Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house brick for stand, quick quetsion

hi everyone, love the site and forums.

started work on my oven (105cm internal)
    have my stand up with use of left over bricks from my new house
    and considering the wet and cold weather I was wondering how long should I wait to put slab on top?

stand was build 5 days ago but mortar is still visibly darkish other then top few levels thanks to shocking weather.
    Last edited by CrocAu; 06-08-2013, 01:20 AM.

Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

CrocAu think I did mine 2weeks later.

Are you putting in a steel lintel across the front?
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

thanks for your reply
      2 weeks doesn't sound too bad, what weather was that in?
      I will start working on my frame before I get concrete truck here and considering I never done it before I guess it could take me few days.

and yes there is steel lintel in place over the opening, got that extra timber support while all is still fresh to avoid any flex

if anyone got some extra tips for winter melbourne build I would love to hear it

Comment

Nice looking brick base, great start. I forget it is winter in your end of the world.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
          Nice looking brick base, great start. I forget it is winter in your end of the world.
          Winter in Adelaide and Melbourne is not quite like winter in Utah.

Prediction for June in Melbourne
          http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/mel...-weather/26216

Chip
          Last edited by mrchipster; 05-24-2013, 08:05 AM.
          Chip

Comment

thanks UtahBeehiver, speaking of nice I just had a look at your photo progress and wow, very nice job. I wanted corner design originally as well but after adding up dimensions I figured there is no way I could do it in spot I have for my oven but I'm quite happy now how it worked out, oven door will be out of the way now.

Comment

G'day Croc. Good bit of brickwork.

Just going to pay attention to your build. I'm going to build also in brick, got 4 pallets of bricks left over from our house build so what better use than an outdoor BBQ & WFO.

Saw you attachment in the first post, going to copy that if you don't mind, and add about a metre and a half for the BBQ and servery thingy.

Yeah, I'm too in Melbourne so the weather may be bit of an issue due to working in the mines in WA and getting home to build.

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                Winter in Adelaide and Melbourne is not quite like winter in Utah.
                Tops of only 13c......what!!
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
                  I was wondering how long should I wait to put slab on top?

The next day after building would have been fine.
                  Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-24-2013, 11:57 PM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    Th next day after building would have been fine.
                    i'm bit worry about frost bite, especially since last section was done with quite wet mortar, is there anyway to tell if mortar was affected?

also is it normal my bottom levels still show a lot of dark colour in mortar? so far it seem top two levels starting to brighten up while rest is showing dark as if there is still fair bit of water left inside, I hope colour evens out because it looks messy with different shades of grey right now
                    Last edited by CrocAu; 05-24-2013, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reccymech View Post
                      G'day Croc. Good bit of brickwork.

Just going to pay attention to your build. I'm going to build also in brick, got 4 pallets of bricks left over from our house build so what better use than an outdoor BBQ & WFO.

Saw you attachment in the first post, going to copy that if you don't mind, and add about a metre and a half for the BBQ and servery thingy.

Yeah, I'm too in Melbourne so the weather may be bit of an issue due to working in the mines in WA and getting home to build.
                      copy all you want
                      I was going originally have BBQ section but run out of room and I figure I can BBQ inside of my oven if I want something bigger and for everything else I got weber Q320 on my deck upstairs.
                      as for servery thingy you can't see on the picture much but on the left side I have extra bench build up with bricks (one level higher to compensate for slab) and I got left over from my kitchen granite bench to go on top of that.
                      it is going to be about 1200mm long, perfect for preparation, etc.. I will do better picture next time to show it

Comment

i'm bit worry about frost bite, is there anyway to tell if mortar was affected?

also is it normal my bottom levels still show a lot of dark colour in mortar? so far it seem top two levels starting to brighten up while rest is showing dark as if there is still fair bit of water left inside, I hope colour evens out because it looks messy with different shades of grey right now
                        Frost bite, in Australia? can you see any penguins, no, then it will be alright.

The different colours are due to dampness.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

i'm bit worry about frost bite, is there anyway to tell if mortar was affected?

How was your mortar batch? Consistent? That could be a reason for the uneven shades. Although, the brick letterbox I'm doing at the moment the ratio of cement/lime/sand wouldn't be exactly 'spot-on' and has dried consistent.

Comment

Originally posted by reccymech View Post
                            How was your mortar batch? Consistent? That could be a reason for the uneven shades. Although, the brick letterbox I'm doing at the moment the ratio of cement/lime/sand wouldn't be exactly 'spot-on' and has dried consistent.
                            mix was consistent, (measured with bucket not shovels) but couple of batches were little wetter then others but same sand/cement/lime ratio all the way from top to bottom

Comment

You can have wild swings in ratios and it will still all basically look the same as long as you have the same type of cement and same coloured sand.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                              X