X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fxpose
    replied
    Re: My 3-Legged Dome

I started work on the vent landing area today. I used several insulating bricks to create a thermal break, then poured concrete up to the break. I did not build this up to floor level as I don't yet know what finish material to use for the landing. To keep uniformity, I might 'tile' the landing with sliced firebricks. Same goes for the inner facing vertical insulating bricks. I will use refractory cement to bond the firebricks.

George

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by Raffy View Post
    I was thinking cutting triangular notches in strategic points on the angle iron. Bend the angle iron on those strategic points til you close the notches and weld them into place.
    Thanks Raffy, I envisioned doing that as well. I think it's the best method.

Leave a comment:

• Raffy
    replied

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
    Thanks all!

Hi, the outer opening will be rectangular as well, but will also follow the curvature of the hearth. But I'm not sure yet exactly how I'll 'form' this curvature.....most likely a combination of an angle iron and a flat iron/or rebars bent into shape and welded together. This will also serve as support for the vent.

George
    I was thinking cutting triangular notches in strategic points on the angle iron. Bend the angle iron on those strategic points til you close the notches and weld them into place. I hope I'm describing it clearly if not I'll try to draw something up

Originally posted by fxpose View Post
    Not as high as yours Raffy. I'm thinking about 12 feet max.

And thanks for the encouragement!
    The metal chimney is 14 feet so you are not too far off But including the brick chimney its just above 16 feet hehehe

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Originally posted by Raffy View Post
    Your oven looks to be up against an exterior wall of your house. Am I correct? How high will the chimney have to go to clear the roof?
    Not as high as yours Raffy. I'm thinking about 12 feet max.

And thanks for the encouragement!

Leave a comment:

• Raffy
    replied

Oh my lord! I have missed a lot of your build. Great job on the oven, George! All that research paid off and resulted in a record build. Amazing brick work. Very clean and precise. What can I say but get on that vent ASAP so you can start cooking =D

Your oven looks to be up against an exterior wall of your house. Am I correct? How high will the chimney have to go to clear the roof?
    Last edited by Raffy; 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks guys!

I need to now think about how I'm going to design the vent area. I need to make it as wide and as deep as possible. I don't want a smokey environment there as that corner is in a nook and not in an open area, and next to a door leading into the kitchen.

I will need lots of napkins for this. Back to the coffee shop....
    Last edited by fxpose; 05-24-2010, 09:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• lwood
    replied

Nice brick work

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

congrats........

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

I mortared the plug. The dome has been capped.

Now I will concentrate my efforts on the landing/vent assembly.

George
    Last edited by fxpose; 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thank you!

Today I carved 3 full bricks to make a large plug.

Checking for fit and the dome will be capped tonight!

Thanks for looking,
    George

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Verra nice!

Leave a comment:

• eprante
    replied

very nice, you are very close now. Pizza soon.
    Eric

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Last course done! The last 2 courses were laid freehand as my indispensible tool became useless at that angle.

I will cap this 6.5" inner diameter opening with 3 large pieces, adding no additional height to the dome.
    My other option was to lay another tight course and drop a keystone but I decided not to do that as that would have added another 1/2" to the dome height which I don't want. Besides, I didn't want to spend another few hours tapering each tiny piece, piece by piece to make them fit.

George

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Here's one fun photo before I lose the skylight for good...

Leave a comment:

• fxpose
    replied

Thanks all!

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
    Will the outer arch be an angle iron too or a brick arch?
    Hi, the outer opening will be rectangular as well, but will also follow the curvature of the hearth. But I'm not sure yet exactly how I'll 'form' this curvature.....most likely a combination of an angle iron and a flat iron/or rebars bent into shape and welded together. This will also serve as support for the vent.

George

Leave a comment:

Working...
X