X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• richandleslieinphx
    replied
    Re: AZ Piazzalos Unite

Thanks Chris.....I appreciate the support! I will be in touch soon......

Rich

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Rich,

Just let us all know which way you will be building. We in the group can help you find the materials etc.

Best o luck!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• richandleslieinphx
    replied

Hi all!

I'm getting ready to contruct my oven in Central Phoenix. I will be checking in with all of you as I progress and watching the postings regarding sourcing of supplies. I will let you know if I find anything that is valuable to add.

Cheers!

Rich

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hi All,

I did get to Honeyville last week and bought some high protein flour and a sack of wheat to grind for hearty whole wheat bread. Prices were reasonable. They carry a variety of grains and baking products including bulk yeast, vital wheat gluten (non-gluten flours too) and generally hard to find grains and flours for exotic baked goods. Much of their store is aimed at disaster preparedness with related storage containers and bulk goods.

I stopped by Costo and was blown away with their low prices on 25lb and 50lb sacks of flours. They have both bread flour and all-purpose flour. Costco has two stores very close to where I live. No need to drive across the valley for dough ingredients now. Our most reliable bread and pizza dough is made with all-purpose flour and it is less than $8.00 for 25lbs.

Fresh and Easy stores carry interesting products. I'd like to try the crushed tomatoes w/basil. There are several stores nearby.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

I have a membership to Restaurant Depot. If we can buy it there, that would be very simple.

Liberty might be carrying Caputo now--I haven't checked. But when they opened, I emailed and requested that they carry it, and I asked each of the times I've gone in, so maybe they actually listened! I haven't been there for quite a while, since usually, if we're there, we're typically headed to Joe's BBQ across the street so the kids can run around and play after eating.

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Hey Nikki!

Thanks on the warning about the citrus. Having cracked my chimney on the inaugural pizza party (I was burning hickory) I had the same heat going on. I would like to get wood closer to home if possible. If I do not get the permit in the next couple of days, I cannot get wood until March due to conservation measures in the cutting areas. I was thinking on stopping by the pecan groves down in Eloy for some wood it usually is pretty hot from memory.

I would be up for splitting a bag of Caputo - Shamrock carries but will not sell to us lowly slugs. I have not figured out a way to get into restaurant depot due to business requirements. I had thought that Liberty was carrying the Caputo. My batch of dough the other night was the bread flour from ConAgra (Costco) worked well at a 60% hydration.

CW

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

I'll join the fun!

If anyone wants to split a bag of caputo, I can probably get some from one of the large commercial suppliers (my mom is a pastry chef, and though she spends most of her time in VA at present, she still has lots of connections and pastry chef friends here).

Gilbert Pizza (on the west side of Gilbert Road, between Warner and Ray, and a great place for NY style pizza) makes their own mozzarella and is willing to sell it to you if you give them at least a day's notice. $3.50/lb if I remember correctly, and it's marvelous! They also mentioned that they're happy to sell their dough as well, but they might use sugar in their formula since they're not baking at such high heat, and I haven't tested it yet.

For tomato products, I really love the crushed tomatoes with basil from Fresh and Easy. I prefer it over any of the other brands I've tried, so I no longer make the trek to DeFalco's in Scottsdale to pick up San marzanos. Especially when the price per can is only 99 cents!

The Pork Shop in Queen Creek makes some pretty amazing pepperoni (and other pork products). I always stop there when I'm going down to the Queen Creek Olive Mill for olive oil. If I don't want to drive all that way down there for olive oil, I pick it up at Liberty Market in downtown Gilbert.

Firewood. I'll have to dig up the latest place we used in Mesa. They were very reasonably priced, they delivered, and they have a nice hardwood mix. The parents run a landscaping company and their young adult children run a firewood business using the trimmings. There have been a couple logs that created noxious black smoke, but we just pull those out on the rare occasion when that happens, and move on. For the price and delivery, I don't care! They even accommodated us when I called ON last new year's eve in a panic, looking for wood. They couldn't deliver that day (though they tried! She just couldn't get her brother on the phone), but allowed us to come and pick up a carload that afternoon to get us through the evening, and delivered the next day. Warning: there is citrus in their hardwood mix, and that burns HOT. We had a blowtorch coming out the chimney with that first fire and cracked the chimney segments.

Leave a comment:

• Jraducha
    replied

C5dad - You have been PMed.

I would be down for a meet. It would be fun.

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hi Chris,

Yes, Pizzeria Bianco is highly rated. Wait times up to two hours attest to that.

I didn't get to Honeyville for flour like I said I would. It is still on my list though.

Here is a heads-up......Fry's (Kroger in Az.) has flour 5lbs for $1.49 and 3-pack of yeast for $1.00. Wow, what a deal.

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Jason,

I would like to catch up with you. Proabably should PM me to take this off line.

Bob,

How was the flour from Honeyville?

We should all ( The Arizona Pizza Society) try to have a get-together someplace downtown - I hear there is a brick oven pizza place that was on Food Network:

Pizzeria Bianco
    623 E. Adams St.
    Phoenix, AZ 85004
    (602) 258-8300
    Pizzeria Bianco
    Last edited by C5dad; 12-19-2010, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jraducha
    replied

I do not have a store. I am a food wholesaler. I sell to restaurants. I would be more then happy to help you all out.

Leave a comment:

• C5dad
    replied

Jason,

I too am interested if you have a store. As for the mill - please PM me as I am still playing with my home flour mixes for now.

May the Pizza be with you

Leave a comment:

• azpizzanut
    replied

Hello jraducha,

Do you have a store location? Where can I purchase the interesting items that you listed?

Cheers,

Leave a comment:

• Jraducha
    replied

I am going to ask if he wants his name released in an open forum, if not, Ill PM it to you.

Leave a comment:

• Derkp
    replied

Sorry for the sort of related Question. What was the name of the mill in Utah?

Derk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X