My build, New Zealand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helps LOADS mate!
    It really helps to visualize the idea and minimize what I was going to do! I had it in my head to build quite a buttress but the work you did is tight, focussed and apparently sufficient to the task.
    I will move forward more comfortably with the idea of buttressing now.

Really appreciate your reply and photos, Mark!
    Very kind of you!
    Barry
    You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Baza View Post
      Helps LOADS mate!
      It really helps to visualize the idea and minimize what I was going to do! I had it in my head to build quite a buttress but the work you did is tight, focussed and apparently sufficient to the task.
      I will move forward more comfortably with the idea of buttressing now.

Really appreciate your reply and photos, Mark!
      Very kind of you!
      Barry
      Thank you Barry!
      I look forward to following your build.

Kind regards,
      Mark
      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Hey Mark! Great build, hope you’re enjoying it during lockdown! I’m down in the South Island planning out a build. I’m trying to decide whether to build a roof or enclosure around the oven. I see you’ve just used waterproof mortar. Would you do it differently a second time? And have you put in a vent for the insulation? I much prefer the look of ovens without a roof or enclosure (and a lot easier/cheaper!) but worry moisture will eventually get in. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveNZ View Post
          Hey Mark! Great build, hope you’re enjoying it during lockdown! I’m down in the South Island planning out a build. I’m trying to decide whether to build a roof or enclosure around the oven. I see you’ve just used waterproof mortar. Would you do it differently a second time? And have you put in a vent for the insulation? I much prefer the look of ovens without a roof or enclosure (and a lot easier/cheaper!) but worry moisture will eventually get in. Cheers!
          Hi Dave

Only just saw your post, sorry! Lockdown has been fine as we have pizza! LOL
          I like it just the way it is, but a roof will obviously be better for waterproofing. As it is, I think I'll paint the outside as some moisture still gets through the plaster. For the moment, I've found it best to cover the oven throughout winter with some tarps as it's only prolonged rain that is a problem. And boy, has it been wet of late!

Good luck with your project. Shout out if you have any questions.

Kind regards,
          Mark
          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Hi Mark,

I've really enjoyed reading through your build and in particular using the storage heater bricks as this is a path I'm thinking of heading down. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your build so you may know the answer to my question - I'm trying to understand what goes into a heater storage brick that makes them different from a standard fire brick. From what I have seen online they add iron oxide to them which is quite bad for you in powder or fumes. But I assume because its set in brick that its not really an issue having food come in contact? Also, just wondering how yours are getting on? is your oven still out in the open? do the heater storage bricks rust at all?

Thanks,
            Hamish

Comment

Originally posted by Ham-ish View Post
              Hi Mark,

I've really enjoyed reading through your build and in particular using the storage heater bricks as this is a path I'm thinking of heading down. It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your build so you may know the answer to my question - I'm trying to understand what goes into a heater storage brick that makes them different from a standard fire brick. From what I have seen online they add iron oxide to them which is quite bad for you in powder or fumes. But I assume because its set in brick that its not really an issue having food come in contact? Also, just wondering how yours are getting on? is your oven still out in the open? do the heater storage bricks rust at all?

Thanks,
              Hamish
              Hi Hamish

Thank you for your message. From what I have found online, they can contain magnesite or iron oxide. My floor bricks contain neither so far as I can tell, but as for the dome, almost certainly magnesite.
              Most sand here contain a lot of iron oxide, so I'd be surprised if there's no iron oxide in some of the build materials. With the inner surface of the oven routinely getting exceedingly hot, I would expect that any off-gassing that may occur would have done so by now.

There is no sight of rust anywhere but the inside of the bricks are no longer a dark red, but more of a grey (for the dome) while the floor has remained a beige brick sort of colour. I'll check it with a large magnet to see if there's any bits that stick to the magnet and will get back to you!

I'll have to get back to you with whether the oven outlasts me or if I outlast the oven! I've not built any roof over it yet. I might do a pergola with a pull out awning.

Kind regards,
              Mark

Comment

Winter pizza party.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X