• Show
Clear All

• dmun
    replied
    Re: Michigan WFO

There are lots of sources of used roofing slates:

Sources of Salvaged Roofing Slates

They show up on eBay, too:

slate roofing - eBay (item 270402181798 end time Jul-03-09 08:12:01 PDT)

11X16 ANTIQUE ROOFING SLATES, BLACK MUNSON, MANY 2 SELL - eBay (item 260365231632 end time Jul-19-09 18:30:20 PDT)

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

Mike,
    I bet you could use 12x12 slate tiles for an area as small as a wood oven. I have seen pretty rustic slate tiles for fairly inexpensive at the home depot, lowe's type stores. Sometimes less that $2/sq.ft.

Just an idea.

L.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

No luck here, Scott. I was hoping for slate. I like the look of a heavy roof on the stone oven, like Nikki's oven. Until I priced it. Very cost prohibitive. Seems no one in Michigan uses slate roofing.

Leave a comment:

• smuth10
    replied

Mike,

What are you going to use for roofing materials? I am having a heck of a time finding anything besides asphalt shingles or cedar shake. I would really love to use metal roofing and just screw it to the metal studs. If you have a good source, please pass it my way.

Thanks, Scott...

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

That's some quick progress, Mike. Looks great.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Dino, yep, my first time working with steel studs. It was fun (in a hand cutting, arm scraping sort of way). I don't have a chop saw, and couldn't really justify another purchase at this time, so had to cut them all by hand with tin snips. This is very doable, but likely less precise than a saw.

Here's the progress I made yesterday.

Leave a comment:

• Dino_Pizza
    replied

Wow, Mike, that looks great. I stacked my trusses this morning too to see if they all lined up. You also had the same problem with the vent being so close to the opening. I had to trim a crescent moon arc out of my top track to go around my 8" vent and then similar to you, added strength but with 2.5" track within the cut up 3.5" track and attaching to the vertical studs. Is this your 1st time with steel studs? If it wasn't for Kens pics and Bills and Joes too, I wouldn't have known what to do. Take care, Dino

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Some steel trusses I've put together for the framing. Nothing original in their design. All ideas taken from this forum.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Makes sense, Les.

I cut a notch out of that steel framing piece that was abutting the flue tile. I then reinforced with a doubled up stud flipped up on it's side. I'm sure this will be more than stable.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Mike, it's the same blend thats recommended for the hearth. If it does expand, it won't be enough to cause harm. The stuff is so loose there is plenty of room for movement.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Is that mix compressible (flexible? elastic? compliant? I'm sure one of these is the proper engineering term!)

If the flue heats up and expands, will this be transmitted to the brick surround and cause strain?

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Mike - I filled the gap with a portland/vermiculite mix. I figured it would give it a little strength and insulate as well.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Back to basics for me. How is this flue liner/chimney supposed to work? If a gap is left around the flue liner, does it remain unsupported all the way up the chimney? What about insulation around the flue liner? To steal a photo from Cypress's build, does anything fill this gap?

Leave a comment:

• Lars
    replied

I pretty much just read this entire thread... You guys are right, this forum is VERY good.

I am about to post my completely simplistic approach to supporting an arch, and have learned so much about my flue building ( next thing to do) and curing with ( or without) insulation.

Thanks for all the info!

Lars

ps. Seems like there ought to be a WFO tour... would be a very interesting trip!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

I'm less worried about combustibles, as the whole thing will be filled with loose vermiculite. Does the flue tile expand at all? I will have cement board, with stone veneer on the other side of that metal stud. I 'd hate for a hot flue tile to expand, move the stud, and dislodge the thin stone veneer. Is that likely, or am I worried about nothing?

I agree with Daren. This enclosure is a lot more challenging/frustrating than the dome. I think it's because the dome comes with instructions (FB plans). Even if you have no building intuition/knowledge/experience, as long as you can follow directions, your good. The enclosure seems to involve building skills and experience, neither of which I possess.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X