• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stonecutter
    replied
    Re: My Wood fired Redux

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I dunno, your customer this time is pretty damn picky....
    Guilty as charged...

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I dunno, your customer this time is pretty damn picky....

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

You said it...this part never gets old. In a way, the fact that things got held up on this build has been a good thing. The granite work I have planned for the entry will take some time to carve, but I can still frame everything up, insulate and dry it in while that's going on.

Even though I'm looking forward to the stone veneer, I am even more psyched to do the roof.....it's going to be something I have been waiting to do for years for the right customer. I guess this oven will have to do!

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

You are down to the fun part now, fit and finish.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Plenty of cracks on the cladding...none inside the dome that I can tell. Not bothered about the cladding, it's letting steam and moisture out. Today's fire was the hottest yet, and I barely saw any wetness around the cracks...it's getting close. All the fires have been kept burning a minimum of 5 hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1477 new66.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	294234

Name:	IMG_1481 new77.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	294235

Name:	IMG_1485 new88.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	294236

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Grabbed a couple hours the last couple days for curing fires and some work on the watertable. Yesterday I wet sanded the second slurry coat and then set them on the base....no pics...oops. I applied some Lexel in between the pieces to act as a kind of gasket because I didn't want a joint.

At the same time, I had another fire going...I'm guessing it was in the 500*-600* range.

Today I profiled the watertable and burned a good fire...guessing it was in the 700*-800* range. The bricks were clearing when I stopped adding fuel, it was getting dark and we may get rain later tonight so I need it to cool so I can tarp the dome later tonight.

Next I am going to slurry the profile the wet sand it...then some sealer.

Pics....

Name:	IMG_1475 new33.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	294231

Name:	IMG_1478 new44.jpg
Size:	892.8 KB
ID:	294232

Name:	IMG_1479 new55.jpg
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	294233

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Another fire today, I'm guessing between 400*-550*...maybe a touch hotter. Cracking in the cladding allowed a lot of moisture and puffs of steam to escape...but the joints inside the dome are still tight. I also sanded and second slurried the watertable today, should have those installed by the end of the weekend.

Name:	IMG_1469 new1.jpg
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	294199

Name:	IMG_1470 new2.jpg
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	294200

Name:	IMG_1471 new3.jpg
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	294201

Made use of that test panel of perlcrete...holding the heat in the oven after the fire dies down for a long slow cure. V-wiz, this is what I try to do when I cure ovens...and it works well. But as SCChris pointed out, maintaining the temp is a challenge and all day firings aren't always practical.

Name:	IMG_1468 new44.jpg
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	294202

Leave a comment:

• V-wiz
    replied

Looking good there man, keep it up.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Yes David, that is something I am well aware of....all of the ovens I built in the past have larger vents and outer entries. The granite arch I have mentioned is going to be the outer one...following the line of the vent. It will be around three inches wider than the oven opening.
    Last edited by stonecutter; 04-24-2013, 04:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• david s
    replied

Make your outer decorative arch,if you plan on having one, bigger than the entry arch or you will have trouble fitting the door easily.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

On the low done Neapolitan I did, I just ground it after building instead of cutting prior to fitting, it probably worked better that way.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

That looks fine to me!

I knew going in that it might look weird...turning an arch with square units never looks good to me, but I didn't feel like all the cutting was worth it, especially since it will be very low visibility and function normally. I may reach in there with the grinder and bevel my edges on the inside like you did...forgot to do that! Maybe while I'm at it, my ocd will kick in and the arch will get some fine tuning too.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I did 45 the upper half of the arch on the interior face to help with the draft, worth doing if you don't want smoke stains.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Mine is offset so it looked pretty funky when built. I cut it flush with the barrel to facilitate the vent, even though it is all covered up. The left side is flush with the vault, the right extends 2-3 inches above it prior to cutting it off.

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

I almost grabbed my makita with a surface grinder to smooth out the arch, but eh...I seriously doubt it will be an issue, when the vent goes in. Plus the outside granite arch will have clean lines and I think the eye will be drawn to that. Or I'll just reach in with the grinder and have at it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X