Building Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Building Between a Rock and a Hard Place

Very cool Sharkey! Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

G'day
      That's fantastic!
      What type of cover is to go over the top
      Regards dave
      Measure twice
      Cut once
      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
      My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

After the structure was assembled and finessed into the correct position the sail was placed loosely in position. The sail is hi-tech, Teflon coated, fire retardant fabric that should last 20 years or more. A 10mm steel cable is built into the entire perimeter of the sail so it can be tensioned.

You can see here that the stainless tension bolts that attach the sail to the structure are quite long. They are repeatedly tightened in sequence until the entire sail is extremely taut. Then the tail of the bolt is cut off and a lock nut put on.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-05-2018, 08:05 PM.
        Sharkey.

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

My Build - Between a rock and a hard place

Comment

A project keeps me happy......You must have the same drive to always have a project going Sharkey

Looks great! Quite a cover up. Are you a politician? ;-)
          Lee B.
          DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

And here it is all tensioned up with braces installed. It just needs a bit of paint to finish it off.

There is so much space under this thing that these photos don't do it justice ? it is so open and airy and doesn't feel closed in at all.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-05-2018, 08:08 PM.
            Sharkey.

Comment

That is really nice. Top notch.

Is your oven under the sailshade, or outside of it?
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Sharkey,

Absolutely stunning! You've come a long, long way from the the early days of removing rock. Admirable attention to detail throughout and a wonderful piece of aesthetics in your cover. Can't wait to see what comes next!!

John

Comment

Hi sharkey.

That is an amazing structure, setting, you must be so pleased with the result
                  Is it a rain proof sail? And how will smoke discoloration of the cloth be prevented? Looking again distance, was difficult to see on the phone.

I have a friend owns a sail company did mine and i got a great price. but mine pale into insignificance compared to your amazing structure.

Wow
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 11-26-2014, 02:42 PM.
                  Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Great looking things and amphitheatre.

They look very Brizzy Expo 88

Dont know if they were invented for the expo or first showcased there?
                    http://80years.thiess.com/assets/vid...m.png?v=110799

Probably seen the 2 servos on the west gate with them.

Comment

effing amazing, what a setting.
                      My Build:
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...and-19101.html

Comment

Thanks for all the positive replies.

The oven sits under the edge of the sail so I should be able to cook when it is raining, however the edge of the oven will still get wet, so I have to work on waterproofing it better. The sail is some hi-tech, Teflon coated fabric that should last 20 years. It is fire retardant and stain resistant. We have a lot of bird life and sometimes when you look up you can see the shadow where bird droppings are, however a light rain shower washes them away.

This sail was designed and built by a local company that has a lot of experience in this sort of thing. Having said that they still think it is one of the more interesting shade structures they have constructed and want to get some good photos to enter it in a competition.

I am working on getting the lighting right. Here is my first attempt - there are 2 led spotlights sitting on top of the rock pointing out under the sail. I need to get some light out at the front edge of the deck and some light on the oven. It would also look much better if the oven was lit. Still, this setting has such fantastic atmosphere we have been having dinner and drinks out there most nights.

Last edited by Sharkey; 01-05-2018, 08:10 PM.
                        Sharkey.

Comment

Looking awesome Sharkey!!! Your oven/outdoor rock project just keeps getting better & better!!

Aceves

Comment

Spectacular Sharkey ! And no snow load to worry about!

Comment

I can't believe I missed this thread before - what in incredible piece of work! I mean, there are some pretty stunning WFOs on display at this forum, but this is at a whole new level.

I have to say though, I think I preferred the brick outer arch on display - and what was the significance (if any) of the keystone sitting proud? (I've seen this on buildings - is it the signature of a master mason or something?)

I'm truly impressed (and ever so slightly jealous)! :P)
                              Last edited by cleverdick; 12-27-2014, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Still one of the coolest builds. I love the sail. I have a pretty large area which I am going to have to cover. Most common here is a pergola which is probably what I'll choose to go with but we'll see. I'll have to explore other options like this too.
                                Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Working...
                                X