• brianventura
    replied
    Re: The build has begun!

Here is a close up shot of the bread.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Well I have to say the finish work isn't going as quickly as the building of the oven did. I am though enjoying the oven even if the exterior is not finished. We had a party for my wife's birthday and I cooked pizzas for appetizers and everyone was amazed how fast the pizzas cooked and how hot the oven was. The next morning the oven was at 550 and I let it cool off to about 450 before I tried cooking some bread. The bread came out ok but I think I needed to let it rise a little longer next time. I am learning to cook with the oven and in time I will get it right.
    Last edited by brianventura; 07-30-2011, 09:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

David S,

That would be more accurate but I was just getting a rough estimate because I had no idea. I think it would also depend on what kind of wood you were using.

John,

The roof is going to be a metal roofing material and the sides will be finished with stone of some kind.
    It took me roughly 2 hours to get up to temperature with the top of the dome near 1000 degrees Fahrenheit and the floor near 700. It was interesting watching the inside top of the dome go clear as it burned off the carbon buildup.

Leave a comment:

• Aegis
    replied

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
    I had wondered how much wood was needed to reach the temperature for cooking pizza.
    Great job on the build! I also like the great steel work on the framing. What will you be using for a roof and sides?
    That is a fair amount of wood, more than I hoped I'd have to use, but not unexpected. How long did it take to get up to pizza temp? Do you know how hot your floor was and dome?
    Thanks
    John

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Providing your wood is dry, a better indicator of wood usage is to weigh the wood pile before and after, then calculate the weight of wood consumed. The weight is proportional to the heat contained, so is a more accurate measure rather than using the volume of wood.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

I had wondered how much wood was needed to reach the temperature for cooking pizza. I took a photo of the wood pile before I started and when it reached ceiling temp of 1000 degrees fahrenheit I took the second photo of the wood pile. I still used a few more logs off of the pile to keep the fire going but it gave me an idea of how much wood I would need.
    I first used some coals in the center of the oven to start the fire. It worked well for me as I didn't have small pieces to start with.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

md_massimino,

Once I put the form in the rest of the rings went quickly. I set two rings in the beginning and let it set for a couple of hours then took out the form and cleaned underneath since I wasn't going to have enough time to finish at one time. I placed the form back in place and finished the dome with no problems later on. What was tricky was getting into the oven to place the support for the form. I used a ladder and some plywood to be a platform so I could lay flat. I had to scoot with both arms forward to get in so I could use two hands to put in the 2x4"s and shims, one hand did not work.

Last night we had our second pizza night with a few friends. The oven worked great and the pizza was a hit.

Leave a comment:

• md_massimino
    replied

Originally posted by brianventura View Post
    I made a form to help finish the rest of the way to the top. I should be finished with the dome real soon.
    I love this form, btw. I only used a straight length of wood to set the angle so far and I'm at that stage now where I need the support and I think this approach should work very well.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Fullback66,
    Thanks for the comment. I have been away from communication for a while and I'm glad that you received some good information to get started.

Lburou,
    Thank you very much for posting the information in a timely manner for fullback66.
    I had strong winds during the curing process but luckily I'm am protected by a very large oak tree and hedge. I had a small amount of smoke exit the front but most of it went through the vent.

Gene,
    Thanks, this is my first project using metal studs. The walls should be ok as I won't have much of a load on the roof. I also will have a countertop up against each side to add strength for the wall. I had plans on putting collar ties on the rafters but I had to keep the roof height to 6' which didn't allow for room.

Leave a comment:

• ggoose
    replied

brianventura,

I was admiring your clean and well-ordered metal stud framing job. I hope mine looks as good when I finish. I did have one comment though. You migh consider adding a collar tie or two, or run some studs from the top of the wall on the left side to the top of the wall on the right side where space permits. As your roof stands now, there is nothing to prevent the side walls from bending outward from weight on the roof. In other words, you haven't completed the triangle (the bottom chord) which allows the roof to bear a load.

Just a thought that might prevent a problem in the future

gene

Leave a comment:

• fullback66
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    You will find a link in this thread.

Brian, I'm jealous at the cleanness still on the outside of your entry arch! We have had big winds here this week and I've had to block the entry with plywood to keep the smoke from coming down, yes down, the chimney and then out the front -another length of flu should fix that. After the fire and oven are hot, we're OK, but your clean arch looks great! :double cool:
    Thank you very much. What a great site.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by fullback66 View Post
    I downloaded the plans for a 42" oven off the Forno Bravo web site

Where did you find the download? I can not find it on the home page.
    Your oven is very nice. You set the bar very high.
    You will find a link in this thread.

Brian, I'm jealous at the cleanness still on the outside of your entry arch! We have had big winds here this week and I've had to block the entry with plywood to keep the smoke from coming down, yes down, the chimney and then out the front -another length of flu should fix that. After the fire and oven are hot, we're OK, but your clean arch looks great! :double cool:
    Last edited by Lburou; 06-12-2011, 06:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fullback66
    replied

I downloaded the plans for a 42" oven off the Forno Bravo web site

Where did you find the download? I can not find it on the home page.
    Your oven is very nice. You set the bar very high.

Leave a comment:

• BriggsARNP
    replied

It looks really good. I don't see any smoke on your outer arch. I can't wait to see how you finish it.

Leave a comment:

• brianventura
    replied

Mike D,

Yes this was certainly not the first fire. I had already spent a week on the curing process.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X