AZ Piazzalos Unite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: AZ Piazzalos Unite

Very nice, I can't blame you for that. As for a recipe, I originally got interested in making my own when I saw an article/recipe in Gourmet Magazine (which has since gone out of business). However, I found it very difficult to find the ingredients from anywhere in town (rennet & food grade citric acid) and so I started searching on-line and found a mozzarella kit from CheeseMaking - Online Store This site has everything you need to make mozzarella and ricotta cheese. It is about $30 and has enough stuff to do like 40 gallons of milk or some absurd amount.

Now, if you do it here are a couple of tips:
    1. Use Basha's WHOLE milk
    2. Use a non-reactive pan (very important)
    3. Double the time that the recipe say you should allow for the rennet to set-up

Total time from start to finish is about 40 min for me (even though the recipe says 30 min). And most of that is just waiting for the milk to heat up. I want to try making my own Parmesan but you have to age that in a fridge and I can't afford to give up my beer fridge yet lol.

Comment

Like Nikki, I do not make it anymore - I have moved to other cheeses and thinking of Salume after I complete my diet in 90 days.

For the quickie stuff, I get the bags from Costco - which is really fresh. Otherwise, I will be getting it from the pizza shop.

As for making your own, be sure to get calcium chloride - worth every penny as I was not getting a good break from the milk. I have a dairy down the street from me, so I need to talk with the farmer to see if he would sell me a few gallons of fresh milk.

CW
      Jen-Aire 5 burner propane grill/Char Broil Smoker

Follow my build Chris' WFO

Comment

Fired up the oven last night and made up 8 pizzas using for the first time the Tipo 00 flour and San Marzano tomatoes. Was very pleased with the results... If anyone is interested my recipe was 67% hydration, 2.5% salt, 2% instant dry. Here are a couple pics.

Comment

Well it's official, I am now taking my passion for making pizzas in my backyard and turning it into a business. I contracted a company to have a mobile pizza oven trailer built and will probably take delivery sometime in late May early April. Stay tuned for updates and hope to see you guys and gals out there. Mention that you saw me on the forums I'll give you a free pizza!
          Last edited by j0ew1120; 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Well it's official, I am now taking my passion for making pizzas in my backyard and turning it into a business. I contracted a company to have a mobile pizza oven trailer built and will probably take delivery sometime in late May early April. Stay tuned for updates and hope to see you guys out there Mention that you saw me on the forums I'll give you a free pizza!

Comment

j0ew1120 -

What type of oven are you getting? Is it enclosed? Have you talked with the he alt department to know what is required to use the oven?

Originally posted by j0ew1120 View Post
              Well it's official, I am now taking my passion for making pizzas in my backyard and turning it into a business. I contracted a company to have a mobile pizza oven trailer built and will probably take delivery sometime in late May early April. Stay tuned for updates and hope to see you guys out there Mention that you saw me on the forums I'll give you a free pizza!

Comment

Originally posted by Jraducha View Post
                j0ew1120 -

What type of oven are you getting? Is it enclosed? Have you talked with the he alt department to know what is required to use the oven?
                It's a single axle open trailer that's going to have a 40" oven mounted on top of it. According to Maricopa County its considered a Mobile food unit and the permit that is required is the same. Plans need to be submitted then approval of the trailer needs to be done at the time of acquirement. Food prepared beforehand needs to be done in a commissary kitchen(or othewise approved location) and hazardous foods must be served the day of preparation. All the typical food handlers cards and regulations apply as well.

Comment

Originally posted by j0ew1120 View Post
                  It's a single axle open trailer that's going to have a 40" oven mounted on top of it. According to Maricopa County its considered a Mobile food unit and the permit that is required is the same. Plans need to be submitted then approval of the trailer needs to be done at the time of acquirement. Food prepared beforehand needs to be done in a commissary kitchen(or othewise approved location) and hazardous foods must be served the day of preparation. All the typical food handlers cards and regulations apply as well.
                  Ah yes, the mobile food unit. Make sure your fabricator knows the County's requirements. The county is stupidly anal about it, and will probably make you add a bunch of stuff that you don't want/need. You might consider running it through Coconino County or Yuma County instead (not Pinal or Pima, though--they're wise to that game). If you get stuck, give Frank Redmond (frankredmond.com) a call. It might cost you a consulting fee, but Frank really knows his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by azatty View Post
                    Ah yes, the mobile food unit. Make sure your fabricator knows the County's requirements. The county is stupidly anal about it, and will probably make you add a bunch of stuff that you don't want/need. You might consider running it through Coconino County or Yuma County instead (not Pinal or Pima, though--they're wise to that game). If you get stuck, give Frank Redmond (frankredmond.com) a call. It might cost you a consulting fee, but Frank really knows his stuff.
                    Sounds like you have been trough this before... Yeah, I am finding out how anal Maricopa County is more and more every day. So if I run my permits through a different county I can still operate within Maricopa County?

Comment

My understanding is that you can operate it anywhere in the state.

Comment

that's definitely something I'm going to have to look into. As I was reading over some of the different county requirements, Maricopa is by far the most strict.I am definitely going to see if that is possible to register it in Yavapii or maybe Coconino County. I left a message with Frank Redmond as well, waiting to hear back from him. thanks for the tips.

Comment

Well after some production delays, my mobile pizza oven trailer is finally getting finished up. Hopefully it should ship out the end of next week! unfortunately most of the farmers markets here in the valley are already closing up shop for the summer. However I think I am going to travel to Prescott and do their big Saturday farmers markets for the next couple months. Hope to see you guys out about.

Comment

Well here she is. Picked it up in Phoenix 2 days ago and I am in the middle of my curing schedule. A couple quick shots as she sits now.

Comment

Sweet set up. You might consider a removable flue pipe extension. Depending on where you set up, it may be an advantage to having the smoke exit higher. Eg set up at a market stall right next to knitted babies clothes. This happened to me once, but I discovered how to fire the oven almost smoke free by using the upside down lighting technique, always maintaining a flame and never overloading the chamber. The use of a blowpipe to do all this is essential.

Apart from the front decorative arch is the oven brick or cast?
                              Have you got shocks on your trailer?
                              Last edited by david s; 06-13-2013, 06:33 PM. Reason: Added questions
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the chimney. It's a cast modular oven. So far I'm very impressed with its heat retention. I lit a small one log curing fire in it last night and this morning it was still too hot to touch the deck with the door off all night. Oh and yes it does have shocks.

Comment

Working...
                                X