X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New 36inch castable build in Brisbane

Originally posted by mikku View Post
    Hey!
    Your oven is drop-dead-gorgeous! Love the color scheme, I think that it is Nordic "like Finnish"! Do you have Finnish ancestors in your bloodline? The blues are really Nordic colors! I think the gecko is maybe Mayan though or some of the island hopping civilizations that populated the areas around you at the dawn of civilization! I think that it is great!
    Hi Mikku, Thanks, - no Nordic in my bloodline. We have used the colours outside, and have several pots in the blue tones etc. The Base will be a terracotta-ish colour, blue goes well with it. The gecko will also pick up the base colour.

We do have native geckos in Brisbane, but non native Asian house geckos are always about. Not sure the origin of the tiles, perhaps the gecko is based on Mayan history.

Cheers,

Steve.

Comment

I love it! good work.
      --------------

John

My Build ......... http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ney-20053.html

Comment

If my build comes out half as nice as this I'll be very pleased. :b:

Comment

Thanks chubbybones and Lancer.

This afternoon I am just about to seal the dome with a second coat of water based clear acrylic sealer. I tried a solvent based sealer first at the back of the dome. It went all blotchy dark and light. The render was done last weekend and was still holding water I think. So lucky I don't start on the front... Plan B, the water based sealer worked much better. You can hardly see the first coat.

Also add some buttress shapes carved from hebel under the dome overhangs, bagged the sides and renderd/tiled the front with Mexican hand painted tiles. The base will be painted a terracotta-ish colour.

Comment

Nice work Brissie especially the tiles gecko etc. Love the colours to.
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
              Nice work Brissie especially the tiles gecko etc. Love the colours to.
              Thanks oasiscdm, just finished the first coat of the base. It think the colours work okay...
              Last edited by brissie; 12-15-2013, 02:20 AM.

Comment

Nice work, have you cooked anything in it yet?
                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Nice work, have you cooked anything in it yet?
                  Yep... some photos from previous posts. After the flue is set up I will be cooking again.
                  Last edited by brissie; 12-15-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

Damn, I want!

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer View Post
                      Damn, I want!
                      I must say it cooks really well. had to stop cooking to finish the render and some other bits and pieces. I will be cooking for Xmas, and have most of it completed.

Cheers,

Comment

I picked up a sheet of 0.7mm stainless steal 1800*900 for about $30 on ebay. The thickness is about as thick as you can go if you use snips to cut it.

Finished the flue transition. I made the this so there is an air gap to allow for expansion movement. The transition piece has been flared both top and bottom to fit in place. Only the top SS to SS joint has silicone sealing. The bottom of the transition will not.
                        Last edited by brissie; 12-18-2013, 04:14 AM.

Comment

in a word NICE
                          Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Neat. Good job.
                            Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Nice sheet metal work!

Have a question about your chimney, is it single or double wall type?

If it is single, what type of silicone will hold up to the high stack temperatures?

Did you make the termination cap as well? Looks like you have the tools, and knowledge to pattern and fabricate it! .7 is a bugger even with professional heavy duty snips! I'll be working with .6mm next week and not looking forward to the possible blisters!

Keep up the great work.. enjoying all the pictures!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                                Nice sheet metal work!

Have a question about your chimney, is it single or double wall type?

If it is single, what type of silicone will hold up to the high stack temperatures?

Did you make the termination cap as well? Looks like you have the tools, and knowledge to pattern and fabricate it! .7 is a bugger even with professional heavy duty snips! I'll be working with .6mm next week and not looking forward to the possible blisters!

Keep up the great work.. enjoying all the pictures!

The chimney is single walled. The silicon I used is 300 degree C rated. Sika brand its not recommended for external use, but hope it does work for a while. This is one reason I used the transition piece. Even if the silicon broke down it may not let much water in as the gap is almost non existent. its a tight fit metal to metal, allowing no water to pool around - it will shed most water without any sealing.

See attached photo. I also lifted the transition up to give a gap. It does not touch the dome. An air gap exists between the end of the SS chimney spigot all the way through and around the translation.

The carbon does not burn off the inside of chimney and castable flue gallery so does not get as hot as the internal dome. I am guessing perhaps 300 C.

The silicon will be at its design limit.

The chimney and china man's hat where bought from "pivot on line" in Melbourne. I think the web site has expired, so can't link to it. A 1200*150 dia pipe and china man's hat was about $130 shipped to Brisbane, from memory.

The SS at 0.7 is okay to cut with Wiss snips, and large Gilbow's for strait cuts. I would not like to do a lot of it in one go though, it's tough. I am an ex Plumber so have worked with lots of materials over the years, Including roofing, and other metal work jobs. Metal work is part of the Plumbing trade.

Comment

Working...
                                X