• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• azatty
    replied
    Re: AZ Piazzalos Unite

Originally posted by j0ew1120 View Post
    It's a single axle open trailer that's going to have a 40" oven mounted on top of it. According to Maricopa County its considered a Mobile food unit and the permit that is required is the same. Plans need to be submitted then approval of the trailer needs to be done at the time of acquirement. Food prepared beforehand needs to be done in a commissary kitchen(or othewise approved location) and hazardous foods must be served the day of preparation. All the typical food handlers cards and regulations apply as well.
    Ah yes, the mobile food unit. Make sure your fabricator knows the County's requirements. The county is stupidly anal about it, and will probably make you add a bunch of stuff that you don't want/need. You might consider running it through Coconino County or Yuma County instead (not Pinal or Pima, though--they're wise to that game). If you get stuck, give Frank Redmond (frankredmond.com) a call. It might cost you a consulting fee, but Frank really knows his stuff.

Leave a comment:

• j0ew1120
    replied

Originally posted by Jraducha View Post
    j0ew1120 -

What type of oven are you getting? Is it enclosed? Have you talked with the he alt department to know what is required to use the oven?
    It's a single axle open trailer that's going to have a 40" oven mounted on top of it. According to Maricopa County its considered a Mobile food unit and the permit that is required is the same. Plans need to be submitted then approval of the trailer needs to be done at the time of acquirement. Food prepared beforehand needs to be done in a commissary kitchen(or othewise approved location) and hazardous foods must be served the day of preparation. All the typical food handlers cards and regulations apply as well.

Leave a comment:

• Jraducha
    replied

j0ew1120 -

What type of oven are you getting? Is it enclosed? Have you talked with the he alt department to know what is required to use the oven?

Originally posted by j0ew1120 View Post
    Well it's official, I am now taking my passion for making pizzas in my backyard and turning it into a business. I contracted a company to have a mobile pizza oven trailer built and will probably take delivery sometime in late May early April. Stay tuned for updates and hope to see you guys out there Mention that you saw me on the forums I'll give you a free pizza!

Leave a comment:

• j0ew1120
    replied

Well it's official, I am now taking my passion for making pizzas in my backyard and turning it into a business. I contracted a company to have a mobile pizza oven trailer built and will probably take delivery sometime in late May early April. Stay tuned for updates and hope to see you guys out there Mention that you saw me on the forums I'll give you a free pizza!

Leave a comment:

• j0ew1120
    replied

Well it's official, I am now taking my passion for making pizzas in my backyard and turning it into a business. I contracted a company to have a mobile pizza oven trailer built and will probably take delivery sometime in late May early April. Stay tuned for updates and hope to see you guys and gals out there. Mention that you saw me on the forums I'll give you a free pizza!
    Last edited by j0ew1120; 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• j0ew1120
    replied

Fired up the oven last night and made up 8 pizzas using for the first time the Tipo 00 flour and San Marzano tomatoes. Was very pleased with the results... If anyone is interested my recipe was 67% hydration, 2.5% salt, 2% instant dry. Here are a couple pics.

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Like Nikki, I do not make it anymore - I have moved to other cheeses and thinking of Salume after I complete my diet in 90 days.

For the quickie stuff, I get the bags from Costco - which is really fresh. Otherwise, I will be getting it from the pizza shop.

As for making your own, be sure to get calcium chloride - worth every penny as I was not getting a good break from the milk. I have a dairy down the street from me, so I need to talk with the farmer to see if he would sell me a few gallons of fresh milk.

CW

Leave a comment:

• dtrbovich
    replied

Very nice, I can't blame you for that. As for a recipe, I originally got interested in making my own when I saw an article/recipe in Gourmet Magazine (which has since gone out of business). However, I found it very difficult to find the ingredients from anywhere in town (rennet & food grade citric acid) and so I started searching on-line and found a mozzarella kit from CheeseMaking - Online Store This site has everything you need to make mozzarella and ricotta cheese. It is about $30 and has enough stuff to do like 40 gallons of milk or some absurd amount.

Now, if you do it here are a couple of tips:
    1. Use Basha's WHOLE milk
    2. Use a non-reactive pan (very important)
    3. Double the time that the recipe say you should allow for the rennet to set-up

Total time from start to finish is about 40 min for me (even though the recipe says 30 min). And most of that is just waiting for the milk to heat up. I want to try making my own Parmesan but you have to age that in a fridge and I can't afford to give up my beer fridge yet lol.

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

I'd like to try making my own mozzarella, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm spoiled with Gilbert Pizza's homemade stuff for sale right across the street, under a mile from my house. ;-) Do you have a book or website with directions you recommend?

Leave a comment:

• dtrbovich
    replied

Man, you guys are killing me! It is hard to see you guys firing your up while I am still trying to finish mine lol. Btw...the ovens look great.

Have you guys tried to make you own mozzarella yet? It is amazingly easy, quick, and tastes better than anything that I have been able to buy. You can basically make it for the cost of a gallon of milk and it will give you about a pound of cheese.

Btw....I am just a little further SE of you guys and thanks for the tips on the materials and ingredients!

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Definitely check out the fresh mozzarella at Gilbert Pizza since you're right here in Gilbert. Delicious, homemade, and no more expensive than the stuff I buy at Trader Joe's.

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

After swapping a computer for mesquite, I dont know if I could go to anything else, barring pecan. The coals are so damn long lived. Plus I just love the smell of the mesquite. Lastly, since I also run a smoker (oh, did I hear pulled pork also this weekend) there is not a worry about having the right stuff. I am so glad that I have a Costco and Sams so close to the house for supplies. Since firing up the oven, I have used 10 pounds of cheese alone! Now for some good supplies, I got to look a little harder.

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Chris,

That is so funny....."forced" LOL. I'm sure you don't need any excuses to light up the dragon. I'm always planning something with my oven so's I can toss in logs and enjoy the experience. Maybe it is the "pyro" in me. Lately I've been experimenting with pallet poplar, oak, palo verde and mesquite. I like the mesquite since it adds long lasting embers and a great aroma.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

You may want to do another burn on Fri/Sat to get the oven prepped and warmed up and practice a few things prior to the game - like I am forced to practice wings saturday to get ready for the game - do not want to mess up a critical item

Leave a comment:

• j0ew1120
    replied

Heat was pretty good, the floor stayed 6-700F while I was doing pizza. Seemed to dissipate quicker than I would have hoped but I didn't fire it fully because a lack of wood. But I got a half cord of pecan this morning and am going to go all out this weekend for super bowl! Going to have about 15 people here so it will definitely be a trial by FIRE....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X