No announcement yet.

39 inch - 1000mm corner brick WFO build - Newcastle au

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Once forms in place, pulled out the fire bricks ready to start mixing the perlite concrete insulating slab. We have had a lot of rain here in past few months, the fire brick floor tiles are bloody heavy when they have absorbed lots of water!

Comment

Shoved some rag down conduit weephole and put an old ceramic tile over weephole area. Decided not to put more tiles over suspended slab as mix will be pretty dry and I already have control joints in slab that will also channel seepage that may get under insulating slab out to outside of suspended slab.

Comment

The perlite was medium 3-6mm size, the concrete mix felt a bit weird compared to normal concrete, was also very hard to get any type of smooth finish to top of the insulating slab. I tried to mix up a bit more slurry / wet mix to put on top to help finish, but ended up giving up as I kept digging into finish when I was troweling it. All good, its pretty level so should be a good surface to lay the floor tiles and perimeter bricks on when it cures. I have added wider raised slab for an entry landing as you can see from the formwork. Wet weather again for next 4-5 days from tomorrow, so just put some plastic over it for now and hopefully it will harden a bit before the rain. Will have to do a bit of curing fires when built as there will be a fair bit of moisture in base slab and floor tiles I think..

Comment

Hmm, never thought about using IFB under the first course if you take dome to hearth floor. An innovative idea, a little more spendy than using pcrete or CaSi but a good alternative none the less. We have seen a few builders lately placing the dome bricks right on the concrete hearth. If one is spend all the time and money to build one of these beast, why not make if a efficient as possible without breaking the bank.
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Brad,

That looks like a great build. Three things to consider.
            1. Corner builds do present some problems. If the wals at the corner are higher than the base, working around the back of thr oven becomes quite difficult, so either don't build them up, or wait until you've completed the oven. The other problem is that it creates a corner at the back of the oven that becomes pretty useless and hard to access as well as being a harbour for dirt and leaves that is difficult to clean out easily.

2. vermicrete takes up a lot of water as you've found. A high proportion remains as free water and as wet insulation does not work well its elimination is important. This is far more difficult to achieve once it's built over. Check my drying test here.
            Vermicrete insulating slab copy.doc.zip

Also here
            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...045#post411045

3. As IFBs have very low density which gives them good insulation value, along with that comes low strength. The 30mm or so of exposed IFB inside the inner dome at its base will be quite vulnerable to damage with a metal peel, so you will need to be mindful of this when operating the oven.

Thanks for your diligent documentation. This is what makes the forum such a great resource for others.

Dave
            Attached Files
            Last edited by david s; 06-29-2024, 01:37 PM.
            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

David brings up a good point on the softness of IFB. I was thinking by you adding 90 mm pcrete under CaSi plus floor brick thickness the IFB would not be exposed on the inside of the dome. Just something to keep in mind

Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and tips. Re the insulated fire brick as first course, once I add the internal 50mm calsil board and the 50mm thick fire brick floor tiles, this will mean the 75mm high IFB to the perimeter will be around 25mm lower than the finished oven floor and won’t be exposed. The next courses of fire bricks are the heavy duty dense ones. I am a bit lucky re the corner build as I will have a ramp beside the oven and access behind it at a higher terrace. At this stage I am not going to build an enclosure and will just rely on some water repelling render or coating to outside of the WFO. Cheers, Brad

Comment

That is a good solution then. Looking forward to the rest of your build. While on insulating fire bricks for anyone reading this thread, they can be obtained free. Be on the lookout for old pottery kilns, particularly from schools that have had operators who’ve not been experienced and therefore not looked after them. I’ve salvaged a couple. The bricks are easy to cut by hand or crush to make insulating aggregate.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Stripped the formwork today, came up pretty well I think. For anyone planning a similar insulating slab, mine came out 1250mm wide overall, depth to front of landing approx 1675mm, with stepped landing widths of 610mm and 835mm at door entry. Used around 3 x 20kg bags of cement and 3 x 100 litre bags of 3-6mm perlite with 5:1:1.5 perlite/cement/water ratio mix.

Comment

Working...
                    X