Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

I am really surprised!
    Steve's build is great and all the conversation is great!
    What is the deal with only "1 like" on this thread?
    I like everything I hear every time!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post

But all the wood stoves with ovens had roofs over them---that is the point of my "sermon on roofs".

I am glad so many of you have a history of wood stoves going back to your childhood.

So Steve, what do you think?

I do agree that roofs have a place. And I see your points in your roof sermon. Roofs are a good idea.

Even if masonry is hard to seal completely, it will probably be able to be sealed good enough!. David S, lives in the tropics and has much greater humidity then down in Brisbane but manages through the wet session.

So I think that I will stick with Plan A, and seal the dome as best I can and hope it works out. The front opening is largely protected from the weather, so it is only the dome and flue that will need effort to protect from water incursion. If the water sealing does not work well, I can always go to plan B and put a roof over it.

Mikku, you have the right to say "told you so" if plan B is required.

Steve.
      Last edited by brissie; 11-26-2013, 04:59 AM.

Comment

I used AcraTec which is surprisingly an acrylic textured roll on finish over the render on the dome. It is waterproof and provided you have things organised so water does not pool around the base of the dome and some way of keeping water from blowing into the front (a storm cover would do it) then there is no issue. A cowl on the flue will keep the water out of that in most storms short of a cyclone.

Like you say. Plan B can always be a roof over the whole deal.

I am sure that the oven will bring great satisfaction. Not really necessary to stress about the 'might happen one day' scenarios unless the consequences are life threatening.

Enjoy.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

No, Steve, I will not say that!

I just hope you can enjoy your oven with your family and friends all the time!

You spent a lot of time making your oven--not as long as others, but I am sure the preparation time and thinking if counted adds up to a lot of hours!

Let's see how things go over the next year or so. Maybe by then, my oven will have a roof over it and operating on a regular basis.

Today, I stripped the formwork off the foundation for new wood storage and oven building. Still another retainer wall to prepare for and form--then full speed ahead on the structure.

Observance of Thanksgiving in the USA is the 28th of this month--drove to Maebashi, Gunma Prefecture--about 120 km each way to pick up a frozen Butterball Turkey for our Thanksgiving. Good to know that even if you are away from your traditional home, you can still enjoy a holiday with all the trimmings!

Comment

Mikku okay, - it was a bit of a tease.

Good luck with the oven relocation and thanksgiving. Its good to celebrate your culture and its history, even when not residing in your homeland.

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Thanks Greenman,

I am not stressing. The oven is going well, and so should the plastering/finishing and waterproofing. More then one option exists with most things, I was just expressing worst case... but Its not likely.

Steve.

Comment

Gudday Steve
                You got the most important thing covered so to speak and that is the entrance. Your oven entrance is protected from the driving rain and those front hearth bricks can't suck the water deep into the ovens insulation. I have an outer entrance door now and its proved effective in the storms of the last couple of weeks in keeping my oven dry. You'll find that the oven will be used the most during the dry and cool months of winter and myself I really enjoy being in the open air. I would resist putting overhead cover unless you feel you really need it
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once
                Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                My Door
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                  Gudday Steve
                  You got the most important thing covered so to speak and that is the entrance. Your oven entrance is protected from the driving rain and those front hearth bricks can't suck the water deep into the ovens insulation. I have an outer entrance door now and its proved effective in the storms of the last couple of weeks in keeping my oven dry. You'll find that the oven will be used the most during the dry and cool months of winter and myself I really enjoy being in the open air. I would resist putting overhead cover unless you feel you really need it
                  Regards dave
                  Yes agree, keeping the area as open as possible is the aim. With the front protected I have reduced risk of getting the floor wet. I will be putting a vent at the top of the dome, to help release any potential moisture build up.

Cheers,

Steve.
                  Last edited by brissie; 11-27-2013, 02:17 AM.

Comment

I rendered the dome this weekend, after a few weeks driving moisture out of the vermiculite insulation layer.

Two coats, the first was 4.5 bags of acrylic render over the insulation layer. It was about 15mm thick in most places. I added some galvanised mesh over the chimney area, to reduce cracking.

The second coat had blue oxide added, this render was 1,1,4 cement,lime,sand mix. A couple of cracks started to form near the gecko, so have sprayed the surface with water and covered. Hopefully they won't grow much more. Its a hot day perhaps its curing to fast.

I also added a dome vent. Found the bits at Bunnings - 2 inch 50mm pvc vent cowl and flange. I filled the interior with loose vermiculite. The cavity extends into the layers of ceramic fibre joins at the top of the dome.

Photos attached.
                    Last edited by brissie; 12-07-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Hey Steve - That looks great. The finish is excellent and the gecko is a very nice touch. You are right with the render needing to dry and cure slowly, speed kills with that.

Congratulations.
                      Cheers ......... Steve

Comment

Nice finish Steve. looks great. the gecko very different.....

I had been wondering how thick the render layer needed to be I was looking at 50mm. Might reduce it somewhat.
                        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

The render is the shell on the egg. It serves no real structural purpose other than to seal the deal and to contain the insulation from the weather. Mine was about 25mm and that has worked for me. Might be a new thread - How Thick the Render.............
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Comment

Hey!
                            Your oven is drop-dead-gorgeous! Love the color scheme, I think that it is Nordic "like Finnish"! Do you have Finnish ancestors in your bloodline? The blues are really Nordic colors! I think the gecko is maybe Mayan though or some of the island hopping civilizations that populated the areas around you at the dawn of civilization! I think that it is great!

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                              Nice finish Steve. looks great. the gecko very different.....

I had been wondering how thick the render layer needed to be I was looking at 50mm. Might reduce it somewhat.
                              Thanks Colin, the gecko was my wife's idea. It does look good and stands out with the brownish tones.

50 mm does sound thick. This dome is about 15 mm first coat, plus the colour topping was just enough to spread, perhaps 6 to 8 mm. Total thickness I would say is under an 25mm.

With 50mm you would need to build it up with 3 or 4 layers maybe. Not sure you would need that much under your topcoat.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
                                Hey Steve - That looks great. The finish is excellent and the gecko is a very nice touch. You are right with the render needing to dry and cure slowly, speed kills with that.

Congratulations.
                                Thanks Greenman, Its starting to come together. Still need to sort out the flue join and door(s). Finish the base. all of it should be finished by Xmas...

Cheers,

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X