house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Fire brick are hardly ever perfect..I'm not surprised you had lippage that you had to grind.

To answer your question...no it doesn't matter if there is a chip here and there. Look at the all the old community ovens still in use and you will see a beat up floor. It adds character and doesn't effect the performance at all.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

for anyone that cares, my progress so far
        been moving quite slow, had few bad days and staying in bed till quite late but sooner or later i will get there

Comment

since here posting again got quick little question, when i get close to finishing top of the dome i was thinking of doing large batch of castable as keystone, i really like this idea but would like to hear from people especially if it is bad idea. TIA

Comment

due to work i'm moving quite slow as there is very little time left in a day, should i rush it bit more? is there any problems with taking so long to finish dome?

still would love to hear some tips on castable usage for keystone, i seen some comment about the need to build permanent steam channel if i do use castable? is this right if so how would i go about it?

Comment

Looking good. No need to rush, the oven will not fall apart because you go at it slowly.

Hint, you will need to buttress that arch.
              Chip

Comment

I haven't seen any domes that use castable for the plug. I've seen it used for flues, but not in combo with brick for the dome. If you did use it for the plug, you would not need a steam channel. I suspect you are thinking about the release plugs that Gulf and Russell used with their insulating vermicrete layers. The castable should cure without the need for a steam channel. It would be open to your oven on the inside...

Personally, I would stick with a single material for the dome - just to feel like I am not taking risks with differing thermal expansion.
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                  Looking good. No need to rush, the oven will not fall apart because you go at it slowly.

so i keep on going slow then
                  done another course today just managed to clean up and cover before rain showed up

can you please put more light on what and where need that buttress, i'm new to brickwork so that is first time i hear that word and quick search gave multiple options so i'm confused now

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                    I haven't seen any domes that use castable for the plug. I've seen it used for flues, but not in combo with brick for the dome. If you did use it for the plug, you would not need a steam channel. I suspect you are thinking about the release plugs that Gulf and Russell used with their insulating vermicrete layers. The castable should cure without the need for a steam channel. It would be open to your oven on the inside...

Personally, I would stick with a single material for the dome - just to feel like I am not taking risks with differing thermal expansion.
                    i see how i go with cutting the keystone, if i do good job i will use it as normal but if i cut it on small side with largish gaps still left then i might use castable instead of mortart for that section this way i don't have huge castable keystone

thanks guys for posting, i'm quite confident with things but i always worry i'm doing something wrong way so i like to double check here

Comment

• Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post

Owwwh yeah, that arch will just push those supports out of the way as it flattens.
                      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                        Owwwh yeah, that arch will just push those supports out of the way as it flattens.
                        front arch supports are interlocked with the rear arch supports, there is couple of bricks that cut on angle and cross over to the other one
                        also flu gallery is extends past the outer arch bricks so i hope there isn't a lot of force sideways?

i attached pic of what finished it will look hope i don't have to be freaking out :O

Comment

You will be good if its all tied in.
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

just small update for anyone that cares to see my boring photos
                            any issues or all is looking ok?

one more day of good weather and dome will be done

Comment

Looks anything but boring to me. You are well on the way and it is looking good. You have plans to buttress the front?
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Never say photo's of pizza ovens are boring. Nice job you have done be proud to show everyone. Wish I could get mine finished that quick. Now its raining been that way all day.
                                Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Working...
                                X