• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

George,

I wish I had taken a picture of the anchor before I installed it. I threw together a 4-minute CAD drawing of it. It's a bit rough but I think you'll get the idea.

The plate has a threaded, insulated section on the upper side that accepts the chimney pipe. Underneath the plate, the thin, 8"diam inner wall protrudes about 1-2". This is the area that expanded on Julian and he was snipping.

If you have a bit of clearance around the lower ring, you should be ok (if I understand Julian's problem correctly!).

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Thanks (again) Ken,
    I think I understand what you're getting at. I thought the pipe mounted outside the plate and just sat on top. From what you've indicated, the pipe goes inside the anchor plate. Is that the case?
    I'm just getting ready to order chimney supplies. I think I need to hold them in my hands to really get a feeling for the problem.
    George

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    The reason I'm sweating it a bit is that Julian/Gentcpa recently had difficulties with expansion of the anchorplate causing cracking of his arch.
    Did you see those posts?
    Yes, I've been following those closely. If I understand the problem correctly, if you have a hair more than 8"x8" on the interior dimensions, that will give the 8" pipe some breathing room. If the pipe is snug inside your transition, you might have problems. I hit a few spots on my interior with the angle grinder to assure the pipe can expand a bit. I hope that works.

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Ken,
    thanks for your help with the vent placement.
    The reason I'm sweating it a bit is that Julian/Gentcpa recently had difficulties with expansion of the anchorplate causing cracking of his arch.
    Did you see those posts?
    G.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by asudavew View Post
    Have you started your curing fires yet?
    Nope. We went out of town for the long holiday weekend. I had planned on curing and building the enclosure this week, but as luck would have it... Rain

This is also the busy season at work. It's going to be a busy month. I'll try to squeeze in oven work when I can.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

I love the photoshop drawing of your housing.

I am sure the final product will look even nicer.
    You can sure see the whole picture. Great vision.
    That's hard for me to do sometimes.

Have you started your curing fires yet?

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by gjbingham View Post
    I'm reviewing your chimney anchor attachment. Did you mortar it in place or use a high temp caulking material?
    George,

I put down 1/2" of mortar and squished the anchor down on it to get a good seal. Then I heaped up some mortar on the corners and made sure it oozed over the sides to bond with the mortar oozing out the edges. With the weight of the chimney pushing down, I don't think it'll go anywhere.

Also, You're using an 8 inch chimney, correct? What is the dimensions of the square anchor plate?
    12"x12" for the Duratech 8" plate.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by Frances View Post
    ...so, when exactly do you plan on getting that far?
    Frances, Looks like it will be spring before the stone & stucco. I'm going to try to get the framing, cement board and roof done before the end of December.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by rlf5 View Post
    I think you should cover the dome with glass and evacuate the air in between so that you can forever marvel at the fine craftsmanship of your dome.
    Isn't that what they did with Lenin? I'll pass

Leave a comment:

• gjbingham
    replied

Ken,
    I'm reviewing your chimney anchor attachment. Did you mortar it in place or use a high temp caulking material?

Also, You're using an 8 inch chimney, correct? What is the dimensions of the square anchor plate?

Many thanks.

PS. Love your plans for the finish. I was going to work up something on my Corel program, but that's a problem for another day.....
    George

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Looks great! I especially like the sun on the front. The view behind the oven's nice, too (with we had half that much space here).

...so, when exactly do you plan on getting that far?

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

I think you should cover the dome with glass and evacuate the air in between so that you can forever marvel at the fine craftsmanship of your dome.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Ken - you gotta love software, looks great! ( I would add some flames from hell coming out of the opening ) Have an excellent holiday as well!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

After some marital negotiations, we've settled upon a plan for the enclosure. The first pic is the dome as it exists now, the second is how we would like it to look thanks to Photoshop.

I'd like to wish everyone a wonderful Thanksgiving! Have a great weekend guys and gals!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

You guys are making my head hurt............

Fire that badwfo up!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X