X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ken524
    replied
    Re: My Old Kentucky Dome

Vent to chimney anchor transition. First of two courses.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Yep. See, I have gaps all over the place round the hearth.... it happened all by itself because I could only cut streight lines with my anglegrinder and even then it was all pretty aproximate.

But then, after cooking pizza, I come here and admire Ken's dome.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Hey Dusty, don't let the magnitude of each small detail get you bogged down. As long as the bricks resemble a crude dome, it's going to cook pizza!

I seem to enjoy over-complicating things to make them more challenging (James has even blown the whistle on one of my ideas ). The downside to this sickness is that there are others here enjoying pizza tonight while I'm still scheming up a design for my vent transition.

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    And I forgot to mention. Now that I have started, and have begun to realize the magnatude of each small detail, I appriciate your finished dome even more...FIVE times as much!

dusty
    Ditto on that one Dusty.

He made it look easy.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

And I forgot to mention. Now that I have started, and have begun to realize the magnatude of each small detail, I appriciate your finished dome even more...FIVE times as much!

dusty

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Yep! That helps alot. I waited to set the soldiers because I sorta remembered you talking about that cardboard. I don't recall reading it in the plans, but I read them a while ago. I suppose I need to refresh. Thanks Ken. I think I'm done for today, but when I resume, I will set the soldiers with a piece of cardboard spacer.

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, I totally forgot that detail. Thanks. I have this noted for my self as well.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by dusty View Post
    I seem to remember you leaving a gap between the floor and the soldiers. I am there now. What was that all about?
    Dusty,

Apparently, if you put the soldiers tight against the floor, the floor can (or will) expand when heated and push out your soldier course causing dome cracks. The plans recommend leaving a small gap between the floor and soldier course to allow for the expansion. The gap will fill with ash which has some compressibility.

I cut some corrugated cardboard strips from an old box and used them as spacers between the floor and first course. Some of the strips I pulled out, some are stuck in there. They will burn away during curing. The cardboard also will keep stray mortar from falling and dripping into your gap.

Here's a pic:

Click this link to see the full size pic

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Ken524; 11-11-2007, 04:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

That looks perfect. I especially like the tapered entry to the chimney. Question... I seem to remember you leaving a gap between the floor and the soldiers. I am there now. What was that all about?

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Originally posted by RTflorida View Post
    Next we are going to have to take you to school on pizza making......no more talk of canned or jar sauce or grocery store dough. We'll getcha learned on the finer points of americanized WFO pizza making.
    Thanks RT. I am really looking forward to becoming a sophisticated pizza chef . I guess I'll have to start reading the threads on dough mixers!

Ken

Leave a comment:

• rlf5
    replied

Very cool.

Leave a comment:

• RTflorida
    replied

Nice work Ken, VERY nice. Next we are going to have to take you to school on pizza making......no more talk of canned or jar sauce or grocery store dough. We'll getcha learned on the finer points of americanized WFO pizza making. You've got a fantastic oven, lets have it produce some fantastic pizza.
    Thanks for all of the play by play, nice to see regular updates like you and Dave have provided.

Leave a comment:

• Dannyboyblue
    replied

It's gonna be a shame to cover the whole thing up.

Leave a comment:

• Acoma
    replied

Ken, what great work to finish to vent area. Excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Ken524
    replied

Completed vent! Next step is to build a transition for the anchor plate.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X