X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mfiore
    replied
    Re: Michigan WFO

Here is my tentative plan to bridge that gap. I tried to mimic Daren's "bridge". I worked this out in the afternoon, only later to read Dutch's advice. I think we were on the same track (great minds must think alike! )

I just took a few brick splits and cut a V shaped notch in to "hang" on the back of the arch.

Here is the first one in place.

I think it should help get the next course on the right foot.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Thanks, everyone, for the continued advice and encouragement. It is all very helpful.

Dan, you are certainly welcome to visit anytime. I'll send you a PM.

Still without Heat-Stop, so I started planning the vent. I had put a tapered entry into the oven to improve visibility, access. It isn't much of an angle, but enough to cause a pain in the vent. The trick is to get the bricks of the outer arch to be straight (perpendicular to the front of the opening), yet positioned into arch supports that are at an angle. I cut a odd shaped groove in the arch supports to help with this. I think it will work.

Here are the bricks cut to fit.

Here is the left arch support in place

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

Mike
    You could cut a brick or two to fit that space now with close to that angle as it appears from your photo to be about that size...then on the following courses you would not have as much of an issue...but honestly the spaces would not be that big an issue and as Elizabeth said brick chips can do the trick
    You're doing a great job
    Best
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• Dakota Earth
    replied

Mike,
    I'm going to be visiting my parents in a couple of weeks. They live east of you about 45 minutes. When I'm in the area, could I give you a call, come over, and take a look at your project?

thanks,
    Dan

brixblocks@gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• David Manchester
    replied

Looking really good, you keep the bricks pretty clean! Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

It's always a good feeling when nothing falls!

I used small pieces of brick to stuff the holes I had when I came around to the arch. You could just use mortar, but I felt that adding the pieces helped with the problem of too large a mortar joint. There weren't too many holes, really. Be patient with the shaping, I got impatient with mine and ended up with some strange things to work out. I used two bricks where I should have taken the time to work with three, and the shaping got odd.

While it did get a bit out of round, that was easy enough to correct in the next few courses. I just should have fixed it so it wasn't a problem in the first place... I wouldn't cut into the arch. At all. I like the concept of "hanging" the dome on top of it- I don't know if it's true from an engineering standpoint, but it seems to me that it locks it all together, somehow...

It's looking really good. Much tidier than mine!

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

OK, I'm still waiting for mortar, but was able to "scrape the bag" for enough to finish the 7th course.

I took the arch form out and nothing fell!

I need some advise about the transition. I am worried that I screwed it up a little. It seems to be coming out round, but I don't no how to tie it in to the top of the arch without leaving gaps.

I've been cutting notches out of the dome arches to conform to the arch. If I continue this for the 8th course, there will be gaps. Should I have been grinding out part of the arch to have the dome bricks fit better?

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Very Nice work !

As for thirds.. I'm with Elizabeth.
    Mine started in the last 3 or 4 rows as well.

Excellent!

Dave

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I think I started using the 1/3 bricks when the gaps the 1/2 inch ones left started to offend me. I'd say it was the last 3 rows- and the two rows before that, I was using 1/2 bricks for about 3 bricks and then cutting a small wedge to keep from having joints line up, and repeating that all the way around...

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

I had time for 3 more brick after work today. The 7th course is nearly done (half way to the top?). I'm out of mortar. I had to order a third bag of Heatstop 50. I'm only half way, and using more than I thought. If (when) I run out of this bag, I'll probably also switch to mixing my own.

This will give me a few days off to ponder that arch transition!

At what point do folks switch to 1/3 size bricks rather than half?

Leave a comment:

• dbhansen
    replied

I agree - looking superb!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Mike - no worries. At the end of the day, no one will see it. Just keep trying to keep a level line, and when you hit the top, it's all good. It's looking great!

Les...

Leave a comment:

• edschmidt
    replied

Hello, I know Im a little late to the thread. Im in grand rapids and used the menards stuff and had no issues (knock on wood) after 2 years of use including all winter. I have been known to whip in a snowball to help oven spring in the dead of winder.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

A little further today. Course 6 complete. Course 7 halfway done.

I think the placement of the arch will work out after all. A little hard to judge until you tackle it. As much as I'm trying to avoid the "dip" near the arch, its tough. It fools the eye there.

Leave a comment:

• mfiore
    replied

Thanks for the sound advice! Makes sense, Daren! (did I mention that I love this forum!)

I'll try to keep an eye on the height as I make my way up the dome.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X