic flexible plumbing pipe create an arc matching the bulbous side of the onion. Then we'll mark that on the ply, cut it out. On the concrete table the oven sits on will make a line all the way about using a clear water filled hose so it will be perfectly level. Then we build a frame and raise the plywood up and mark a line on it matching the line on the table. Then we attach a tube level to the plywood and level the ply to the line on the table. Now we just work our way around forming metal bar into the shape cut out on the plywood. The plywood will be mobile, matched to the line on the table, and always re-leveled perfectly. When the metal bar is all done, basically a large onion shaped cage, we start adding concrete, right on up. When we get to the top of the cut out we figure the rest of the return towards the chimney. Before we get there we'll pour the perlite refractory insulation into the void. Early on I figured 12" of loose perlite but I was wrong. There will be 16" of loose perlite all around, and 9" of perlite/pumice under.

So...

Fire/brick/16" perlite/onion with metal bar which will be wrapped in tape and paper. Perhaps that stuff will burn away but the slight empty space around the bar will still be there. So, if the heat gets through 16" of insulation it still can't expand the bar enough to crack the concrete. I kinda doubt it will ever get that hot though, what do you guys think?

In the concrete mix of the onion I'm considering leaning mostly on portland though there will still be some clay and lime just in case, any ideas on this?

Edit: Just found this...

http://www.perlite.org/library-perli...insulation.pdf

It shows that 4" of loose filled perlite has an R factor of 12.5! So, multiply that by 4 and that 16" void will provide a non-conductive R factor of...F I F T Y :lol: I could heat this thing with a match. I'm so happy I could dance a jig my amigos! That is extraordinarily good news. It means fuel savings and as you guys know holding high temps is a must. I could dance a jig.

Last edited by Lancer; 03-06-2014, 05:40 AM. Reason: I could dance a jig!

Comment

Sounds like a workable plan. Are you using flexible flue pipe, have seen that some where recently
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Nah Oasis, am using brick as I imagine Brickie would. He suggested this idea back some pages and it just made sense, lots of it too. So, basically I'm building the flue out of brick.

Today we ran out of brick, yesterday we ordered 200 more. So, Monday we shift over to the onion though that might take a day or three to get up to speed. Basically the potter who makes the brick has to go out to the red clay deposit by the river and dig it out. Meanwhile the guy who digs out silicate etc will get that. They mix whatever potters mix and set it in forms to make bricks which they then dry in the sun. When the bricks are dry they bake them underground in the potter's kiln.

Might be a while.
                            Last edited by Lancer; 03-07-2014, 07:05 AM.

Comment

The waiting would about me. E.g. waiting for I weeks for the bullnose bricks the same as my house bricks once I didn't about 2 weeks sourcing them. And due to me occupation was driving past the yard they were being stored every day as I preached to clients. Most frustrating. Sometimes I would stop, and could almost reach then through the fence. When he they finally got delivered to the owners yard the guy bought the wrong ones he bought the double bullnose, strengthening.. then the owner asked me to meet the guy at the storage yard the one I drive pat every day. Double arrrrgggghhhhh.

All up started that quest about 8th January got the bricks a couple of weeks back.

At least yours have to be made......
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

At least yours have to be made......
                                That's the thing amigo. First the stuff has to be dug out. Then it has to be formed in molds, then put out of the molds in the sun. The sun then dries the brick and they are moved to the kiln and fired. This whole process takes time, maybe a month. Its the drying in the sun that is the long bit. Sometimes the sun isn't out much. However this is the dry season, the sun is shining day in day out and I''m hoping for a couple hundred bricks within a month, but we'll just wait for the call.

Comment

Working...
                                X