Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New pre-cut kit build in Adelaide

Originally posted by benguilford View Post
    .... Or if you get really carried away, you could bring the whole slab level up around the oven to your floor height... (a lot of extra work but MAN it looks good)
    I agree it looks great. In the scheme of things it's really not that much extra work - maybe a day to form up and pour a bit more concrete is all.
    Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

Hmm lifting slab to floor height food for thought. aesthetically it looks better. Not sure how it would go on mine outer arch comes all the way to the front, but might ponder that one.
      But does look very neat and pleasing to the eye.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-08-2013, 09:26 PM.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by benguilford View Post
        you could bring the whole slab level up around the oven to your floor height... (a lot of extra work but MAN it looks good)
        You will find the oven a whole lot easier to work with the hearth and surrounds at the same level, sliding hot pans of food around for one thing is a breeze rather than a major head ache.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

few quick tips off my head, i will post them without any organized order just as i remember them as i follow your progress

when you cure oven for first few days while doing small fires do NOT put install your chimney and do not put door in place after you done curing.
          condensation from the first fires in wet oven make quite the mess at the entrance from the door and chimney is not getting hot enough to burn off or whatever it happens to the black tar so it ends up dripping on your flute gallery

Comment

Thanks Croc
            I have sub you build and following the cracking issues so I might hit you up for suggestions when I get to the pouring of slab.
            Liteceeper
            ~~~~~~~
            My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
            My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Do slab as flat and level as you can so you won't have to mortar calsil boards down as that makes them suck in lots of water. To avoids cracks keep going small and then medium fires for long enough to see more even temperatures between walls and dome. And monitor underside of your slab, if this gets over 40c don't progress to bigger fires over many hours at the time just back off it isn't ready yet, put the door on and start again next day.
              My cracks are due to too hot too soon, if I knew what I know today I would not have structural slab cracks
              Last edited by CrocAu; 08-09-2013, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Hey Croc

How soon did you start building the oven from when you layed the hearth slab? Did you give it anytime to cure.

I left my base slab sit for nearly a month before I started constructing anything on it. I watered it and kept it wet for about 2 weeks.

I wont have the problem with hearth slab as I used Hebel Panel [well supported] for my hearth slab. Added benefit that it is also insulating.

I haven't heard of anyone else having structural slab cracks previously finding it strange.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

If you look around it did happen before, one of threads had same signs as in wet insulation under floor and underside of slab getting quite warm.
                  I can't remember if I mention but during last fire water forced out and made wet patch where the cracks are.
                  Slab itself must be very strong as it didn't let the cracks travel all the way across, maybe even extra rebar around outer edges could stop it, who knows but too late for me
                  All cracks close up a lot after temperature drops so I feel very confident that it is cosmetic issue only, if whole thing had serious problem there is no way it would pull itself back like this

Comment

Originally posted by CrocAu View Post
                    If you look around it did happen before, one of threads had same signs as in wet insulation under floor and underside of slab getting quite warm.
                    I can't remember if I mention but during last fire water forced out and made wet patch where the cracks are.
                    Slab itself must be very strong as it didn't let the cracks travel all the way across, maybe even extra rebar around outer edges could stop it, who knows but too late for me
                    All cracks close up a lot after temperature drops so I feel very confident that it is cosmetic issue only, if whole thing had serious problem there is no way it would pull itself back like this
                    Hi CrocAu

I posted on you build today, trying to learn from your slab cracking issues, once I get around to pouring my slab and let it cure for a week or two, I have a jetfire gas heater used to heat workshop could I point that at underside of slab to get some heat in driving out moisture whilst building dome ( keep me warm too)?
                    Liteceeper
                    ~~~~~~~

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

you don't want to heatup concrete slab just take your time with drying the floor
                      just take it slow and watch underslab temperatures, if they still going up (this takes hours btw) don't go bigger with fires

Comment

Hi All

Been crook with winter cold & sinus issues, started brick stand today. With spring here next week hoping to get a hurry on.
                        Liteceeper
                        ~~~~~~~

Comment

Know how you feel just back from Dr third viral infection in 8 weeks.. Tried to do a couple of things gave up. Plug will have to wait until i'm feeling better
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                            Know how you feel just back from Dr third viral infection in 8 weeks.. Tried to do a couple of things gave up. Plug will have to wait until i'm feeling better
                            Hope you are feeling better Colin, I've got over winter flu's and have a weeks leave off work, so I have got about half of the brick stand built.
                            I must admit it's harder yakka than I thought laying bricks (sore back).
                            Hope to finish by weekend and start boarding up for a concrete pour the following week.
                            Liteceeper
                            ~~~~~~~

Comment

Look s good liteceeper. That's part of the reason I used hebel, you achieve more quicker.
                              But that brick work is pretty good. Be hoping even brickey, would be happy with it.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Completed brick work for stand.
                                Starting on slab today, hopefully will pour on Sunday.
                                Liteceeper
                                ~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                                X