SE Minnesota insanity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SE Minnesota insanity

Since I bit the bullet and bought a saw, I had to say goodbye to the idea of buying some nice CAD software I've always wanted, and calculate the taper angles of the bricks the old-fashioned way, with pen, paper, and trig! Tomorrow the tops of the soldiers get lopped off.

Comment

Eric,

Pyramids were built without software - your approach will work just fine. God speed and good luck.

BTW, awesome saw - should be able to do great things!

Les...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Eric,
        you might like to check out my build as I cut my full length soldiers but not many other bricks in the dome brick rows.
        It all depends on what you want. The interior of my oven doesn't have overly big joins but they do get larger the higher the row. These can be reduced with significant cutting. Although i had a professional brick saw (pics in my build) I still didn't worry as I used the poor man's mortar and have no cracks after over 2 years. The outside of the dome is buried under the insulation and is never seen except during construction. The most important thing is that it works well, holds it heat and lasts your lifetime. OR you can make it very complex with possibly hundreds of cuts and numerous more rows of bricks needed for the dome.

Neill
        Prevention is better than cure, - do it right the first time!

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...-1-a-2005.html
        Neill’s kitchen underway
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f35/...rway-4591.html

Comment

I'm torn between practicality & speed, and knowing that the inspectors here walk around with micrometers in their front pockets...just kidding, but once I did have to re-dig a 220 ft long electrical service trench because it was 17 inches deep, not 18! I would like to keep my mortar joints less than 1/4 inch, so to that end I may have to do some cutting as I get higher in the dome.

Also I've found that cutting bricks is a rather pleasant, if not a little monotonous, undertaking. Watching that blade sear through the masonry makes my day job dissolve away.

On the other hand, my stomach and my friends are growing impatient for some finally decent pizza, and my girlfriend doesn't care for the big hole in my house. Hmmmm, there's the thought...get them to cut the bricks!

Best,
          Eric

Comment

Hmmmm, there's the thought...get them to cut the bricks!
            NO, bad move mate, unless you have a heap of them spare.
            Nope, just do it and control it yourself. You can always cut a row at a time (even after hours) and then cement them into place, cut the next row and cement them. At that rate you will have your dome done in a few days.

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
            Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

5 PM. The first of the floor bricks have been set. Finally!

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                NO, bad move mate, unless you have a heap of them spare.
                Nope, just do it and control it yourself. You can always cut a row at a time (even after hours) and then cement them into place, cut the next row and cement them. At that rate you will have your dome done in a few days.

Neill
                Neill, you are absolutely right on. There are those who just want pizza, and those who are infected by this oven building bug. I think these ovens are part our souls and egos, and I think I would have a hard time letting someone not bitten by the bug, make critical cuts.

Comment

Wow - that's the truth about being bitten by the bug! I've spent so much time studying the pictures and actually reading about mortar, and working with the wet saw and angle grinder...then someome comes over and is standing around watching, he picks up a brick and starts cutting and gets the angle right - ok...I'm thinking this could be good because then I don't have to climb down, then climb back up...then climb back down...BUT it was just beginners luck...he started going through bricks (and blade) and then he had to go in. AAAACK!
                  Oh well...I only have a few more cuts to plug up the dome, and I believe this is harder than that !@#$!! dome to arch transition! Especially considering the angle I have to stand to do the work. I ain't no spring chicken and I am definitely not in shape!!!
                  Yeah, so unless others are just as excited about building it right and get the focus you have, I'd just not let them cut your bricks...or mix your mortar...
                  c

Comment

Please don't get me wrong!
                    I am all for allowing 'capable' people from helping, or those who want to learn, but just to let anyone help to speed up the process without really knowing what to do, or how to do it, without considering the consequences of your heartfelt construction, well, I'd rather do it myself, take a little more time and have it done as well as could be expected!
                    After all, it is MY PROJECT and I want it done right, OK?

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                    Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Originally posted by nissanneill View Post
                      Please don't get me wrong!
                      I am all for allowing 'capable' people from helping, or those who want to learn, but just to let anyone help to speed up the process without really knowing what to do, or how to do it, without considering the consequences of your heartfelt construction, well, I'd rather do it myself, take a little more time and have it done as well as could be expected!
                      After all, it is MY PROJECT and I want it done right, OK?

Neill
                      I agree with you Neil,
                      My wife and I do our projects together, partly because our 5 boys have lives of their own, but we love working together and take pride in what we do. I'm 58 and she is ...well, still 29 so she says LOL but we run circles around most younger people.
                      We want things done right so we do them ourselves, and it it ain't right, we have no one to blame but us.

Tom
                      Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

Comment

"I had to say goodbye to the idea of buying some nice CAD software I've always wanted"
                        FYI Google Sketchup (free) is actually pretty good.
                        Available from Google (duh)
                        Last edited by cecilB; 11-22-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Well folks, 2 hours with the saw, a brew, and this is today's progress. Tomorrow it's time to butter these guys.

Comment

Hi Eric,

Looks good, your off to a great start on your dome....

Cheers
                            Mark

Comment

Hey Eric,
                              a long time since your last report!
                              Unfortunately I'm too far away to lend a hand, but your project looks like it's on hold.
                              How's the weather over there affecting your progress as others on the forum are almost snowed in.
                              How is the 'other half' handling the 'inconvenience' in 'her' kitchen during the build?
                              Time to put up some more pics mate!

Neill

Neill’s Pompeiii #1
                              Neill’s kitchen underway

Comment

Hi, I posted a seperate thread re an Indoor oven and SPLATGIRL told me about this thread. I too built several outdoor ovens, my latest one at my present residence completed last year. I am not thinking of doing one inside my basement kitchen reno.

I though perhaps by code, building inspections would defer to woodburning fireplaces and would require a fresh air vent. Somone posted on here about ashes blowing around and my take would be that it should not be any worse than a fireplace since a WFO is deeper. I was planning on designing mine with the 4 inch vent duct in a channel under the WFO imbedded in the concrete slab under the vermiculite or fibre board. Then it would come out in the vent landing area just before the WFO door seal. The kind that fireplaces uses pivot up and point the fresh air to the fireplace so in my case it would point to the inside of the oven. When not in use, just close the vent down. Anyone think of drawbacks with this design?

Funny enough I did not see any details of a vent inclusion in the FB oven kits plans. They are certified for indoor use but no mention of how to integrate a vent into the plans.

Thx
                                Check out my build at:
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...uild-4678.html

Comment

Working...
                                X