Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: house brick for stand, quick quetsion

thanks for the feedback guys
    i don't know how but i managed to get up early today and get it all brickwork finished before it started raining, less than hour after i finished rain rocked up so lucky me

Comment

Croc

Shit that's how I can finish it quicker GET UP EARLY. hmmmmmm

It was raining when I got up but I did stay up watching the Cricket.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

had great weather but done nothing today....
        don't you hate when work gets in the way of serious business

Comment

for final step i'm going to put Perlite mix insulation but i think i would like to cover that with some sort of water proof render or paint? any recommendations for melbourne weather? best if some choice of colours was possible

Comment

Any acrylic exterior paint will be waterproof.
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hey Brickie,

I used this on my last oven but found there can be issues with it bubbling when you get moisture under the dome, invariably you get some.
              What about something purpose specific, eg. An acrylic render coating that has some permeability?
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                that has some permeability?
                If it can let it out it can also let it in.

I used an acrylic paint on my first oven which sat outside in the weather and didnt see any probs.

My current oven has a roof on it and it sits underneath a roof too, kind of like belts and braces to keep your pants up.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
                  Hey Brickie,

I used this on my last oven but found there can be issues with it bubbling when you get moisture under the dome, invariably you get some.
                  What about something purpose specific, eg. An acrylic render coating that has some permeability?
                  The trick to avoid moisture bubbles under the waterproof coating is to eliminate all the water first. This means about 10 decent cooking fires after the outer shell is complete.If you have these moisture bubbles then sand them off, fire the oven until all the moisture has been driven off (throw some plastic sheeting over the oven to check for moisture condensing under it) then when dry recoat.
                  Last edited by david s; 07-16-2013, 01:23 AM.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                    The trick to avoid moisture bubbles under the waterproof coating is to eliminate all the water first. This means about 10 decent cooking fires after the outer shell is complete.If you have these moisture bubbles then sand them off, fire the oven until all the moisture has been driven off (throw some plastic sheeting over the oven to check for moisture condensing under it) then when dry recoat.
                    Hi

I get the idea of throwing plastic sheet over to check condensation, coming out of the oven when curing [had discussion with Doug about doing this]. I am assuming you only leave it there until ?????????? But I have found if you cover the oven with plastic sheet [no curing fire] as I did and sun gets on it, it will create condensation. That was happening to me when initially I was covering my oven with plastic sheet. It created moisture below it where I didn't want it [soaked into the calsil].

So I guess fire it up check for condensation remove it at some point.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                      Hi

I get the idea of throwing plastic sheet over to check condensation, coming out of the oven when curing [had discussion with Doug about doing this]. I am assuming you only leave it there until ?????????? But I have found if you cover the oven with plastic sheet [no curing fire] as I did and sun gets on it, it will create condensation. That was happening to me when initially I was covering my oven with plastic sheet. It created moisture below it where I didn't want it [soaked into the calsil].

So I guess fire it up check for condensation remove it at some point.
                      Yes, only use it to test if moisture is there, otherwise remove it so the moisture can escape to the atmosphere.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
                        for final step i'm going to put Perlite mix insulation but i think i would like to cover that with some sort of water proof render or paint? any recommendations for melbourne weather? best if some choice of colours was possible
                        I used Dulux Acratex. It has the advantage of texture that helps cover minor imperfections. Otherwise I guess the outdoor acrylic paint will cut it.
                        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

some great ideas to consider, thanks guys
                          this is my current stage, only 4 bricks to go at the landing and then insulation job and i'm DONE

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                            Yes, only use it to test if moisture is there, otherwise remove it so the moisture can escape to the atmosphere.

Thanks David cleared it up. Ta
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

front is now finished
                              i also installed 2 layers of ceramic blanket and wired it around with chicken mesh or whatever you call it, should put some extra wire to hold the blanket really firm?

Comment

Assuming that you are going to put a vermicrete layer over it and then stucco/render I wouldn't worry about it. The vermicrete will be the start of the shell and the outer layer will complete the shell. Incorporating a vent to allow any moisture that is trapped between the dome and the outer layers is a good idea.

Close to flame!
                                Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Working...
                                X